• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Global warming

JimG.

Staff member
Man, you guys are as serious as a heart attack!

I like Domeskier's take, that's all. Stress will kill you faster than global warming.

JimG.

Staff member
Jim,

Ed's post was a Big Lebowski reference. Completely not serious

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Admittedly lost on me, not a movie watcher.

Never considered myself a nihilist; I believe in climate change, but I do not believe it is due solely to human activity. I think that assertion is absurd. I also do not believe that in the long term (think geological time) that any human activity has a long lasting effect on Earth.

What does scare me is groups of people who aggressively assert that climate change is caused only by humans to the exclusion of other theories and the notion that humans can "fix" climate change. I do not appreciate being labelled a "climate denier" (whatever the hell that means) because of my opinions. And I sure as hell don't want these aggressive humans who claim humanity is to blame for the problem also telling me that humans can "fix" it. That's insane.

Last edited:

Dickc

Admittedly lost on me, not a movie watcher.

Never considered myself a nihilist; I believe in climate change, but I do not believe it is due solely to human activity. I think that assertion is absurd. I also do not believe that in the long term (think geological time) that any human activity has a long lasting effect on Earth.

What does scare me is groups of people who aggressively assert that climate change is caused only by humans to the exclusion of other theories and the notion that humans can "fix" climate change. I do not appreciate being labelled a "climate denier" (whatever the hell that means) because of my opinions. And I sure as hell don't want these aggressive humans who claim humanity is to blame for the problem also telling me that humans can "fix" it. That's insane.

THIS!!! Those who think humans have that much control over mother nature are deluding themselves. Man is puny compared to Mother Nature!

Mapnut

THIS!!! Those who think humans have that much control over mother nature are deluding themselves. Man is puny compared to Mother Nature!
Ever look down when flying cross country in a plane? Man has completely transformed much of the earth. You really think that has no consequences?

yeggous

I'm going to regret this... but I thought some of you would want to know. I just published a brief post of the impacts of climate change on skiing in New England.
http://www.***************************/blogs/entry/8-climate-change-and-skiing-in-new-england/

BenedictGomez

Someone's actually worried if "their" ski experience will be bad 30 years from now due to Global Warming?

Awwww..... that's SO darn adorable!

I almost want to buy him a pony party and an ice cream cone to cheer him up.

VTKilarney

yeggous

Rogman

I'm going to assume that this is in reference to this paper:http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo3031.html
A number of right wing denialist rags have misrepresented it as meaning there is no global warming, the IPCC got it all wrong, etc. Not true, here is a rebuttal letter by the authors clarifying the meaning of their science http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/opinion/view/379. Also keep in mind that this is one paper, additional studies would be required to verify and confirm their findings. That's how this works...

granite

I'm going to assume that this is in reference to this paper:http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo3031.html
A number of right wing denialist rags have misrepresented it as meaning there is no global warming, the IPCC got it all wrong, etc. Not true, here is a rebuttal letter by the authors clarifying the meaning of their science http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/opinion/view/379. Also keep in mind that this is one paper, additional studies would be required to verify and confirm their findings. That's how this works...

Here is your grade on global warming: