Global warming - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming

It's sad that global warming is denied despite the lack of exports and money to support it.

I believe the scientific consensus that mankind is contributing to global warming. But I don't believe for a second that our models are nearly as accurate as the advocates would have you believe. I also believe that humans are very good at solving their way out of problems. (Food production, for example.).

For me, I'm all for reducing our reliance on oil - even for just political reasons. I can't stand it when global warming doomsayers also fight modern nuclear plants.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Then again Brexit is even dumber.
    We have a no political discussion rule here. This thread has skirted it, but your post is clearly over the line.

I would just point out that the markets don't share in your opinion. And this is coming from an EU citizen who has a lot to lose with Brexit as far as potential residence locations are concerned for myself and, more importantly, my children.

The earth has clearly been warming, but I have no idea if mankind is contributing to it or not.

Given how almost statistically improbably wrong the climate scientists models and predictions have been over the past 20'ish years, I believe the "I'm not sure" answer is clearly more logical than an arrogant, "yes", or uninformed, "no", answer.

The irony, however, is that if they're correct and its' man's fault, there's virtually nothing that can done about it anyway. Not unless you can perhaps somehow force every human being on planet earth to become a vegetarian. Most other "solutions" are akin to pissing in the ocean in an attempt to lower its' salinity, and that's IMO where the aforementioned "money grabs" in this subject tend to rear their heads - in the proposed "solutions" to "save" the earth.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    I can't stand it when global warming doomsayers also fight modern nuclear plants.
    +1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    We have a no political discussion rule here. This thread has skirted it, but your post is clearly over the line.

I would just point out that the markets don't share in your opinion. And this is coming from an EU citizen who has a lot to lose with Brexit as far as potential residence locations are concerned for myself and, more importantly, my children.
    I think its more accurate to say 'some' markets don't share his opinion. Equities are up a bit, but the pound is down 20% against the dollar and 12% against the Euro since the Vote. Clearly holding the pound has been a big loser since the vote.

The threat is real. The science is solid. The disinformation has been effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogman View Post
    The threat is real. The science is solid. The disinformation has been effective.
    Yep. Another +1,000,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogman View Post
    The science is solid.
    Care to elaborate?

To make the opposite case I would start with 95-98% of IPCC computer models outpacing reality in terms of surface/satellite warming. Could also point to NOAA's historical temperature data adjustments resulting in an exaggerated warming trend -- whether or not this was the intent. And then a quick read up on ClimateGate will give some insight into the internal politics of climate science and silencing/blacklisting of dissenting views, which appear to be for more numerous than John Kerry or Al Gore would like us to believe.

All in all, we're talking 0.8 degrees celcius warming since 1850 -- and no warming in the last 20 years. Doesn't strike me as much of a threat.
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Killington: 12/15] [Mount Snow: 11/27]

2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 4/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    but the pound is down 20% against the dollar and 12% against the Euro since the Vote. Clearly holding the pound has been a big loser since the vote.
    You are assuming that a lower pound is bad for everybody. That is simply not true. There are always both winners and losers when currency fluctuates.

Thread Information