Good New England Bump Runs - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    WOW. That is horrendous false advertising.

I was a kid, but he generally speaking, speaks the truth. There were many more mogul options back in the day. Now most resorts destroy the ski trails and mash everything into "corduroy", and then brag on Facebook about how well they destroy their slopes.
    With many other options besides Moguls... "Parks, Glades" . People have not spent the time to learn how to ski moguls, I was fortunate to have a freind that went to freestyle camp as a kid . Just trying to keep up with him was a goal , he has a really great technique that looks effortless. As you ski you're favorite bump run chances are it almost empty, The top level of talent on the mountain any given day many divided up beteen parks,glade,moguls.

Also the base needed for a good bump run is more than a groomer as you don't want the sun burning holes in the troughs. Maybe economical as well?

I do remember some awesome bump runs in the 80's , just wonder what snowboards effects are on bump formation? Farther apart? I remember some very tight runs , shaped skis and snowboards were'nt in the mix.

My favorite thing on skis years ago was to launch off the top of one mogul, clear another and land the downside of a third mogul , seems the're too far apart now and don't have the right kick angle, or I'm 40lbs more that I use to weigh.

Good New England Bump Runs

Northstar, escapade, vertigo The Jug at Kmart. Kitsbuehl at Jay. Flying goose at Sunapee come to mind. Not sure what happened to the Mogul culture at Sundown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by powhunter; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:35 AM.

As to the demise of bump runs, I recall in the early 90's when White Heat was all bumps, the snowmaking was different. By different, I mean everytime we got a warmup back to frozen bumps, they would make snow and bury it again, giving skiers something to work with besides the ice bumps. Now, probably due to energy pricing and the fact SR has much more terrain to maintain, that is just not the case. They will knock them down or close the trail til they knock them down (or until new natural falls). Occasionally Shock, 3-D, Upper Downdraft etc will get new snow blown to refresh the bumps. But it seems like this strategy at SR anyway was left behind in history.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

Also no terrain parks back then. I'm sure that ate into the refresh budget. The amount of snow they use building terrain parks up there could bury WH ten feet deep

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Saw bumps on a beginner trail at Wawa today. Small and nicely spaced. Happy to see a lot of people give it a go. Moguls can be a great tool for even beginners

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Saw bumps on a beginner trail at Wawa today. Small and nicely spaced. Happy to see a lot of people give it a go. Moguls can be a great tool for even beginners

This is so important for the growth of mogul skiing. More hills should be doing this. I would love to have bumps like these for a teaching tool.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Also no terrain parks back then. I'm sure that ate into the refresh budget. The amount of snow they use building terrain parks up there could bury WH ten feet deep

Very true. I am very happy the superpipe is fully earthen built for the walls. Wish they had built some earthen buildup for the jumps on T72 to at least subtract some of the snow needed. And if Rocking Chair is going to be an X course always, they could build up earthen banks too.

Might have to spam Crotcheds FB with this photo. Those are better looking bumps on a beginner trail at WaWa than I've seen on any Crotched trail the past four years.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Terrain parks seem to be the biggest waste on the mountain. Wherever I go, I rarely seem to see all that many people using them; park has to be the most expensive thing on the mountain from a $/skier basis.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Is that you on the left? Hunched over in exasperation at the site of such paltry bimps, that you just couldn't continue. No sense in carrying on at all, might as well drown you sorrows in the bar.

What were you doing at WAWA in the first place?

Thread Information