The second half

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The second half

The second half

Getting close to the half way point for many areas. Early on was a bit warm for snowmaking which caused some delays in trail expansion and openings. Late November to mid December had some amazing up slope events. Then things got a bit boring followed by the typical January melt down that started last week.

Now for the second half. Already an interesting deal on Wed-Thurs, does the meltdown continue or does it help recovery? Like everything else thus far this year, already trending colder!

Last edited by Tin; Jan 14, 2017 at 8:34 PM.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

You better not be channeling Tuna!

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Well...Vermont might get re-loaded in a surprise storm next Tuesday night-Thursday...but I am seriously concerned about places south of the MA/CT border that might have to shutdown after next weekend...zero cold on the horizon for the flatlands. Temps in the 40s and 50s Tuesday onward without freezing at night. Doesn't look like we'll see truly cold air until the 26th or 27th!!!
    2016-2017 61 Days and holding...
    Killington: 11/7, 12/10, 1/19, 2/17, 3/19, 3/25, 3/26, 4/1, 4/2, 4/16 Okemo: 12/11, 2/5 Berkshire East: 12/30 Jiminy Peak: 12/23 Magic: 1/26, 2/16 Sundown: 3/10 Stratton: 3/12 Pico: 3/18 Bellayre: 3/15
    Mount Snow: 11/24, 12/12, 12/17, 1/1, 1/24, 1/28, 3/11 Mohawk: 1/6, 1/13, 1/27, 2/3, 2/9, 2/24
    Thunder Ridge: 12/18, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/2, 1/7, 1/8, 1/14, 1/15, 1/16, 1/21, 1/22, 1/29, 2/4, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/18, 2/19, 2/20, 2/21, 2/25, 2/26, 3/4, 3/5, 3/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    You better not be channeling Tuna!

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    We all have an "inner Tuna". When we straightline trails or get excited about 1-3" of snow mixing with rain, the Tuna is unleashed. And in that moment, we know what it is like to truly feel alive.

Looking better this morning, ticking south still. Mid levels might be a concern though.

What is timing on it? We need the info!
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

It will curse it all! I won't buy in until Tuesday, way too many variables and could be a nasty mixed bag. Just fun to watch. Pre-dawn Weds night into Thursday afternoon.

I like the way the models are going.

Tin since you were just up at Jay what do you think my chances are of taking my wife on Pump house off the ridge if they get 12" before Saturday? I'm trying to force her out of her comfort zone a little before our Tahoe trip.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I like the way the models are going.

Tin since you were just up at Jay what do you think my chances are of taking my wife on Pump house off the ridge if they get 12" before Saturday? I'm trying to force her out of her comfort zone a little before our Tahoe trip.
    Doesn't sound like a good idea, at all. I would not have skied it last week.

There was minimal coverage that was there is now gone. Shiny ice could be seen on the ridge, Valhalla, and Beret from the Bonny. I mean, Can Am was bordeline in terms of coverage and probably should have been roped, saw no one go down it wall day. It was sharks teeth and ice when we did.

I probably would have taken a look but I would not have tried it given the shine it had to it from afar. Not worth ending a season over, and missing a trip to Tahoe for you guys. I'm no expert on those chutes but given what I've seen, I would imagine in "good" conditions those are difficult than most things in Tahoe. Legit survival skiing and don't fall. I think 12" on it last week and no wind scouring then "yes". After the meltdown, no way.

I don't know how your wife skiing these days but for a comparison (not competition) my partner can get down Poma, Red Line, Paradise and the entire Lifeline at MRG, and I wouldn't even take her down the Face Chutes, nevermind the Saddle and Pumphouse.

MadMadWorld knows a lot more about them than I. He mentioned if Beret and the Face Chutes were sketchy, don't bother with trying to go off the Saddle.
    Last edited by Tin; Jan 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM.

All aboard the JB train, 2nd half will produce.

Just an observation. It seems to want to snow this year. (as opposed to last year where it didn't) We have had a couple of decent little snowfalls this year that weren't really predicted to be anything. Yesterday, a good example as snowfall seemed to catch the local towns off guard where the roads became pretty treacherous for a while. Just an observation.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I've never skied off the Saddle myself. Conditions and my own level of bravery have yet to coalesce at the right time. Pump house I think isn't actually too "hard"... as long as we're not counting style points.. but it does have a decent pucker factor that's aided by the exposure on the ridge.

Your advice sounds very good though, I'm wondering why I even asked such a foolish question last night (beer). That's not the kind of terrain I want to be dealing with any ice.

I'm sure your partner gets treated to many adventures as does my wife
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]