• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colorado - April 2017 trip planning

ADKme

no particular pass deal except for not wanting to pay window rates @ Breck. was starting to expand the search range to Steamboat and Aspen because wife doesn't ski and wanted a town for her to hang out in and not be too bored. Breck is a great town but she's been there a couple times so looking for something different. if we end up back in Breck (or dillon or frisco) nobody will be sad.

I vote for Vail. Sounds like you’ll be skiing mid-week, so there won’t be any crowds. I spent a couple years in Colorado and I can’t remember more enjoyable skiing than having 5,000+ acres to explore at Vail with no one around. If you’re going all the way out there, it’s worth the $108/day lift ticket.

Plus, the village has more than enough to keep the wife entertained for a few days. We always had great luck snagging hotels on Hotwire. Looking at your days, you can get a nice hotel right in the village with a heated outdoor pool for relatively cheap.

VailHotwire.jpg

This was closing day 2011, late-April – they usually close almost 100% open. Hit up Moe’s for a PBR & some good BBQ.

FB_IMG_1489757175653.jpg

FB_IMG_1489757199755.jpg

jimk

I just did a two-week/two-destination ski trip with my non-skiing wife. As you know, it's a tricky dynamic. Takes patience and compromise by both parties, but can be very rewarding. I stayed in Avon while in CO and Whistler Village while in Canada. Wife hung-out at numerous places including Beaver Creek Village, Vail, Frisco, Breckenridge, and Whistler Village. We also went sightseeing in Vancouver one day. See here for trip comments and photos: http://www.epicski.com/t/150045/2017-geezer-snowbirds-tour
I've never stayed at Copper base. Not sure how much is there for a non-skier, might be enough to stroll around for one day? If you get to Frisco my wife likes that town for a little shopping and dining options. Agree Vail and Breck are best in that part of CO for places for non-skiers to hang-out. Steamboat would be great for that too, esp if you stayed in town rather than beside ski area. Since it's April you could probably do all your booking at last minute and could hold off to see how things are in Steamboat and go there if conditions look decent. The town of Steamboat Springs has a nice vibe of cow-town/ski-town hybrid that is authentic and distinctive in its own way; trip photos and comments: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1330

BenedictGomez

Agree Loveland tix can be had very cheap. I bought 2 last week for $35.75 each, and I think I probably overpaid, market seems absolutely flooded with them. If the place is as good as people say, that's quite a bargain.

A-Basin I just bought for $52.50 each, not sure if that will ultimately be a good deal or if they'll be selling for $30 in two weeks, but I wanted to lock-em down.

jimk

A ticket in hand is worth two in the bush:)
Loveland and A-Basin is an awesome April combo. Bacon Bloody Mary's at 11,500' at A-Basin's Black Mtn Lodge:

LL

KustyTheKlown

Vail? Barf.

Of all the places in Colorado, evil shitty boring euro fuckin vail?

As most have said, winter park, copper, Loveland, basin.

mikestaple

Steamboat is low and will be mushy and closing up. Stay in Frisco. Then ski Copper and Abasin. Copper base is thin for non skier entertainment. Frisco is a real town.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

raisingarizona

"As it is now they're on a 56 inch base according to todays snow report and that's really not all that deep considering its mid march."

"Me personally I would stay high"

56 inch base isn't very good for them.

Staying high is pretty easy to do in Colorado. :)

Went to Snowmass / Aspen last year late March early April. Recommend it for sure. Really liked Snowmass. First time there and Aspen, good town to hang out in, walk around, people watch....She can definitely entertain herself for a few days there. I think it has the whole package deal there - great skiing, Snowmass has everything from groomers to steeps, plenty of altitude so you should have good conditions, Aspen is fun to hang around in. Plenty of different happy hours to hit. If you have wheels she can head north toward Glenwood Springs and go up there and enjoy the lounging in the hot spring / pools.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Steamboat in April is usually pretty mushy I would imagine. I like it there in the Cold months when they're getting that super cold pow. As it is now they're on a 56 inch base according to todays snow report and that's really not all that deep considering its mid march. Me personally I would stay high

Only 56"?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

Only 56"?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ok 55 now per website. That's plenty of snow for the moment but I've always found steamboat to be a great midwinter area and real hit or miss as the end of February approaches. Sure you could get a real good storm but it also get sun blasted. With that said I think its a terrific mtn and a cool town.

gmcunni

Went to Snowmass / Aspen last year late March early April. Recommend it for sure. Really liked Snowmass. First time there and Aspen, good town to hang out in, walk around, people watch....She can definitely entertain herself for a few days there. I think it has the whole package deal there - great skiing, Snowmass has everything from groomers to steeps, plenty of altitude so you should have good conditions, Aspen is fun to hang around in. Plenty of different happy hours to hit. If you have wheels she can head north toward Glenwood Springs and go up there and enjoy the lounging in the hot spring / pools.

this sounds interesting.

dlague

Well the saving grace is colder temps at night. Weather is starting to cool down after today. Snow is expected this week and it looks like we make get into a pattern of goodness. I would not dismiss Steamboat just yet. There are plenty of options once you are here or allow your choice to be determined the week before.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

gmcunni

my biggest concern at this point is that a lot of the places i'm looking to ski (trying to find a new never been to place) are targeting the 4/16 weekend as closing date. i'm a little worried that they won't be putting in much effort in the week leading up to that with less mid-week traffic.

but as they say... a bad day of skiing in the west beats a good day in the east :flame:

dlague

but as they say... a bad day of skiing in the west beats a good day in the east :flame:

Good thing I did not post that! I am still happy with the season as a whole. Pretty consistent overall! No deep freezes, lots of terrain and with about 25 days in still finding new trails!

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Gonna be in CO weekend of April 21-23, flying in and out of Denver and with a place to stay in Ft. Collins.

What seems most likely to be open and decent then?

Last edited:

jimk

Gonna be in CO weekend of April 23-25, flying in and out of Denver and with a place to stay in Ft. Collins.

What seems most likely to be open and decent then?
I guess the closest to be guaranteed to be open then is Loveland at about 2 hours from Ft. C. A-Basin too, just a few minutes farther. Some of the others like Winter Park, Copper, Breck, Keystone, Vail, etc you will have to verify if they are still open then.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It ain't over yet.....at least not in Utah. I imagine that CO has a similar forecast this week:

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for the western two thirds of
Utah and southwest Wyoming.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Gusty southwest winds will bring another mild day to the region.
The threat of showers increases tonight with the arrival of a cold
front.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Wednesday through Monday

A storm system will affect the region Wednesday and Thursday.
Showers will become more widespread midweek and may be locally
heavy especially across portions of southern Utah and northwest
Utah. Snow levels fall from near 9000 feet Wednesday morning, to
7000 feet by Thursday morning. Significant snowfall is possible in
the mountains, with winter driving conditions on the mid and high
elevation roadways.

Another cool and wet storm is expected for the upcoming weekend.

jimk

Today 3/21/17 from NWS, the LCC I know and love:
Wednesday
Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 41. South wind 14 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 30. South wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 30. West northwest wind 8 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Today 3/21/17 from NWS, the LCC I know and love:
Wednesday
Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 41. South wind 14 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 30. South wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 30. West northwest wind 8 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Yes sir!