• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 2-16-07

jct

Date Skied: Friday February 16, 2007
Ski Area: Mt Snow
Conditions: Wind blown powder

I arrived at the main lodge area at 9:35 the summit lifts were on a wind hold. I went to the clock tower to meet my fellow AZers and waited till 10:30, no one showed. I was in a real quandry as to what to do. I bought a ticket and booted up, just as I got outside they opened the Grand Summit Express. The top was unbelievably windy. If you stood still you got blown backwards. At the top I found no AZers. The North Face was closed. I skied most everything on the main face with multiple trips down Ego Alley which was deserted! Later in the day they opened the North Face but as I was alone I didn't try it. I skied till 3:00 when my legs gave out.

On the way home on route 100 just south of the road to Haystack I was one of the first vehicles on the scene of a horrendous 2 car head-on accident. I was able to make the 911 call with my cell and stuck around assisting the injured for about 40 minutes. As I was leaving the police were setting up a landing site for a medivac helicopter. Boy as I was driving away I was so grateful that it wasn't my number that was up today!

The skiing was great, the crowds weren't too bad, but I did miss meeting you guys! :spread:

Hawkshot99

Me, eastcoastskier, and reefer were at the clock tower at 10 of 10 till 5 after when we took off.

The three of us had a great time. Reefer was our guide taking us to all the good powder spots on the mountain. He is one hell of a skiier and a nice guy.
The best run of the day was Ledges were we were bustin through the powder and dropping off of some small drops.

This was probally the best day of skiing I have ever had, and boy am I tired!!!

Thanks for showing us around Reefer.

eastcoastskiier

THE SNOW WAS AWSOME!!!!! today...THANKS REEFER.. the tour guide of the day award goes to you.. ha ... Ledges was a phenominal run, and over on the Northside once it was opened the run under the lift was AMAZING.. had a great time

Working through all the snow definetly kept the blood flowing, and that was a key part in being able to ski the empty top! WELL WORTH IT

JCT-- Hawkshot and i must have been only 20min or so behind you. We came across the accident just as the second wave of help showed up, and becuase we didint know the area well, we attempted to wait it out. But one man told us that it would be more then an hour, and that was when we decided to turn around and follow the detour that was set up... The wind was brutal!

bdjeep

Later in the day they opened the North Face but as I was alone I didn't try it.

The north face had some great powder. I skied it most of the afternoon just after they opened it. Made some fresh tracks on Olympic. Definitely a great day. The mountain started to get a little wind blown later in the day, but it was still the best day out I've had in a while.

If anyone reading this is heading up there, definitely be careful on 100 and 9 on the way into the mountain. I was ahead of the accident, but saw all of the emergency vehicles headed that way. The road may look dry and clear but turn the corner and you might encounter quite a bit of windblown snow on the road. I saw a truck in the woods on the way up there and almost skidded off the road myself.

roark

Somehow missed you guys. Saw ALLSKIING at about 5 after who told me several folks headed up to Magic. I wasn't all that impressed with the conditions over at Carinthia and somewhat skeptical about the winds -plus I have a Magic pass which I've hardly gotten any use from- so I zipped on up to join them. Glad you all had a great day, we certainly did.

2knees

great to hear you guys hit mt snow hard. i was looking forward to meeting allsking, reefer, jct and all. Just got scared off by wind holds. It was a "happy ending" apparently for all involved and thats the bottom line. glad you guys got some.

Oldstynxer

Jct. - thanks for making the 911 call. I was the driver going southbound on 100. The kid coming northbound fishtailed coming around the turn and plowed right into me. I didn't have time to do anything and pretty much blacked out for a while after the crash. I do remember that the EMT guys seemed to be on the scene immediately - thanks to your call! There were four of us in the car and thank God everyone was wearing seat belts, but I think it was the airbags that saved our butts. Some stitches and bad bruises from the airbags mostly, but no broken bones. I hate seat belts, but after this I'm not turning on the ignition without being buckled. I might even buy a ski helmet after this. I don't know how the other driver is as they coptered him to Albany Med and we were taken to Bennington. I'm hoping he's OK and also hoping the accident was just caused by faulty judgement.

The trip report part of this post is that we had a great time at Mt. Snow today. The legs were sore at the end of the day, especially on the non-groomed runs as our teles became mostly parallel turns. The only saving gace is that my back hurts is so sore from the accident that not even noticing my thighs anymore.

Kids, please take it easy on the roads in less than optimal conditions.

Definitely dodged a bullet today.

Greg

Staff member
Somehow missed you guys. Saw ALLSKIING at about 5 after who told me several folks headed up to Magic. I wasn't all that impressed with the conditions over at Carinthia and somewhat skeptical about the winds -plus I have a Magic pass which I've hardly gotten any use from- so I zipped on up to join them. Glad you all had a great day, we certainly did.

great to hear you guys hit mt snow hard. i was looking forward to meeting allsking, reefer, jct and all. Just got scared off by wind holds. It was a "happy ending" apparently for all involved and thats the bottom line. glad you guys got some.

Sorry we missed you guys. Jim, Brian and I had to make a quick decision to hit Magic in order to save the day. I got in touch with Dave a bit after 10 am who didn't know of the trailside meetup point at the clock tower. I believe he went over there to inform you guys some of us didn't stay to wait out the windhold. Glad to hear the good stuff finally opened up. There are plenty of gatherings throughout the ski season so we'll have to try and meet up again soon.

Jct. - thanks for making the 911 call. I was the driver going southbound on 100. The kid coming northbound fishtailed coming around the turn and plowed right into me. I didn't have time to do anything and pretty much blacked out for a while after the crash. I do remember that the EMT guys seemed to be on the scene immediately - thanks to your call! There were four of us in the car and thank God everyone was wearing seat belts, but I think it was the airbags that saved our butts. Some stitches and bad bruises from the airbags mostly, but no broken bones. I hate seat belts, but after this I'm not turning on the ignition without being buckled. I might even buy a ski helmet after this. I don't know how the other driver is as they coptered him to Albany Med and we were taken to Bennington. I'm hoping he's OK and also hoping the accident was just caused by faulty judgement.

The trip report part of this post is that we had a great time at Mt. Snow today. The legs were sore at the end of the day, especially on the non-groomed runs as our teles became mostly parallel turns. The only saving gace is that my back hurts is so sore from the accident that not even noticing my thighs anymore.

Wow! Glad you're okay. Welcome to the forums; wish you could have began posting here under bettter circumstances...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Don't know how we missed you guys..As roark said we ran into each other about 5 after. I left the clock tower around 10:15. Sorry we probably walked right passed each other.

ALLSKIING

Staff member

Glad your ok!!! I wondered what that detour was all about. On my way out the roads were getting very slick...

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you guys had a good time at Snow. I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you guys, hopefully we'll be able to arrange something else soon. It's too bad that more of you weren't able to meet up.

Hawkshot99

Couple pics from the day.

Off in the woods.
Hawkshot99
CheesePowder2.jpg

Eastcoastskier
DaveyPowder.gif

The chopper that responded to the car crash...
Chopper.gif

These are all the pics I have, as we were having too much fun to stop.

reefer

Yeah, Yeah, Blah, Blah

Great post jct. Glad you held out and got some! Great pics Hawkshot99 and Eastcoastskiier! It was great rippin' it up with you guys. Thanks for the Kudo's. You guys are crazy good skiiers also, got to put some wings on those things for the air you guys get! Anytime you want to come over to Snow let me know. You can use the ski house anytime also if you want to come up the night before. Keith.