• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - Lincoln 1/21, Ellen 1/22

rocojerry

Damn I forgot how much I love this place.

After spending the start of my season at bunny hills close to home, it was time to get out to a real mtn.

got up late Friday night, checked into the inn and headed down to the Hyde Away for some local vt craft tasting... conehead IPA was the beer of the weekend that I hadn't had before... oh yeah, this is a trip report...

got a pretty early start, thought it may be busy on southside on a mid Jan sat... lodge was busy, but not much in the way of lines riding singles all day... foggy base area, temps in the 30s, the mist made me glad I was wearing a shell, snow was soft, groomers were great carving, but visibility a bit low.. started off with a snowball/spring fling lap before graduating to steins. Stein's had giant snowmaking whales and was bumped up nice... advanced on to organgrinder, ripcord, and figured paradise may be a good indicator of castle rock... verdict? On to the rock!
Paradise:
attachment.php

only hit Castlerock run, but it was bumped up nice with pretty great coverage... next dump will bring castle rock into its element for sure.... wish I had more time, but headed down to get my lil one onto the magic carpet...

a few hand me down teaching gimmicks to try, edgie wedgie and racer chaser both served well.... after a few runs he was ready for his first chairlift of his life.... by the end of the day, he was hungry for more.... so was I.

enjoyed some Lawson's and more cone head-- heady was sold out... opted to call it a day....

Next day -- Mt Ellen!

attachment.php

The bottom was socked in fog, missed the lower mountain first chair, but arrived right on time for the upper mountain first (4th) chair.... coming out of the fog and into this made me glad that I got out here again early-- Rim Run to a beautifully groomed Elbow to start the day--
attachment.php

the fog layer stayed low most of the day, and upper FIS was in the clear and awesome-- soft bumps on skiers left and was groomed at some point on the right for those who would prefer that... FIS was prime.
attachment.php

Black Diamond under the lift was challenging as always, a reminder that a long bump line like that can kill your legs pretty quick-- Another hit of groomed Elbow perfection before becoming exterminated! Exterminator was awesome, great bumps-- and a fantastic view to MRG, Stowe and even Jay in the distance above the fog clouds....
attachment.php

Lower mountain was a bit sticky, made me realize the board could still use some wax-- I stayed above the fog layer in the colder snow most of the day...

then back over to the bunny hill at south -- all chairlift today for him, and my lil guy was on the hill without using the harness -- flying down in a zero turn snowplow with squeels of excitement before falling or having me divert him in a different direction... for a few moments I got to ski with him by my side, and got a preview for years ahead--
attachment.php

it was a good weekend!

Last edited:

dlague

Sounds like some good spring conditions. I guess if is not going to be nice PP then spring like conditions such are the next best thing. Better than boilerplate and ice. Good trip report.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app