What should you wear inside your ski jacket? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    I prefer a tuxedo, with bow tie and boutonniere.
    Scruffy, is that you occasionally caught on video doing flips with briefcase, while in attire...?
    SteveD

My set-up:

1. One of three base-layers that I actually like of the 5-6 that I own. None are too expensive. One is wool, the other two are synthetic. One is a pretty thick UA thing with a half-turtle neck sorta thing that I use on very cold days. All three are fairly loose fitting. All three can be tucked into your ski pants.

2. Lucky patriots T-shirt - this is a basic T-shirt with a patriots logo made out of synthetic material. It feels like a light workout shirt. I wear this every time I ski, even if I ski 3-4 days in a row. I have been known to wash it in the sink of my hotel room / rented condo / buddies house.

3. Optional weird poly-ester thin sweater-vest thing - given as a gift as part of a golf-shirt combo. Its got a V-neck and it is sleeveless. I use this on cold days (5-15F) as a third layer.

When the temp is in the single digits its tempting to exchange a layer for a thicker one but this is often a mistake. With my set-up your arms can get a little cold towards the top of slower lifts but otherwise you are fine. This is perfect because you won't be sweating bullets in deep snow, in glades or slack country / back country, or on long mogul runs.

If its frost-bite weather (0 degrees to -15F) then I do double up on the base layers with a tighter synthetic layer and then the wool layer. I never double up if I'm using the thick under-armor thing. I have skied a lot in -5 to -10 degree ambient temp (before wind-chill) and have been fairly successful. I do tend to use foot warmers since I lost my warmest pair of wool socks and can't find any even remotely close in warmth - the ski specific socks mostly suck anyway IMO.

The point of this post is that you don't need expensive stuff, or even ski-specific stuff. Golf shirts work great as a layer. Base layers are important. Find what works for you!

Synthetics every time. I'f go for something that wicks away the moisture from the inside out. The thought of wearing cotton just gives me the chills.

I like wearing a crew neck sweater under my ski jacket.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Under Armor ColdGear. And a thin shirt over that.

A Northface packable down layer. If I do not need it it rolls up into a neat little ball yet when on is quite warm - better than a sweatshirt. BTW they are pretty cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshall's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

I wear:

1) UnderArmour LS loose gear (if it's really cold I go UnderArmour LS coldgear)
    2) Loose/baggy light'ish sweatshirt
    3) Ski jacket
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information