• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/21

fbrissette

There was one that was okay, I think it's called Highlander Glades ... on Sterling. Still plenty of bare/rock to avoid though. All the other woods I saw I would consider "out of play" even by my standards.

Weird, Smuggs being so close to Jay and with similar elevations. All glades in play at Jay and well covered. The forecasts look very favorable. Next week-end could be epic.

tnt1234

Weird, Smuggs being so close to Jay and with similar elevations. All glades in play at Jay and well covered. The forecasts look very favorable. Next week-end could be epic.

Am I wrong in thinking Jay does a nice job kind of clearing there graded areas, so that they take less snow to open?

Last year - that horrible year - we got into the woods at Jay after about 10" of snow, and they were really nice - definitely some roots and rocks, but totally skiable. Where as, down the road at Stowe, woods weren't really in play.

Is Jay on state land? Always wondered if maybe they have more freedom to clear out the branches and what not....seems like they open up the woods way before other places....

skiberg

Alice's table has gone downhill. Last few times there food was bad. Not even as good as food at Cannon. But they have a noodle place now. No idea how good but I want to try.

fbrissette

Am I wrong in thinking Jay does a nice job kind of clearing there graded areas, so that they take less snow to open?

Last year - that horrible year - we got into the woods at Jay after about 10" of snow, and they were really nice - definitely some roots and rocks, but totally skiable. Where as, down the road at Stowe, woods weren't really in play.

Is Jay on state land? Always wondered if maybe they have more freedom to clear out the branches and what not....seems like they open up the woods way before other places....

Jay is mostly on state land. The two most skied glades (Timbuktu and Beaver) have constant pitch and don't need much snow to be good, but there are a few that are incredibly rocky and need tons of snow (e.g. staircase and the top of everglade).

BenedictGomez

Alice's table has gone downhill. Last few times there food was bad.

Was it this year? I havent been to JP this year, but I thought AT was fine last year.

I guess it shouldnt shock me if quality went down this year though given the obvious budget cuts.

Tin

Pretty amazing gradients, Berkshire East has 1-2" of sleet at the base and 6" of snow up high.

tnt1234

Pretty amazing gradients, Berkshire East has 1-2" of sleet at the base and 6" of snow up high.

Dang - if it were just a few degrees colder, this would have been great.

Quietman

Especially after the forecast last week for 50 degrees and 2" of rain... We got spared big time.

This is the 2nd Tuesday storm in a row to do that! Both early forecasts were for warm rain, then 6" last week and 5" of sleet this time.

4aprice

dlague

Most good winters have the "thaw", and now (Jan 24th) right on cue, the "Parade" of storms into the west coast is ending with the storm currently coming or already onshore. Time for regime change. February rules the east.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yup we are entering into a 7-10 dry spell with the next potential storm hitting Colorado in early February. Powder days are gone for a bit. While we had a phenomenal snow run for he past 5-6 weeks, a break needed to come sooner or later.

As you indicate, in past years February has been lean on snow accumulation while the east is favorable. However looking forward past this warm spell, there does not seem to be much in the form of major snow events at least for a couple weeks.

Glenn

This is the 2nd Tuesday storm in a row to do that! Both early forecasts were for warm rain, then 6" last week and 5" of sleet this time.

Bingo! We lucked out twice.

Looks like 4" north of Brattleboro on the webcams...and another coating of something frozen came through later in the AM.

dlague

Bingo! We lucked out twice.

Looks like 4" north of Brattleboro on the webcams...and another coating of something frozen came through later in the AM.

Looks like a wetter ban will come through tonight into tomorrow?

What is amazing, it was warm before this storm and will be warm for a bit after it.

Jully

Yup we are entering into a 7-10 dry spell with the next potential storm hitting Colorado in early February. Powder days are gone for a bit. While we had a phenomenal snow run for he past 5-6 weeks, a break needed to come sooner or later.

As you indicate, in past years February has been lean on snow accumulation while the east is favorable. However looking forward past this warm spell, there does not seem to be much in the form of major snow events at least for a couple weeks.

We can hope for the return of cold temps though!

machski

Cold returns this weekend and potential 9 days out for a good snow storm late next week. Of the west dries, doesn't always translate to dry east. Often dry west = snowy east.