• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

Smellytele

With the thaw, rain, freeze cycle coming up for NH I think I may skip this weekend. Pats are on Sat night so not a total loss of a ski weekend. Maybe do a day trip on Monday if things look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY'ers have no one to root for this weekend...

BenedictGomez

Looking like there might be some snow showers Friday along the boundary where the invading cold air bumps into the retreating warm air.

Probably wont be much at all, but be ready for every ski area to post, "IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!" Facebook pictures showing it on Friday ahead of the financially key MLK weekend. LOL

kingslug

Well..with all the money you can save by not skiing the east...you can head west for the best conditions on earth...last year 27 days west..3 east...this year is better but still will do 2/3 out west.
Stay at cheap motels..don't splurge on food..it can be done..

bdfreetuna

Looking like there might be some snow showers Friday along the boundary where the invading cold air bumps into the retreating warm air.

Probably wont be much at all, but be ready for every ski area to post, "IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!" Facebook pictures showing it on Friday ahead of the financially key MLK weekend. LOL

Would it be too much to hope for that these snow showers bond with the wet surface as it freezes at just the right time to prevent a total hockey rink scenario?

Tin

I'd much rather have a firm, crowded, post freeze up day on the hill, than not be on the hill at all!! This is why in the Northeast, having a ski that's under 85 in the waist, with a sub 15m radius sidecut and some well tuned edges are an important tool in one's quiver, and usually way more used than a pair of 100+ waist, full rocker powder skis in the East!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

You should really try a 100+ waist ski that is heavy with little to no tip rocker. It's like charging hard pack on a metal edged 2x4, actually makes me enjoy skiing groomers a bit.

4aprice

Well..with all the money you can save by not skiing the east...you can head west for the best conditions on earth...last year 27 days west..3 east...this year is better but still will do 2/3 out west.
Stay at cheap motels..don't splurge on food..it can be done..

Its out of control out there this year. Powder after powder day. Not up to where you are but I'll get at least 14 out there on top of the 40 some odd I get here in the east. If you really want to save and have a great time go after April 1st. Prices drop and the most years the snow keeps coming.

Mlk weekend will be spent here on the local mountain, probably ice skating, but its all practice for up north and out west anyway, so you won't hear any complaining from me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

tumbler

I'll be working on my alcohol tolerance, it's rounding out into mid season form.

dlague

Its out of control out there this year. Powder after powder day. Not up to where you are but I'll get at least 14 out there on top of the 40 some odd I get here in the east. If you really want to save and have a great time go after April 1st. Prices drop and the most years the snow keeps coming.

Mlk weekend will be spent here on the local mountain, probably ice skating, but its all practice for up north and out west anyway, so you won't hear any complaining from me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Well I will be getting after some of that snow this weekend. Crazy crazy snow totals. A Basin is high on the list then it will be Breck, Keystone or Loveland. It has snowed between 50-73 inches at those resorts with another 10 or so more inches between now and Thursday. Then we get a few days break in time for the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

You should really try a 100+ waist ski that is heavy with little to no tip rocker. It's like charging hard pack on a metal edged 2x4, actually makes me enjoy skiing groomers a bit.

as always, i like the cut of your jib. big burly heavy stiff 100+ underfoot plow thru and over anything and everything skis ftw.

kingslug

I only have 1 ski I use anymore..105 under foot. I designed it for pretty much anything and Pete Wagner built it..handles anything I throw at it. My old Rossi's with double rocker..didn't fare so well here.

BenedictGomez

Anyone happen to be skiing in n.VT anywhere today? The rain to this point hasnt been as bad as was depicted, but I'm wondering how everything's been holding up and if there's been any fog and/or "warm breeze" snow loss?

KustyTheKlown

yea i cancelled sugarloaf for this weekend and sugarbush/Stowe for next weekend. really hurts to cancel. I'm gonna do mountain creek tomorrow night, and maybe Stratton Sunday or Monday after they've had a chance to resurface. can't stand missing a weekend. will probably do Stratton or okemo for a day next weekend instead of Stowe. Booked Stowe hotel for weekend of 27th and feb 3rd and praying for a change. I hate missing weekends. I want my 50 days

dlague

Wow - not good! Look at what is coming your way. Did not look to bad today so far, the worst is yet to come.

radar.jpg

snoseek

Looks like mtb season is gonna be back on once the ground freezes back up!

I have a 4-6 week lay off coming up on Feb 1st so here's to hoping for a pattern shift. Till then I'm switching back to pedaling.

Smellytele

Looks like mtb season is gonna be back on once the ground freezes back up!

I have a 4-6 week lay off coming up on Feb 1st so here's to hoping for a pattern shift. Till then I'm switching back to pedaling.
HMMM...
You live out in Tahoe and they have a few years of subpar snow fall then you move back east and...