• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

mister moose

This weekend is easy....

#1 wear your goggles because there's going to be a bunch of snowmaking going on

#2 If it's not groomed or atleast not groomed and NOT had fresh snow made on it, you really don't want to think about it

#3 The woods won't be in play for any sane person, even if there looks like there's plenty of snow in them

#4 If where you're skiing isn't known for their snowmaking firepower, chances are you won't have many choices for ways down

#5 Any day on the hill is way better than a day not on the hill in my book ;-)

#6 Monday will be better than Sunday which will better than Saturday. More gun snow and multiple re-grooms count.

kingslug

I've been going on what my club calls a snow chaser to Utah every december..and for the past 5 years have it on the head every time..28 inches fell this time while we where there. Trip costs 600 bucks, my airfare costs 350.. you stay at the cliff. I get the aerly flight so I can get an afternoon in after we get there. This wards off the depression..for when I get back and there's nothing but ice to slide around on...at least I got my powder fix for the time being. This does wear off soon though...like...now...

Zermatt

#6 Monday will be better than Sunday which will better than Saturday. More gun snow and multiple re-grooms count.

That's what I was thinking, might skip skiing Saturday and focus on Sunday/Monday.

Historically, what is the most crowded day of the long weekend? I assume Saturday.

Jully

That's what I was thinking, might skip skiing Saturday and focus on Sunday/Monday.

Historically, what is the most crowded day of the long weekend? I assume Saturday.

Yes.

The way I see it in most years is Saturday is a madhouse, Sunday is like a busy normal Saturday and Monday is about as crowded as a busy Sunday.

Tin

Looks like Mad River Valley got the worst of it. They did not have much snow at lower elevations when I was there this week. MRG is closed and Bush lost all natural trails going from 111 to 68 trails. Not quite the epic meltdown of 2014 when K went from 100% to 40 trails, they are down to 108. Pico lost about 20. NH and the Whites really dodged it.

Zermatt

Looks like Mad River Valley got the worst of it. They did not have much snow at lower elevations when I was there this week. MRG is closed and Bush lost all natural trails going from 111 to 68 trails. Not quite the epic meltdown of 2014 when K went from 100% to 40 trails, they are down to 108. Pico lost about 20. NH and the Whites really dodged it.

Pico is worse than they are reporting I have a feeling. Written report says likely down to 9.

drjeff

Gotta give the areas the better part of the morning to asses the damage, and groom things out to asses the trail counts. With when the cold air finally arrived, the cats haven't had a bunch of time to get to as many trails and groom them as will likely be open either later today or by tomorrow.

Pretty much though, you can cross off the majority of the natural snow terrain at most places right now

Tin

Pico is worse than they are reporting I have a feeling. Written report says likely down to 9.

OUCH!

Gotta give the areas the better part of the morning to asses the damage, and groom things out to asses the trail counts. With when the cold air finally arrived, the cats haven't had a bunch of time to get to as many trails and groom them as will likely be open either later today or by tomorrow.

Pretty much though, you can cross off the majority of the natural snow terrain at most places right now

I'm thinking with the refreeze tomorrow could be lower. Typical January thaw/freeze.

cdskier

For Sugarbush, the report says they still need to assess the natural trails and may reopen them. I'd expect they will reopen many of the upper mountain natural trails even if they are rock solid after the freeze. They won't be worth skiing even if they open them though. On the MRG cam things actually look better than I expected on what you can see.

tumbler

MRG has the main mountain closed for the weekend which probably means more people at SB. Looking at the time lapse snow stake camera at the SB summit looks like they lost about 3-5" of snow so not too much damage. What has me concerned is that their snowmaking philosophy is to pound a trail for a week then move on and never come back. They do not bounce around and resurface.

cdskier

MRG has the main mountain closed for the weekend which probably means more people at SB. Looking at the time lapse snow stake camera at the SB summit looks like they lost about 3-5" of snow so not too much damage. What has me concerned is that their snowmaking philosophy is to pound a trail for a week then move on and never come back. They do not bounce around and resurface.

The steeps at the summit must be a skating rink as I see they closed Organgrinder and Ripcord on the trail report. A thaw/freeze right before a holiday weekend wouldn't be a bad time for SB to change their snow-making philosophy and try to dust a bunch of trails. I doubt they will do that though. At least they are putting some snow down on Downspout. That's a good choice to resurface.

SIKSKIER

I think most are having issues right now.
Sunday River:Update 9:15AM: The South Ridge Express, Sundance Surface and North Peak Express lifts are open. All other lifts remain on hold for wind and grooming, keep an eye out for updates as more lifts and trails will come online.
Sugarloaf:Today at the Loaf 10:25am UPDATE: Sawduster, Skidway, and the Moosecalator are open; all other scheduled lifts remain on wind hold. Continue to check back here for the most up-to-date information
This seems the comman theme today along with many wind holds.Sounds real inviting.

Last edited:

mister moose

Yes.

The way I see it in most years is Saturday is a madhouse, Sunday is like a busy normal Saturday and Monday is about as crowded as a busy Sunday.

Agree for most years. Last year was exceptionally busy due to being the first decent skiing the entire season. This year will be near the opposite. If I had to guess, I'd say some will come ski, some will stay home. Those that come ski will ski both days, since they're here already and paid for it. I'd look for reduced levels to where Saturday is a normal Saturday, Sunday is a repeat, and Monday is a usual Sunday.

BenedictGomez

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a realist, but the forecast for next week is horrendous as well. Monday and Tuesday are cold without precipitation, then you might want to hit the snooze button until roughly January 25th. :(

BenedictGomez

I'd look for reduced levels to where Saturday is a normal Saturday, Sunday is a repeat, and Monday is a usual Sunday.

I feel like this is about the 4th out of 5 years or so the hills have had financially rotten luck around MLK weekend. This year will be bad, last year we all know about, and 2 of the prior 3 years brutal cold (sub zero at times) kept many away.

They've had some rotten President's Weekends in that timeframe as well with brutal cold, and one time I recall (4 or 5 years ago?) where the winds were so brutal much shut down.

mister moose

My approach:

1) Find a resort/trail that will have top to bottom snowmaking going.
2) Ski that trail.

BenedictGomez

This is the sort of weekend that I worry about from a safety perspective.

Increased crowds comprised of once-or-twice a year skiers with a big cohort of those being low-level intermediates (#1 danger group IMO), with icy smooth surfaces that make stopping a challenge = a recipe for tragedy.