The second half - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The second half

If it doesn't come through I WILL NEVER POST ANOTHER SNOW MAP. The GFS has a north bias and the Euro has been garbage most of the year. Inside 60 hours go elsewhere. If we all sacrifice virgins and farm animals maybe a similar "April Fool's Day Blizzard" to help out the snow starved southern NE ski areas?

Last edited by Tin; Jan 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    All aboard the JB train, 2nd half will produce.

Here's to things trending colder for the upcoming week! I've heard rumblings that we're in for a favorable pattern shift as we get into February.

Looks like a good one for the greens and whites.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

All over the place over night. Euro warmer, GFS colder, 4km NAM hates VT, 3km NAM likes from Stratton north, RGEM in line with yesterday's EURO for a more southern solution.

NWS Boston is discussing a serious ice issue for western Mass, NWS Burlington is really low on totals and NWS Grey appears more optimistic for heavier snow. Their maps don't line up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    All over the place over night. Euro warmer, GFS colder, 4km NAM hates VT, 3km NAM likes from Stratton north, RGEM in line with yesterday's EURO for a more southern solution.

NWS Boston is discussing a serious ice issue for western Mass, NWS Burlington is really low on totals and NWS Grey appears more optimistic for heavier snow. Their maps don't line up well.
    Calling for 5-7 at cannon.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

There is the GFS vs. NAM vs. EURO/RGEM.

If you toss the EURO/RGEM then yes, the Whites definitely make out best and 5-7" sounds good for most of them, maybe a little more at Wildcat. Paste with not a ton of wind so it shouldn't be blown around too much.

Go with EURO/RGEM which is a very possible solution, then most of the snow (4-8") is confined to the hills of Mass, Gunstock/Ragged south, and SVT with the Whites and K north getting 2-4" and less as you move north.

Just a wait and see situation as models, weather agencies, and news channel meteorologists are all over the place.

Looking like two big chances for next week.
    Last edited by Tin; Jan 16, 2017 at 8:08 AM.

Be careful thinking there is a powder day coming this week, except way north and high. This will be a good net gainer but most spots will at least mix with sleet. And those pretty maps usually over predict accumulation when there's a mix involved (they think its all snow). So base builder yes, blower pow day, no. But we need the former and not the later right now.

Tin, on Euro, agree up close it gets weird. But it started turning colder with this storm on Friday way before other models.

Lets hope we get lucky with the following two systems coming through too, before what looks like a pattern change circa 1/25.
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Be careful thinking there is a powder day coming this week, except way north and high. This will be a good net gainer but most spots will at least mix with sleet. And those pretty maps usually over predict accumulation when there's a mix involved (they think its all snow). So base builder yes, blower pow day, no. But we need the former and not the later right now.

Tin, on Euro, agree up close it gets weird. But it started turning colder with this storm on Friday way before other models.

Lets hope we get lucky with the following two systems coming through too, before what looks like a pattern change circa 1/25.

Yes, looking forward to some cement skiing on my big sticks. I believe certain NAM models account for the 1:1 with sleet, thus the drastic cut off in southern VT.

100% with the EURO, NYC is still looking for their 50" that was promised on 1/25/2015 and 2013 when Branford and SW CT HAD 4-5' on the ground instead of NYC. It develops systems too quickly. Very interesting to see the RGEM in line with it though. RGEM started off last year great then lost it, it was very good on 12/18, 12/30, the wasted Blue Hill Mauler system last weekend. Hoping it keeps up!

*EDIT* - 12z NAM hi res came in colder like the EURO/RGEM
    Last edited by Tin; Jan 16, 2017 at 8:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I like the way the models are going.

Tin since you were just up at Jay what do you think my chances are of taking my wife on Pump house off the ridge if they get 12" before Saturday? I'm trying to force her out of her comfort zone a little before our Tahoe trip.
    You will find plenty of terrain in Tahoe to challenge your wife, and the coverage will make it much more manageable. Also the lack of trees in many spots makes it a bit "easier". I skied Alpine Meadows back in the day, and there is plenty of stuff there that an aspiring advanced skier can challenge themselves on. IIRC, the 3 sisters off of the Summit chair are some chutes that are pretty manageable. You'll be able to find plenty of stuff though....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thread Information