• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/21

tnt1234

Yeah, end of day yesterday, things were looking sweet. Now moving in the wrong direction for both the weekend and that Tuesday event.

We must not be obsessively watching the weather hard enough.

4aprice

It going to be a slop storm, wet but probably not harmful to the base, may be good for it. I don't see that as a negative right now unless your just after powder. Bastardi was mentioning a favorable situation (state of the SOI) along with a tropical system which has potential to give you good powder down the line (6-10 days).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

slatham

Models not showing a full on powder situation but all have a nice net gainer, even the GFS which right now looks off vs. Euro and Canadian, both of which have been pretty consistent. NAM just picking up storm in its window so next 24 hours should start to clarify. But its a close call either way, but I stand by a nice net gainer, base building storm north of Mass VT/NH border.

As for tomorrow I don't think there will be much but it could be foggy and drizzly.

mriceyman

Will be a net gain even if sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

NWS Albany graphics are showing about 4" in SoVT. Looking similar to the storm last week. At least it's not all rain. It's been warm up here the last few days.

Zermatt

Euro just came in snowy. Model snow maps don't handle sleet well so likely not picking up on this. Sleet or snow, I don't care. As long as it is not rain.

Kleetus

NWS Albany graphics are showing about 4" in SoVT. Looking similar to the storm last week. At least it's not all rain. It's been warm up here the last few days.

And it was raining pretty good at Mount Snow today starting around 11:30. They need it.

4aprice

And it was raining pretty good at Mount Snow today starting around 11:30. They need it.

Only thing that surprises me about that is, I was at Okemo (not that far away), and the rain didn't start till 1:30. Yes So Vermont needs snow (and hopefully its on the way) but I didn't miss the freezing temps this weekend, and enjoyed the soft snow, though the fog was a little bit of a "pita".

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

It starting raining at our place just north of Brattleboro around that time as well. A small band of showers rolled though. We really need this pattern shift badly.

bdfreetuna

Yes So Vermont needs snow (and hopefully its on the way)

Northern VT is currently just as bare. Last year was unquestionably better at this point... as my photos from last year at Stowe and MRG at this same time prove (and then turned to sh*t).

fbrissette

Northern VT is currently just as bare. Last year was unquestionably better at this point... as my photos from last year at Stowe and MRG at this same time prove (and then turned to sh*t).

It's bare in the valleys but there is definitely more snow than last year at higher altitude. There are three feet on the ground at 1800' and 5 feet at 3500' (measured with a probe Saturday). We never came anywhere close to that last year And this is high density snow.

bdfreetuna

It's bare in the valleys but there is definitely more snow than last year at higher altitude. There are three feet on the ground at 1800' and 5 feet at 3500' (measured with a probe Saturday). We never came anywhere close to that last year And this is high density snow.

I was at Smuggs yesterday and Stowe Saturday.. there was nowhere close to 3 feet except in areas where it had drifted. I would not be surprised to hear Jay is doing a lot better as they've had 50 more inches of snow so far.

machski

Everything I am seeing is more ice than white this storm. Further NW one goes better shot of all white. But I think everyone gets at least a crusty top from this one.

fbrissette

I was at Smuggs yesterday and Stowe Saturday.. there was nowhere close to 3 feet except in areas where it had drifted. I would not be surprised to hear Jay is doing a lot better as they've had 50 more inches of snow so far.

Taken around 3000' in the West Bowl. Considering snow density, her foot was nowhere close to the bottom. Prime backcoutry conditions although most streams are yet to be filled since it's been so warm lately.
20170121_135108.jpg

BenedictGomez

I was at Smuggs yesterday and Stowe Saturday.. there was nowhere close to 3 feet except in areas where it had drifted.

Are you saying woods are currently out of play at Smuggs? Was planning on Jay Friday and either Smuggs/Stowe Saturday. Might do Jay/Jay if that's what you're saying.

bdfreetuna

Are you saying woods are currently out of play at Smuggs? Was planning on Jay Friday and either Smuggs/Stowe Saturday. Might do Jay/Jay if that's what you're saying.

There was one that was okay, I think it's called Highlander Glades ... on Sterling. Still plenty of bare/rock to avoid though. All the other woods I saw I would consider "out of play" even by my standards.

Might be a different story by the weekend but if you want to ski trees it looks like Jay is the place to be.

FWIW Stowe appeared to have a little better base in the woods, probably in part due to more snowmaking blowover.

Last edited:

4aprice

Joe Bastardi posted a GEFS model on his twitter page, that is show some good snows from Pa north.

FWIW While I choose to stay out of the woods this past weekend, (there were some open) what I saw at Okemo for the most part was not too far away from being in play, and Okemo's not the highest of elevation.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ