1/21 - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1/21

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    There was one that was okay, I think it's called Highlander Glades ... on Sterling. Still plenty of bare/rock to avoid though. All the other woods I saw I would consider "out of play" even by my standards.
    Weird, Smuggs being so close to Jay and with similar elevations. All glades in play at Jay and well covered. The forecasts look very favorable. Next week-end could be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Weird, Smuggs being so close to Jay and with similar elevations. All glades in play at Jay and well covered. The forecasts look very favorable. Next week-end could be epic.
    Am I wrong in thinking Jay does a nice job kind of clearing there graded areas, so that they take less snow to open?

Last year - that horrible year - we got into the woods at Jay after about 10" of snow, and they were really nice - definitely some roots and rocks, but totally skiable. Where as, down the road at Stowe, woods weren't really in play.

Is Jay on state land? Always wondered if maybe they have more freedom to clear out the branches and what not....seems like they open up the woods way before other places....

Hmmmm.... looks like I may do Jay/Jay then. No matter, I have vouchers aplenty and love Alice's Table.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Alice's table has gone downhill. Last few times there food was bad. Not even as good as food at Cannon. But they have a noodle place now. No idea how good but I want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking Jay does a nice job kind of clearing there graded areas, so that they take less snow to open?

Last year - that horrible year - we got into the woods at Jay after about 10" of snow, and they were really nice - definitely some roots and rocks, but totally skiable. Where as, down the road at Stowe, woods weren't really in play.

Is Jay on state land? Always wondered if maybe they have more freedom to clear out the branches and what not....seems like they open up the woods way before other places....
    Jay is mostly on state land. The two most skied glades (Timbuktu and Beaver) have constant pitch and don't need much snow to be good, but there are a few that are incredibly rocky and need tons of snow (e.g. staircase and the top of everglade).

Quote Originally Posted by skiberg View Post
    Alice's table has gone downhill. Last few times there food was bad.
    Was it this year? I havent been to JP this year, but I thought AT was fine last year.

I guess it shouldnt shock me if quality went down this year though given the obvious budget cuts.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Pretty amazing gradients, Berkshire East has 1-2" of sleet at the base and 6" of snow up high.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Pretty amazing gradients, Berkshire East has 1-2" of sleet at the base and 6" of snow up high.
    Dang - if it were just a few degrees colder, this would have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Dang - if it were just a few degrees colder, this would have been great.
    Im not complaining as this is good base building material for the woods ahead of the colder weather to come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jrmagic View Post
    Im not complaining as this is good base building material for the woods ahead of the colder weather to come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app
    Especially after the forecast last week for 50 degrees and 2" of rain... We got spared big time.

Thread Information