• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good New England Bump Runs

deadheadskier

Staff member
Terrain parks seem to be the biggest waste on the mountain. Wherever I go, I rarely seem to see all that many people using them; park has to be the most expensive thing on the mountain from a $/skier basis.
It varies. Stowe's was actually pretty popular. Okemo and Killington too. Most of the big family destinations or smaller local areas near big population centers.

I'm glad Wildcat doesn't have one. They used to have a very small one that required minimal resources.

Overall the investment in parks is probably overdone. I think the reduction in half pipes around the region is evidence of that

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Terrain parks seem to be the biggest waste on the mountain. Wherever I go, I rarely seem to see all that many people using them; park has to be the most expensive thing on the mountain from a $/skier basis.

I think this is mostly dependent on where you go.

I think terrain parks also suffer in the same way as moguls - there is an entry barrier in a lot of places. Most of the jumps that are built are too big for aspiring park-users to get their feet wet in. My nine-year-old loves to go into the parks, but much of what's out there is out of his league...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

Is that you on the left? Hunched over in exasperation at the site of such paltry bimps, that you just couldn't continue. No sense in carrying on at all, might as well drown you sorrows in the bar.

What were you doing at WAWA in the first place?
Like I have said in the past, if you want to ski with me just say so.

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

Is that you on the left? Hunched over in exasperation at the site of such paltry bimps, that you just couldn't continue. No sense in carrying on at all, might as well drown you sorrows in the bar.

What were you doing at WAWA in the first place?
Scruffy after drowning his sorrows

https://youtu.be/MHz1hDWNC9M
I am disappointed with this response. You can do better!

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

jack97

I think this is mostly dependent on where you go.

I think terrain parks also suffer in the same way as moguls - there is an entry barrier in a lot of places. Most of the jumps that are built are too big for aspiring park-users to get their feet wet in. My nine-year-old loves to go into the parks, but much of what's out there is out of his league...

IMO, in NE we have choices, perhaps too many in regards to each ski area offers different options. Some places have the "perfect grooming" while others will let alot of their trail go natural. You have to go seek out the terrain you want to ski or ride on.

If son wants to get into parks, I would suggest Crotched, they have three terrain parks where each are on different steepness grades and each has some different park features.

As for moguls, I think the best place to learn are the natural trails on a intermediate grade. Ragged Raggea at Ragged, Aggazi at Bretton Woods, Crotched has an int/black next to HSQ, on skiers left. Not sure if this will happen but Mnt Snow and Ski Sundown use to seed moguls in a intermediate pitch.

BenedictGomez

Overall the investment in parks is probably overdone. I think the reduction in half pipes around the region is evidence of that

Agreed.

If I were a mountain facing financial difficulties, this is where I'd cut. I dont think it would cost as many skier visits as is sometimes thought, either that or my "lying eyes" are wrong, but I just dont see that many people utilizing these expensive resources, and the few people I do see tend to be people who dont buy their tickets.

Smellytele

Agreed.

If I were a mountain facing financial difficulties, this is where I'd cut. I dont think it would cost as many skier visits as is sometimes thought, either that or my "lying eyes" are wrong, but I just dont see that many people utilizing these expensive resources, and the few people I do see tend to be people who dont buy their tickets.

While The bigger mtns seem to not have as many users of their parks. Smaller areas with night skiing such as Pats Peak have a thriving park scene

benski

While The bigger mtns seem to not have as many users of their parks. Smaller areas with night skiing such as Pats Peak have a thriving park scene

This is probably since the gap in park size is tiny compared to the gap in mountain size.

Jully

SRs park is reasonably popular I think. Then again most of the other places I ski have really minimal parks.

Edd

I'm glad Wildcat doesn't have one. They used to have a very small one that required minimal resources.

I do remember something off the Bobcat chair a couple of years ago but I've never really noticed the fact that they don't spend resources on parks. Smart of them, IMO.

yeggous

I do remember something off the Bobcat chair a couple of years ago but I've never really noticed the fact that they don't spend resources on parks. Smart of them, IMO.

They spend more than their fair share on parks at Attitash instead. They'll put huge jumps on Mythmaker before bothering to touch Wandering Skis or Avenger.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiFanE

What a bumpy weekend at SR. Last weeks 6" had to be the most perfect ski snow Mother Nature can make. It stuck perfectly to the ice underneath so every turn was edge able. Lots of natural trails back in play - tons of fun on Locke and Oz. Love weekends like that - bumps so perfect you bounce off them and take zero energy to ski once you get your groove and perfect bumps lines. All those poor folks that avoid bumps have no idea what they're missing lol.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They spend more than their fair share on parks at Attitash instead. They'll put huge jumps on Mythmaker before bothering to touch Wandering Skis or Avenger.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
IMO Lower Ptarmigan should be the park trail. Good spectator location from two chairs and the lodge and serviced by a HSQ. You don't waste two good cruisers in Mythmaker and Kachina. The only downfall I really see is the increased traffic on Middle Highway to access it.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1485177620.596513.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1485177646.897390.jpg
Stitchline at Killington. It's a bit thin now, but it's a fun mix of bumps and drops.

dlague

The park at Gunstock has pretty big features under the triple. That run is often fairly busy but not for the faint of heart. However, at night there are little to no bump runs. At least Pats has Hurricane and Vortex for bumps.

Bolton Valley does a nice job with a progression park sponsored by Burton. And they often have free clinics. There are others but do not come to mind right now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

I guess it is not really New England, but Blue Mountain in the Poconos almost always has some nice seeded mogul runs (the groomer who seeds the bumps does a great job). They also seem to have a decent mogul development program, with instructors who are actual bump skiers. Saw a group lesson there this weekend that had about 10 or 12 kids participating. Hoping some of them stick with it. Quite a few regulars there can really rip. When they seed one of their double blacks (yeah, I know) top to bottom in the spring, it is pretty hard to beat.

Duncanator24

I guess it is not really New England, but Blue Mountain in the Poconos almost always has some nice seeded mogul runs (the groomer who seeds the bumps does a great job). They also seem to have a decent mogul development program, with instructors who are actual bump skiers. Saw a group lesson there this weekend that had about 10 or 12 kids participating. Hoping some of them stick with it. Quite a few regulars there can really rip. When they seed one of their double blacks (yeah, I know) top to bottom in the spring, it is pretty hard to beat.
Oh cool, I never knew that Blue did that! That is my favorite local mountain (within 2 hours of home) and never thought I would find moguls there. Sure there is Barney's Bumps but I didnt know they put moguls on any of the double blacks. I will have to check that out in the Spring time!