Global warming - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 214

Thread: Global warming

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Care to elaborate?



    To make the opposite case I would start with 95-98% of IPCC computer models outpacing reality in terms of surface/satellite warming. Could also point to NOAA's historical temperature data adjustments resulting in an exaggerated warming trend -- whether or not this was the intent. And then a quick read up on ClimateGate will give some insight into the internal politics of climate science and silencing/blacklisting of dissenting views, which appear to be for more numerous than John Kerry or Al Gore would like us to believe.

    All in all, we're talking 0.8 degrees celcius warming since 1850 -- and no warming in the last 20 years. Doesn't strike me as much of a threat.
    Al Gore's mid-2000s crusade was the absolute worst thing that ever happened with respect to addressing the very real threat of global warming. He is a polarizing politician (and a douchebag in my personal opinion), and he turned global warming into a left/right issue.

    In addition, there are indeed alarmists (some with a political agenda, some without), whose predictions have failed to materialize for one reason or another and as a result have understandably sowed the seeds of doubt.

    There's also the issue of the mainstream media's lack of credibility. They've shown time and time again that they can't be trusted. The fact that they're fully on board the global warming wagon further sows the seeds of doubt (and understandably so).

    I'll also admit it's true there are leftists who want to use the need to address global warming as a way to backdoor more government and global government. I won't deny that. But that's just one more reason why conservatives need to take off their ideological glasses, acknowledge the threat, and help to craft a bipartisan plan of attack.

    But the issue has become too polarized, so I have no hope that collective action will ever happen. The only slim hope lies with the market-driven development of a carbon sequestration technology. But even if that technology is fully developed there will still be political questions regarding how, where, and when it should be used. And the fact is that most people HATE winter and want a warmer planet. SO, basically, skiers are screwed.

  2. #22
    Fun fact: there is a 135 page long thread discussing global warming on Killingtonzone where quite literally no one has changed their beliefs. We've gone down this road how many times on AZ with the same results?

    I liken the subject to religion at this point in today's culture. There are no "discussions" just folks wanting to hear themselves talk. Folks believe what they do and only accept facts that support their stance.

    But by all means. Have at it.....

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #23
    wtcobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North of the Notch
    Posts
    825
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

    @mtncobber on the instafeeds.

  4. #24
    Good response Los. Although did not address my point that warming has been minor over 150 years and seems to have paused for the last 20 anyway. So where is the urgency?

    You acknowledge that the alarmists have been discredited by their own alarmist predictions not coming to pass, yet you seem to be still alarmed by the prospect of global warming.

    Appreciate you response and not trying to badger you, but curious why you remain alarmed.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by wtcobb View Post
    hahahaha thanks for the reality check

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Good response Los. Although did not address my point that warming has been minor over 150 years and seems to have paused for the last 20 anyway. So where is the urgency?

    You acknowledge that the alarmists have been discredited by their own alarmist predictions not coming to pass, yet you seem to be still alarmed by the prospect of global warming.

    Appreciate you response and not trying to badger you, but curious why you remain alarmed.
    Thanks Tuna. I'll send you a PM. Just trying to heed deadhead's observation....

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Fun fact: there is a 135 page long thread discussing global warming on Killingtonzone where quite literally no one has changed their beliefs. We've gone down this road how many times on AZ with the same results?


    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    +1 ...

  8. #28
    fbrissette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montreal/Jay Peak
    Posts
    1,385
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I liken the subject to religion at this point in today's culture. There are no "discussions" just folks wanting to hear themselves talk. Folks believe what they do and only accept facts that support their stance.
    The problem is that people like you and a few others like to debate about this despite solely lacking any formal training critical to understanding the science behind it.

    Stating that climate models are dramatically wrong (e.g. Tuna and Gomez) simply underline their lack of understanding of the physics of the climate, the decoupled nature of climate models and the real earth, and the role of natural variability in modulating the climate. Climate models CANNOT (and I will repeat it - they CANNOT) perfectly track the earth temperature. The roughly steady-state atmospheric temperatures between 2000-2012 CANNOT be represented by ANY climate model expect by luck (i.e. resulting from roughly in-phase cooling resulting from natural variability).

    It's only religion to people like you, BG, Tuna and idiots like Al Gore. It should be about science and only science. But people like you don't want to listen to the scientists. That's fine. You're probably very happy with your 'anti-science' new government.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    The problem is that people like you and a few others like to debate about this despite solely lacking any formal training critical to understanding the science behind it.

    Stating that climate models are dramatically wrong (e.g. Tuna and Gomez) simply underline their lack of understanding of the physics of the climate, the decoupled nature of climate models and the real earth, and the role of natural variability in modulating the climate. Climate models CANNOT (and I will repeat it - they CANNOT) perfectly track the earth temperature. The roughly steady-state atmospheric temperatures between 2000-2012 CANNOT be represented by ANY climate model expect by luck (i.e. resulting from roughly in-phase cooling resulting from natural variability).

    It's only religion to people like you, BG, Tuna and idiots like Al Gore. It should be about science and only science. But people like you don't want to listen to the scientists. That's fine. You're probably very happy with your 'anti-science' new government.
    Woah buddy

    Suggestion: before you start labeling someone "people like you", you might want to get your fact straight about those you are labeling first.

    Go ahead and search this forums history from start to finish or anywhere else on the internet and you will not find a single comment by me suggesting I disagree with the science behind global warming concerns. You are way off the mark regarding your interpretation of my beliefs.

    My point was quite simple. People are fully divided on this subject and tend to cherry pick only the data to support their particular point of view. It's for that reason that I don't like these debates and don't contribute what I know or believe.



    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

  10. #30
    fbrissette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montreal/Jay Peak
    Posts
    1,385
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Woah buddy

    Suggestion: before you start labeling someone "people like you", you might want to get your fact straight about those you are labeling first.

    Go ahead and search this forums history from start to finish or anywhere else on the internet and you will not find a single comment by me suggesting I disagree with the science behind global warming concerns. You are way off the mark regarding your interpretation of my beliefs.

    My point was quite simple. People are fully divided on this subject and tend to cherry pick only the data to support their particular point of view. It's for that reason that I don't like these debates and don't contribute what I know or believe.
    Fair enough. May be I read too much in your post no 5. Blame it on the frickin rainfall of Wednesday and Thursday followed by yet another freeze-up. Makes me mad as hell.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:39 PM.