Northeast Temps vs. Colorado

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Northeast Temps vs. Colorado

In prep for my first ski trip in the NE, does anyone have pointers for differences in temperatures or conditions?

Of course Heavenly is often windy and cold while places like Vail are easier to stay warm. I just want to make sure I have the equipment needed to be safe and warm.

Thanks!

S

Clothing's the same, but sharpen your skis.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Alright, plenty of ice to slice up? Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by SethMTaylor View Post
    Alright, plenty of ice to slice up? Thanks for the heads up!
    If you're talking this weekend, yes.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Don't do it. !!!
    You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming if I had to leave Colorado to come here right now. Just shoot me !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

OK Colorado literally gets between 4-6 feet of new snow over 7 days and the east has been in a warm up, some rain then refreeze cycle with limited snow and you want to do what? Ski the northeast? Snowmaking stopped around mid December here while snowmaking will be a requirement moving forward back east. Dry powder vs very firm? Hell no! I cannot imagine making that trade!

We were back east last weekend and while visiting family, we popped into the Ride and Ski Party at Pats Peak. I asked my wife if we should ski it for the fun of it and she wanted nothing to do with it.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Clothing's the same, but sharpen your skis.
    I disagree. The coldest days in Colorado are clear and calm and the thinner, drier air makes it feel much warmer. Meanwhile, in the NE the coldest days often have wind.

No comparison. Although, quite odd to say that Heavenly is cold versus Vail. Newsflash...you're in for a big surprise if you think Heavenly is cold.
    2016/2017
    Pico (December 10, 11, 26, 27, 30, 31 | January 1, 14, 15, 28, 29)
    Zermatt (February 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 1

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    I disagree. The coldest days in Colorado are clear and calm and the thinner, drier air makes it feel much warmer. Meanwhile, in the NE the coldest days often have wind.

No comparison. Although, quite odd to say that Heavenly is cold versus Vail. Newsflash...you're in for a big surprise if you think Heavenly is cold.
    Agree!

Unless the winds are really whipping, out West it usually feels about 10 to 15 degrees warmer to me than in the same air temp back East
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

I have not seen sub zero days yet but winter is young still. But it does feel warmer in Colorado compared to NE for sure. That being said, the winds here can be brutal as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    Last edited by dlague; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:03 PM.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Agree!

Unless the winds are really whipping, out West it usually feels about 10 to 15 degrees warmer to me than in the same air temp back East
    Agree! I've had about 65 ski days out west (CO, UT, WY, CA) in the last two seasons and a big issue for me was daring to dress light enough to stay comfortable on about 50 of those days. My main jacket and bib ski pants for the past few years skiing the mid-Atlantic were too warm and it's not like I have super heavy duty cold weather stuff. Recently I bought a very light weight upper shell and thin, no-bib ski pants for western use this winter. Hey now that I think about it, maybe that's my little contribution to the abnormal amount of cold and snow they are getting

Conversely, I couldn't put on enough clothes skiing in WV last Sunday due to low single digit air temps and high wind. Reached six thin layers on upper body at one point.

Abubob fixed me up with a proper helmet sticker:

Thread Information