• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

machski

Yeah, I was thinking he meant a different WH. Planned to hit it at 1:00 - but my headwall anxiety got the best of me and I wigged out on lift ride up. Hubby and 11yo son went down. They said top was nice but after headwall it was a thin layer that was gone. I've learned my 11yo has great trail assessment lol. SR did best they could but days that require sharp edges I usually don't like. Obsession was scary icy except on far edge. I took two runs Saturday and a few hours of stuff on Sunday. Hohum, sides of scraped off trails get monotonous. Granted I didn't really go exploring - warm house was more inviting. Trail of weekend was closed upper upper cut on Sunday - that inch of squall snow on top of whatever was there made for nice turns. Edited: WH was best the 12/30 and 1/1 - dates are a blur but we hiked up because lift was closed for wind and got 18" of freshies - THAT is WH at its best!
Well, sorry, you and Whitey missed the heat then. Got there first thing Sunday just as guns were going off. Super soft, not a bit of ice, and had yet to set to styrofoam texture. Was a blast, but by 10 the masses were on it sideslipping and plowing it. No doubt it skied nothing like early turns after noon.

BenedictGomez

This event tomorrow is better east to west. Maine looks all clear for cold, NH's probably safe too. The battle is in ADK & Vermont. As modeled the cold hangs on in Vermont barely, but ADK may see some ice and snow and maybe even a bit of rain, but hopefully the elevation will keep everyone all snow. This is a gift compared to how it was modeled not long ago, and with any luck might completely alter the way next weekend skis. Fingers crossed.

gladerider

I really need to make it to Whiteface. Part of the reason I love Wildcat so much is next to Stowe I think it offers the best long run, big vertical skiing off a single chair in New England. I know it takes a couple lifts to access that 3200 at Whiteface, but at 1100 feet more vert than Cat/Stowe I'm sure it's hella fun to ski it all in one shot.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeah, shooting from upper skyward off the summit chair down to the base gondola in one shot definitely gets my legs working full time. if you haven't tried, i think you are missing out. the upper and lower skyward combined is the longest steep pitch i can think of in the east coast.

about ten years ago i was lucky enough to get the best timing. i drove through the winter storm that year to get to WF. i think they got like 2 feet of snow. WF i think is one of the best mountains when you get powder lucky. with powder, my favorite is castle rock at Sugarbush. but, WF comes very close.

VTKilarney

Burke held up better than I was expecting, but the skiing has definitely taken a turn for the worse. The thaw did the most damage on the lower third of the mountain. It was still decent skiing this weekend if you stuck to the groomers, but it's frustrating because Burke had set up quite nicely just before the thaw. Getting into a groove was tricky. The conditions definitely made you feel a little apprehensive when trying to get some speed up.

I was shocked at how few people were left on Monday afternoon. At one point, I counted nine empty chairs ahead of me on the Mid-Burke Express. And the weather was gorgeous.

SkiFanE

Well, sorry, you and Whitey missed the heat then. Got there first thing Sunday just as guns were going off. Super soft, not a bit of ice, and had yet to set to styrofoam texture. Was a blast, but by 10 the masses were on it sideslipping and plowing it. No doubt it skied nothing like early turns after noon.

So for two hours right after snow was made it was wonderful. Great. Too many caveats to say it was a great day for WH. I usually cling to right side from top to bottom - and my view of WH could be severely different. If there is ice in the middle but soft bumps all along edge - I'm happy when 90% are cursing. I'm your 10% lol.

Whatever mkther nature has in store for us this week will do much better than snow guns - crossing fingers!

yeah, shooting from upper skyward off the summit chair down to the base gondola in one shot definitely gets my legs working full time. if you haven't tried, i think you are missing out. the upper and lower skyward combined is the longest steep pitch i can think of in the east coast.

about ten years ago i was lucky enough to get the best timing. i drove through the winter storm that year to get to WF. i think they got like 2 feet of snow. WF i think is one of the best mountains when you get powder lucky. with powder, my favorite is castle rock at Sugarbush. but, WF comes very close.

One day, I'll have the right timing. Looks like lots of choices with the right snow. I saw tracks under, Easystreet,

Tin

Las Vegas metro area has 1,900,000 million people. Much bigger then Hartford and Quebec City. The reason Las Vages does not have pro sports teams is Leagues were concerned sending player to Vegas would encourage them to gamble.

Hartford can hardly support an AHL team these days, I said Seattle because of their new projected facilities and what the fan base of the Seahawk's has become. The smaller Canadian cities are not bad for NHL teams, just look at Winnipeg. Team comes back, they sell out season tickets in something like 18 minutes, and a few years later and they are still selling out. Not to mention Winnipeg also supports an AHL franchise. I still am unsure why the AHL's Citadels had such low numbers from 1999-2001 though. Las Vegas will be popular at first but it will fade.

dlague

Las Vegas metro area has 1,900,000 million people. Much bigger then Hartford and Quebec City. The reason Las Vages does not have pro sports teams is Leagues were concerned sending player to Vegas would encourage them to gamble.
Well will have a team in one of the most popular sports leagues NFL when the Raiders move.

Beginning of a trend!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hartford can hardly support an AHL team these days, I said Seattle because of their new projected facilities and what the fan base of the Seahawk's has become. The smaller Canadian cities are not bad for NHL teams, just look at Winnipeg. Team comes back, they sell out season tickets in something like 18 minutes, and a few years later and they are still selling out. Not to mention Winnipeg also supports an AHL franchise. I still am unsure why the AHL's Citadels had such low numbers from 1999-2001 though. Las Vegas will be popular at first but it will fade.

Agreed. I don't see an NHL team being sustainable in Vegas like I do an NFL team. I'm not sure MLB or NBA would work either due to less gambling appeal than a NFL franchise. For the most part the population in Vegas is too transient and there's so many other things for people do to that the appeal of going to a game will diminish; same as the Florida Panthers. Though with the Panthers, their stadium location is the pits, so that's part of the problem.

BenedictGomez

I think an NHL team in Vegas will be successful, partially because it will be the only professional game in town. Also because when you look at local population, there's no bleed-off to surrounding areas because.....well..... Las Vegas is surrounded by nothing.

True, it is a transient place, but a lot of those transient people are northerners. I think they have a better outlook for success than places like Florida and Nashville, etc... and those places have sustained teams (albeit not greatly successful) for a few decades now.

dlague

I think an NHL team in Vegas will be successful, partially because it will be the only professional game in town. Also because when you look at local population, there's no bleed-off to surrounding areas because.....well..... Las Vegas is surrounded by nothing.

True, it is a transient place, but a lot of those transient people are northerners. I think they have a better outlook for success than places like Florida and Nashville, etc... and those places have sustained teams (albeit not greatly successful) for a few decades now.
Except on Sundays and occasional Thursdays or Mondays.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Merely comparing the population of Las Vegas with that of Quebec City is insufficient. The real question is the percentage of residents that would support a hockey team. Hockey is much bigger in some areas of the continent than others.

Tin

Merely comparing the population of Las Vegas with that of Quebec City is insufficient. The real question is the percentage of residents that would support a hockey team. Hockey is much bigger in some areas of the continent than others.

see Atlanta Thrashers

BenedictGomez

see Atlanta Thrashers

And they lost an NHL franchise twice!

To be fair though, the Thrashers were mismanaged HORRIBLY from day 1.

I dont know many places that could sustain cellar-dwelling year after year and not result in failure. In ELEVEN seasons they missed the playoffs TEN times. That's horrendous. And the one year they made the playoffs? They were swept. Never won a single playoff game. What misery for the fans. Good luck selling season tickets in that environment.

KustyTheKlown

mildly annoyed - had a hotel for this weekend in stowe booked. had to cancel or commit by 1/13. weather was looking shitty and didnt want to waste my stowe and sugarbush 5pack tickets, so i cancelled and booked the same hotel for both 1/27 and 2/3 weekends. now 1/27 looks shitty and this weekend looks like it will be quite good.

in a bit of a panic i booked free cancellation hotels in rutland, stowe, and lincoln NH for this weekend. rutland is easiest/cheapest, but i dont want to use more killington max pass days, trying to save them for spring skiing. if i do stowe, it's stowe and sugarbush, but i promised my girlfriend i'd save my 5packs for those places to go with her, and she's probably not available this weekend. MRG 5pack won't get used, even with a dump i doubt they open much terrain. if i do lincoln i'd probably do sunday river saturday, drive to lincoln, and hit loon on the way home.

will decide by thursday after we see how tonight's storm plays out and what terrain is opened.

bdfreetuna

I would be mildly annoyed that you booked three rooms knowing you'll cancel two of them, potentially blocking my own last minute plans.

But I kid. I do the same sort of thing except I just wait till the last minute and stay in some unheard of motor lodge. Hoping this storm is enough to freshen and open up Stowe this weekend as that would be my 1st choice.

snoseek

mildly annoyed - had a hotel for this weekend in stowe booked. had to cancel or commit by 1/13. weather was looking shitty and didnt want to waste my stowe and sugarbush 5pack tickets, so i cancelled and booked the same hotel for both 1/27 and 2/3 weekends. now 1/27 looks shitty and this weekend looks like it will be quite good.

in a bit of a panic i booked free cancellation hotels in rutland, stowe, and lincoln NH for this weekend. rutland is easiest/cheapest, but i dont want to use more killington max pass days, trying to save them for spring skiing. if i do stowe, it's stowe and sugarbush, but i promised my girlfriend i'd save my 5packs for those places to go with her, and she's probably not available this weekend. MRG 5pack won't get used, even with a dump i doubt they open much terrain. if i do lincoln i'd probably do sunday river saturday, drive to lincoln, and hit loon on the way home.

will decide by thursday after we see how tonight's storm plays out and what terrain is opened.

Wait, where are you seeing shitty weather going into next week? Serious question as I thought overall things were on the mend moving forward

KustyTheKlown

Wait, where are you seeing shitty weather going into next week? Serious question as I thought overall things were on the mend moving forward

somehow the rain for tonight and tomorrow turned into snow and the snow for next monday and tuesday turned into rain. opensnow and single chair menton it, and the 10 day on weather.com for killington and mansfield both show liquid next week.

opensnow:
Extended Forecast

A large region of high pressure extending along the eastern seaboard will dominate on Thursday and actually looks to persist through the remainder of the weekend. This will bring some clear to partly cloudy skies, and also some above-average temperatures ranging from the mid to upper 30’s and even low 40’s.

A much larger rain system is looking to affect New England late Monday into Tuesday of next week, but of course there is still a lot of variability in the forecasts. Check back in tomorrow for continuous updates.

single chair:
Unfortunately, we are still contending with the abomination that is this current weather pattern. Some of the worst of the thawing will actually be felt across the Midwest this week but temperatures will remain above normal in the wake of our Tuesday night/Wednesday snow event approaching or exceeding the freezing mark on Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the current week. The possibility of some sleet and freezing rain is possible on Saturday as a wave of moisture slides through the region from west to east. The real worry though is the system early next week which looks to be a real doozy of a storm and will wrap itself up across the Middle Mississippi valley on Sunday the 22nd and in doing so pump some very mild air into New England. This all happening before precipitation arrives early next week. Based on the information available now, the best we can hope for out of this giant storm system is a rain changing to snow situation but it is likely that temperatures rise into the 40's again at some point accompanied by a substantial period of rain.

basically, the totally unreliable 10 day outlooks have me in a nervous tizzy.

snoseek

Hmmm yeah that would suck but its still a long way out and plenty of time to change back. Models also tend to flip flop a lot when a pattern change is on the doorstep so I bet they go back and forth until then.

But jesus please no more rain.

Edit-wow stuff really did flip....IDK ill stay hopeful.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

yea, this weekend will be super pleasant tho with the new snow and comfortable temps. i should convince the gf to change her plans and come to stowe/sugarbush this weekend. will see how the snow falls and the ropes drop over the next two days.