• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain - 2/16/2007

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 2/16/2007, 10:45 am - 4:10 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Magic Mountain, Vermont

Conditions: Crud, tracked out powder, Temps in the teens/20's, Partly to mostly cloudy, Windy!

Trip Report: bvibert and I arrived at Mount Snow around 8:40 and things looked bleak. No quads were spinning and it was very windy. I met up with Chris Lenois in the base lodge and he indicated that opening the summit quad or TNF lifts before noon was unlikely. We met up with JimG. outside and made the decision to head to Magic. Got a call from 2knees in the lot who indicated he just made the turn onto 100 and we told him to continue on to Magic. I finally got in touch with ALLSKIING and informed him of our plan. He was cool with it and understood. I was disappointed to not get the chance to ski with Dave. We'll get some turns in this year...

Jim, Brian, Pat and I got started around 10:45 after discovering some of the key trails (Goniff, Twilight, Redline, etc...) were closed. We started on Talisman and then tried Slide of Hans. On the next lift ride we discovered the rope on Twilight Zone was dropped! At one point later in the morning we bumped into roark who made the ride up from Mount Snow!

All the runs were skiing similarly with dense crud and tracked powder, and a lot of it. Challenging turns but a ton of fun. Before lunch we discovered Sourceror which was thin in the middle but skied great. After a 1:30 lunch we headed back out to finish out the day. We saw many people skiing Redline so roark, Jim, Pat and I decided to poach. I'm not much of a rope ducker, but I could tell from the lift it would ski great. I wasn't disappointed. Tailing Jim down Redline was awesome! Pat skied the face of the first drop (down from the Witch entrance; Upper upper Redline was not skiable - not by us anyway). Roark, Jim and I skied a line that swung down around some trees. I almost bit it right before the second drop, but recovered and made it down unscathed. The steep section after that surprised me. Really steep there. Great great run and run of the day. We all finished up together as a group on the Zone and finally Sourceror.

Bummer that we missed the rest of the crew at Snow, but Magic was the place in Southern Vermont to be today. Made it home in under 3 hours. Jim set a nice pace on 91. ;) Great day and a new AZer met in roark; great skier - he killed it both times down Sourceror as the lead skier. The rest of you guys - pleasure as always. Gonna have to try to get back to Magic this season!

Got some great video - will post later.

MarkC

Now that they have some snow magic is definatly on my list for this season. We should se up a gathering for some spring turns if not sooner.

Zand

I saw Magic Mountain and I thought I would be reading a TR for the amusement park in CA. Then I remembered what forum I was at. lol

2knees

great day. great effin day. redline was the tits.

LAWN DART!!

roark

Great day. Glad I finally got to meet Greg, BVibert, & 2knees. Enjoyed skiing with Jim again. Wish I'd seen 2knees "header" ;)

Too tired to say any more...

rob56789

Looks like you guys had a great time hopefully i can make some turns with you all this year.

awf170

Sweet! I am really amazed by how much Bvibert has improved. So why did anyone stay at Mt. Snow anyway?

I defiantly need to hit up Magic next week or so when we get another 2 ft. dump.

Where the heck was Marc? I'm supposed to go skiing with him tomorrow and I think he disappeared.

sledhaulingmedic

Sounds like you made the right call. I would have loved to have been there. I really miss patrolling there, especially on days like that. Sounds like a blast.

2knees

hey greg, if its not too much trouble, could you throw this up on youtube? Its the only way my crap computer will play a video. If its a big deal, no problem, i can play it at work on monday.

Greg

Staff member
Here ya go:

Give it some time to finish processing. And be sure to download the high res version at some point. It's much better quality. Enjoy!

2knees

thanks greg. that just put a huge smile back on my face. yesterday was a keeper.

nice skiing with you clowns again and nice to meet you roark. you gonna buy a pair of those salomons now? you were tearing it up on those beasts.

roark

Nice job with the video Greg!

thanks greg. that just put a huge smile back on my face. yesterday was a keeper.

nice skiing with you clowns again and nice to meet you roark. you gonna buy a pair of those salomons now? you were tearing it up on those beasts.

Thanks. I'd love to get a pair of Guns. If they come up on SAC again (unlikely) I'd have a hard time resisting. Definatley intrigued to try some more fat skis out.

Look forward to getting out with y'all again.:spread:

JimG.

Staff member
That was a fun day of skiing.

Probably the best day I've ever had at Magic and my first since college (over 25 years ago).

Run of the day: Redline, especially since we got yelled at by a ski patroller for poaching it.

Wipe of the day: the infamous "lawn dart" move by 2knees.

It was a lot of driving for me, but totally worth it.