Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by farlep99 View Post
    Vail corporate folks were at Stowe all summer. That's when the rumors started. Then they died down & this past weekend it flared again because serious Vail bigwigs were back. I have it on pretty good authority that the deal is done. It was a "you didn't hear this from me" situation so make of that what you will. But this is a very well connected money guy who said the deal was in the 300-400mil range
    It would be a way for the remnants of AIG to cash out and leave the business. Though Mr. Starr would be rolling in his grave.

It would also spell an end to Stowe's Mountain Collective membership.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I'm with BG. They used to allow reciprocal one ride up tickets on Sterling and Big Spruce for those who ventured over. If you had a season pass you just went to the lodge at Smuggs and they'd give you a one up ticket they'd collect at the lift. If you had a Stowe day ticket, the lifty would hole punch it. Worked the same way in reverse. 2000-2001 we would start almost every day at Big Spruce and do a lap down to the birthday bowls sometimes sneaking a few laps on Sterling before heading back over. The skate was maybe ten minutes back to Spruce across the pond. Loved it.
    This makes the most sense. People who want to ski backcountry and end up at the other resort's base should be able to lift their way back without cost or hassle. Why not?

But a full interconnect, I agree along the same lines as K and Pico analogy.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Vail should be broken up. The extra competition would help bring down lift ticket prices. I doubt there are many benefits to such large scale operations for ski areas.

As for the interconnect idea. The lift would be slightly shorter than the Breckinridge Peek 6 connector lift so I guess it would be reasonable by there standards.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    It would be a way for the remnants of AIG to cash out and leave the business. Though Mr. Starr would be rolling in his grave.

It would also spell an end to Stowe's Mountain Collective membership.
    Pretty sure that the mountain collective pass losing Stowe is not a big deal. Losing 2 days of skiing in the east. I never found MC Pass to be attractive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Vail should be broken up. The extra competition would help bring down lift ticket prices. I doubt there are many benefits to such large scale operations for ski areas.
    Not sure I agree. Their walk up ticket prices may be high, but their Epic pass options are hard to beat for people interested in skiing the resorts in Vail's portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Not sure I agree. Their walk up ticket prices may be high, but their Epic pass options are hard to beat for people interested in skiing the resorts in Vail's portfolio.
    They sell a boat load of passes and breaking it up probably would jeopardize that.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post

As for the interconnect idea. The lift would be slightly shorter than the Breckinridge Peek 6 connector lift so I guess it would be reasonable by there standards.
    Vail is by far the most efficient resort operator in North America IMO. They've proven there are VAST benefits to large scale market share and management. Why do you think there aren't benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Here's my insider knowledge- a Vail executive coined me in on a conceptual picture of Alpinezone approximately 10 seconds after Vail buys Stowe...

Attachment 21630
    Hah!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Pretty sure that the mountain collective pass losing Stowe is not a big deal. Losing 2 days of skiing in the east. I never found MC Pass to be attractive.

Wouldn't be too sure of that. It was the tipping point for me to purchase it when they added Stowe and I personally know a few folks who did the same. To have a mountain part of that pass that I could drive too and already hit about 10 times a year made it a no brainer. I'm sure there are others like me that made the purchase when they added Stowe.

Don't love the idea of a vail purchase... having been up there between Christmas and New Years it seemed like the road/parking infrastructure was maxed out this year. Hadn't seen anything like it before in all my years going up there since I was in high school... would imagine with the epic pass you would add to that crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Vail is by far the most efficient resort operator in North America IMO. They've proven there are VAST benefits to large scale market share and management. Why do you think there aren't benefits?
    Diseconomies of scale. Unless you want to use market share to increase prices I don't see many benefits since not much can be centralized.

Thread Information