• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good New England Bump Runs

yeggous

IMO Lower Ptarmigan should be the park trail. Good spectator location from two chairs and the lodge and serviced by a HSQ. You don't waste two good cruisers in Mythmaker and Kachina. The only downfall I really see is the increased traffic on Middle Highway to access it.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Anything on that side would work. That is why it used to be Thad's. And Lower Ptarmingan was the half pipe. Unfortunately they moved it over to Bear Peak at the same time they reduced the trail difficulty ratings to bring people over to Bear Peak... and it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

In the spirit of, a good bump run is one that you recently skied and had fun on, 3 from Okemo this past weekend. Upper Sel's, the bottom of Lower Plunge and the favorite from the weekend Rolling Thunder over on Jackson Gore.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I guess it is not really New England, but Blue Mountain in the Poconos almost always has some nice seeded mogul runs (the groomer who seeds the bumps does a great job). They also seem to have a decent mogul development program, with instructors who are actual bump skiers. Saw a group lesson there this weekend that had about 10 or 12 kids participating. Hoping some of them stick with it. Quite a few regulars there can really rip. When they seed one of their double blacks (yeah, I know) top to bottom in the spring, it is pretty hard to beat.

Barneys is a low angle bump run half groomed , Nightmare has seeded bumps but is "Over" rated double black. When Challenge bumps up it's there best . They half groom all the bump runs, a good thing as the freeze thaw is a killer. Many times I've tested a few turns in concrete bumps and bailed. A good bit of mountain is in shadow quite a bit and takes a while to soften even if the temps feel warm.
Even on good sunny days they can be rock solid under some nice looking powder , broke a ski last March on Challenge. They do a good job all things considered .

gnardawg

I was just about to post Stichline at K one of the best. Other K one not mentioned is Conclusion.

I was at Loon last Sunday and I think they should leave Jobber ungroomed. If you want to ski Twitcher top to bottom you can as a groomer or break off and bump down Jobber.

machski

I was just about to post Stichline at K one of the best. Other K one not mentioned is Conclusion.

I was at Loon last Sunday and I think they should leave Jobber ungroomed. If you want to ski Twitcher top to bottom you can as a groomer or break off and bump down Jobber.
Amen on Loon. They can leave Ripsaw ungroomed too.

Scruffy

Conclusion is great when it's filled in. The new chair should make lapping it sweet.

Hawk

I'm with CD on this one. Also I would add if a trail has moguls on it most of the time and is not excessively groomed then it is a bump run. No other qualification is needed. The other part of this thread that lies with the title is "Good Bump Runs". With that, my personal preference is Bump Runs with only natural snow. Since I mostly Ski Sugarbush, my choice would fall with the Mall hands down. Natural snow, straight fall line bumps, long run that is unrelenting. I like Middle earth also. At north it is always the Northridge Chair combo - Bravo or exterminator up top with Tumbler, Hammerhead or Encore at the bottom.

MRG anywhere after a snowfall is a bump paradise worth skiing any time.

I don't think the two need to be mutually exclusive. I think a trail can be both a "classic new england trail" and a "bump run". To me a "bump run" needs to be wide enough to have more than one line, but it doesn't need to be super-wide. I would very much consider something like Middle Earth at Sugarbush both a "bump run" and a "classic new england trail".

dlague

I need to try a pair of those for the fun of it. A one ski quiver is nice but a bit more work in the bumps. Having something like this in a quiver might be the answer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Yeah! I'd love to give that a demo.

I did tell myself I wouldn't buy new skis this year though...

leomanga

Hey guys,
I'm skiing the mountain solo the 28 and 29.
But rather do it with some company. I'll be driving from Kearny NJ (6h drive) and staying there 2 days.
I don't have any crazy adventurous friends like myself that wanna go with me so would love somebody to hangout with there.
Hit me up! https://www.facebook.com/leogulli

Domeskier

Oh cool, I never knew that Blue did that! That is my favorite local mountain (within 2 hours of home) and never thought I would find moguls there. Sure there is Barney's Bumps but I didnt know they put moguls on any of the double blacks. I will have to check that out in the Spring time!

Razor's Edge is bumped up top to bottom now! The bumps near the top and on some of the flatter pitches needed to be skied-in more as of Saturday afternoon, but it should be in prime condition for this weekend. The bumps at the starters hut and on the lower steep were excellent. Hoping they get two more weekends out of it. Otherwise it's off to K!

Griswold

Upper birdland at sugarbush this weekend had some of the best lines I have seen all year. I wish they would leave it bumped up all season, the pitch is, in my opinion, perfect for a mogul run. Lower organgrinder was also pretty good, much better than anything I found at Mt Ellen or castlerock.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Duncanator24

Upper birdland at sugarbush this weekend had some of the best lines I have seen all year. I wish they would leave it bumped up all season, the pitch is, in my opinion, perfect for a mogul run. Lower organgrinder was also pretty good, much better than anything I found at Mt Ellen or castlerock.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Definitely the best bumps were on Brambles! I was sad to see today's grooming report had listed that trail. Morning Star is always my favorite at LP though and it was great as always on Saturday. Castle Rock trails seemed to have been skiied off mostly by then.