• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good New England Bump Runs

Scruffy

Sugarbush:
Rumble

Incredibly technical and and on a good snow day, amazing to ski! There are some moguls in the woods that I like more but those don't really count as trails. Close tie for second on all of the other trails on Castle Rock peak and a tie for third on any/all natural trails.
I love Rumble. But to call it a classic bump run .. ah, no. It's a technically narrow, twisty, root, and rock invested sliver of path through the woods.

KustyTheKlown

Victoria @ Whiteface [/end topic]

When they let that bump up it would be a double-diamond elsewhere, and it gets way worse than in this picture. Whiteface in general is "no kid gloves" when it comes to their trail ratings.

Whiteface-Mountain.jpg

Ah Victoria. Where I learned the valuable lesson of "scope it before you bring your girlfriend down it"

raisingarizona

What's the best bump trail that's lit for night skiing? I would love to make an edit of night time mogul skiing.

BenedictGomez

Victoria.

Where I learned the valuable lesson of "scope it before you bring your girlfriend down it"

YES!!!!

I had the same horrible experience a few years back, and as you know, there is no escape.

Encountered an expansive field of some of the largest moguls you can imagine. She actually took her skis off and walked down the trail, only time she's ever done that in her skiing life. I felt terrible. Intermediate trail my ***; like I was saying, it can be a double-diamond with the right (or wrong) conditions.

Duncanator24

I love Rumble. But to call it a classic bump run .. ah, no. It's a technically narrow, twisty, root, and rock invested sliver of path through the woods.

Hmm, I definitely have no idea what a bump run really is then. I just thought it was anything natural/ungroomed.

dlague

Hmm, I definitely have no idea what a bump run really is then. I just thought it was anything natural/ungroomed.
Up groomed yes natural not necessarily. While there are many good bump trails that have no manmade on them there are many great bump runs that have lots of snow making. Thankfully so otherwise Killington's main spring attraction would not last as long as it does every year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Has kitzbubel at jay been mentioned?
And huh, no CT representation or mention of a certain small area there as far as I can tell...

In the OP

I have never skied anything in NE south of the VT & NH borders except Brodie and that does not exist any more.

Satan's Staircase?

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

tnt1234

I think of "Bump run" as wall to wall, steep and wide trails that exist for unescapable mogul bashing. Outer Limits being a classic example.

Rolling, narrow trails with bumps - my favorite - I think of as 'classic new england trails'.

FWIW YMMV.

So with those definitions in mind, I'd say National at Stowe is a great classic bump run...

For some PA love...Tunkhannock at Elk.

Smellytele

I think of "Bump run" as wall to wall, steep and wide trails that exist for unescapable mogul bashing. Outer Limits being a classic example.

Rolling, narrow trails with bumps - my favorite - I think of as 'classic new england trails'.

FWIW YMMV.

So with those definitions in mind, I'd say National at Stowe is a great classic bump run...

For some PA love...Tunkhannock at Elk.

I have seen Outer limits groomed on one side many of times so it doesn't fit your description.

cdskier

I don't think the two need to be mutually exclusive. I think a trail can be both a "classic new england trail" and a "bump run". To me a "bump run" needs to be wide enough to have more than one line, but it doesn't need to be super-wide. I would very much consider something like Middle Earth at Sugarbush both a "bump run" and a "classic new england trail".

Duncanator24

I don't think the two need to be mutually exclusive. I think a trail can be both a "classic new england trail" and a "bump run". To me a "bump run" needs to be wide enough to have more than one line, but it doesn't need to be super-wide. I would very much consider something like Middle Earth at Sugarbush both a "bump run" and a "classic new england trail".

This makes much more sense to me. Middle Earth is a good example of both. Castle Rock Run as well. Those would be my favorite choice due to the hybrid nature of it. Many of the trails at Mad River Glen also have that same exact feel.

slatham

I agree, that's what I view as a classic "bump" run. Additional factor to qualify - you have to be able to link dozens of turns heading straight down the fall line (eliminates Rumble). I would also say that easy viewing from the bottom and/or a lift should also be a factor.