• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

Zermatt

Apparently Pico can't groom trails, run lifts and snowmaking all at the same time. Sounds like Killington is stealing their snowmaking crew.

bdfreetuna

This is the sort of weekend that I worry about from a safety perspective.

Increased crowds comprised of once-or-twice a year skiers with a big cohort of those being low-level intermediates (#1 danger group IMO), with icy smooth surfaces that make stopping a challenge = a recipe for tragedy.

Mountain ops preparing for this weekend..
13269538.jpg

tumbler

The steeps at the summit must be a skating rink as I see they closed Organgrinder and Ripcord on the trail report. A thaw/freeze right before a holiday weekend wouldn't be a bad time for SB to change their snow

Downspout could use it every night!

chuckstah

Skied Wawa for a few hours. Forgot to take pics but these describe the conditions
9d554016fb56bf702e1e9854d6924cf5.jpg

Trails double vroomed
6cf16bb1a440e8117b7739519ec717e1.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Skied Pats peak this morning. I was originally going to either pico or Bolton. Glad I stayed at the home Mtn. Hit 2nd chair, Soft groomers to start then it was hardening up when I left at 12:30. Fun morning with the groomer skis.

cdskier

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a realist, but the forecast for next week is horrendous as well. Monday and Tuesday are cold without precipitation, then you might want to hit the snooze button until roughly January 25th. :(

After next weekend it looks like at the very least we'll be starting from square one on many lower elevation trails that don't have a snowmaking base... :-(

Puck it

Cannon at 3700'

[FONT=&quot]
Tonight​
Mostly clear, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -36. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 35 mph.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Saturday​
Sunny, with a high near 13. Wind chill values as low as -37. Blustery, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph.
[/FONT]

snoseek

Cannon at 3700'

[FONT="][RIGHT]Tonight[/RIGHT]
Mostly clear, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -36. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 35 mph.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]
Saturday​
Sunny, with a high near 13. Wind chill values as low as -37. Blustery, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph.
[/FONT]

haha brutal. Welp December was fun...I'm out till things get fun again!

jrmagic

This weekend is easy....

#1 wear your goggles because there's going to be a bunch of snowmaking going on

#2 If it's not groomed or atleast not groomed and NOT had fresh snow made on it, you really don't want to think about it

#3 The woods won't be in play for any sane person, even if there looks like there's plenty of snow in them

#4 If where you're skiing isn't known for their snowmaking firepower, chances are you won't have many choices for ways down

#5 Any day on the hill is way better than a day not on the hill in my book ;-)

Perhaps I will run into you this time at Magic? I will be in the trails regardless and then figuring out all the different trails to the bar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Next weekend looks pretty darn nice to me, sunny mid-30s after a few days of similar temps. I'm thinking nice loose granular conditions.

Keeping an eye on it I might pull the trigger on a weekend at Jay Peak or Stowe if the forecast holds.

slatham

Next weekend looks pretty darn nice to me, sunny mid-30s after a few days of similar temps. I'm thinking nice loose granular conditions.

Keeping an eye on it I might pull the trigger on a weekend at Jay Peak or Stowe if the forecast holds.

One thing is for sure this winter, no 7+ day forecast holds. Sunny and 30's?

Jully

Next weekend as in the 21st and 22nd?

Smellytele

If there is anything left after the R@#$ in the middle of week.

Zermatt

7 hours after temps fell below freezing and Pico is still rolling out the hoses. I don't think they have made any snow yet today.

No staff and no water in the ponds.

Whitey

I think most are having issues right now.
Sunday River:Update 9:15AM: The South Ridge Express, Sundance Surface and North Peak Express lifts are open. All other lifts remain on hold for wind and grooming, keep an eye out for updates as more lifts and trails will come online.

Skied SR today. Not good. Only 2-3 lower lifts spinning. A lot of people we already walking back to their cars and leaving when we got there at 10AM. Very little open and what was was icy. Wildfire was about the only run that you could ski that had some carvable snow on it. I lapped it 5 times just because there wasn't much else worth skiing. Hope the groomers can do something with this.

Tin

7 hours after temps fell below freezing and Pico is still rolling out the hoses. I don't think they have made any snow yet today.

No staff and no water in the ponds.

Is every other post you make complaining about Pico?

I'm probably the last person who will ever stand up for K but this year they have had a massive shortage of employees and are seriously understaffed. It was all recently discussed on KZ, they are advertising in Albany and Burlington to try to find potential employees. Early in the year they couldn't find enough snow-makers, then there were issues with ticket window staffing over the holidays. Hell, upper management was helping load/unload K1 over Christmas/New Year's! Shops and restaurants all over the access road are having the same problems with finding new employees.

They just lost 60 trails overnight, had a massive freeze going into a holiday weekend, and right now all they are doing is resurfacing OL, SS and high traffic areas, I think that should tell you something.

Last edited: