Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Diseconomies of scale. Unless you want to use market share to increase prices I don't see many benefits since not much can be centralized.
    What benefits are we talking about? I love our benefits. $609 and we have access to a lot of great mountains including Whistler, Park City, Tahoe and the resorts in Colorado. Practically unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    What benefits are we talking about? I love our benefits. $609 and we have access to a lot of great mountains including Whistler, Park City, Tahoe and the resorts in Colorado. Practically unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    Don't you have the Mountain Collective, and Max passes too for mountain owned by different operatores along with smaller local deals like Solitude and Brighton. But i am shocked to here its that cheep. Its not for sale so i can't see the price on there website.

Don't you have the Mountain Collective, and Max passes too for mountain owned by different operatores along with smaller local deals like Solitude and Brighton. But i am shocked to here its that cheep. Its not for sale so i can't see the price on there website.
    The regular Epic Pass was $809 I believe at the early price. Don't believe that one had any restrictions on their US resorts. The Epic pass sales do incredible volume, although I believe the thought is that many of the passes are not used for tons of days (i.e. some easterners buy them and only take a few trips out west, which still is enough to cover the cost of the pass). But Vail also counts on people spending money on lodging, food, etc as part of their business model.

The chicken hasn't hatched yet, but where are all of the people who have always insisted that Vail would never buy a resort in the northeast? I've seen many such posts here.

I had heard a rumor that Vail was looking into buying Stratton, so maybe there is more interest in the east then previously thought.

A couple of areas in the east might cause me to look into it. What I wonder is will moves (or potential moves) like this force some of the "independents" (Smuggs, Bush, Jay etc) to team up for survival? Like I said in the Max Pass thread, I'm loving my season so far and planned the whole thing around those options.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Vail should be broken up. The extra competition would help bring down lift ticket prices. I doubt there are many benefits to such large scale operations for ski areas.
    The Epic Pass is the reason why we have inexpensive multi-mountain passes. Very beneficial for the consumer.
    2017-2018 3 Days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12 Stratton: 11/22 Killington: 12/1
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    I had heard a rumor that Vail was looking into buying Stratton, so maybe there is more interest in the east then previously thought.

A couple of areas in the east might cause me to look into it. What I wonder is will moves (or potential moves) like this force some of the "independents" (Smuggs, Bush, Jay etc) to team up for survival? Like I said in the Max Pass thread, I'm loving my season so far and planned the whole thing around those options.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I dont think Vail owning Stowe and/or Stratton is going to put anyone out of business. There are only so many beds, parking and so much uphill capacity that either of them can handle. If anything the potential overcrowding of the ski vacation experience will drive people to other mountains.

Diseconomies of scale. Unless you want to use market share to increase prices I don't see many benefits since not much can be centralized.
    Right, because centralization is the only possible benefit of large scale operations like Vail...

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    I dont think Vail owning Stowe and/or Stratton is going to put anyone out of business. There are only so many beds, parking and so much uphill capacity that either of them can handle. If anything the potential overcrowding of the ski vacation experience will drive people to other mountains.
    I mean, someone's gotta be there doing the overcrowding though!!

I wonder if it would drive easterners to take more western vacations similar to how the Texas family takes 2 ski trips instead of one with the Epic pass because the lift tickets are already paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    The chicken hasn't hatched yet, but where are all of the people who have always insisted that Vail would never buy a resort in the northeast? I've seen many such posts here.
    I never had a serious opinion one way or the other until reading Ski, Inc recently. When I read Chris Diamond say he believed Vail would eventually look to enter the northeastern market, I thought someone with his insider knowledge and experience probably had a better grasp of things than people on this board saying they never would.

Thread Information