Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 634
  1. #51
    BTW Whistler is already part of both the Epic and Epic Local Passes. I could go there today! They added to the passes with no up charge or anything. Also if they do pick up Stowe I guarantee it will be part of their passes - that is what they do. And just because they by Stowe they would not significant increase the pass price. That thought is too funny. There will not be an add-on either. They bought Whistler and did not do that so Stowe will not cause that either.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I disagree. I am a season pass holder at SB. I would never leave SB but its intriguing to me because you could have a home mountain in New England and then plan a family trip out west and it would be covered under your season pass. There are probably many new englanders that Plan a couple of trips up north and do a trip out west. In terms of market share this would entice the consumer to gravitate towards the Vail product.
    But the crowds you would have a Stowe, OMG
    That would be their plan to get more New Englanders to buy the pass for a local hill and many would now consider all the other destinations. Whistler, Colorado, Utah, Tahoe. Not seeing this the other way around.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  3. #53
    Just look at other mountains out west, they do not have pass prices equally as low as Vail's, especially in areas where Vail's presence isn't as big (i.e. Utah).

    I do think another big pull is that the Vail name means a lot to the 3-5 day/year skier. They would be drawn to that name a product even more than they might be drawn to the Stowe name alone.

    I'd be worried that Stowe would lose some of its character and become even more upscale than it already is. High speed lifts everywhere would make it ski a lot different than it currently does despite having a multitude of HSQs already. I just hope they wouldn't widen or touch the front 4 in an effort to increase capacity or something.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    BTW Whistler is already part of both the Epic and Epic Local Passes. I could go there today! They added to the passes with no up charge or anything. Also if they do pick up Stowe I guarantee it will be part of their passes - that is what they do. And just because they by Stowe they would not significant increase the pass price. That thought is too funny. There will not be an add-on either. They bought Whistler and did not do that so Stowe will not cause that either.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    Not really an apples to apples comparison between Stowe and Whistler. Whistler is the largest resort in North America. They had the capacity to absorb significant increases in business. Stowe does not. Because of this reality, maybe they would have to adjust their model for Stowe. Perhaps the Epic Pass only includes Stowe midweek. If you want to ski Stowe on the weekends, it's another $500 or something in that neighborhood. That would still represent a significant savings over current pricing at Stowe and offer the benefit of out west destinations on the pass. $1309 also wouldn't be so cheap that people would start jumping over from Sugarbush, Jay, Smuggs etc.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I disagree. I am a season pass holder at SB. I would never leave SB but its intriguing to me because you could have a home mountain in New England and then plan a family trip out west and it would be covered under your season pass. There are probably many new englanders that Plan a couple of trips up north and do a trip out west. In terms of market share this would entice the consumer to gravitate towards the Vail product.
    But the crowds you would have a Stowe, OMG
    Totally agree with this assessment

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    They had the capacity to absorb significant increases in business. Stowe does not. Because of this reality, maybe they would have to adjust their model for Stowe.
    Do you think Vail realizes that or cares though? I think about the crowds that I've heard of at Vail itself, their day with 50,000 skier visits or whatever it was. Is that not beyond capacity (not sure what their on hill crowding looked like)?

  7. #57
    I don't personally think stowe would be alone. I bet they pick up something else as well to go along with it. There's alot of potential real estate up for purchase in new England right now. If they move in they will set up shop and compete.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Not really an apples to apples comparison between Stowe and Whistler. Whistler is the largest resort in North America. They had the capacity to absorb significant increases in business. Stowe does not. Because of this reality, maybe they would have to adjust their model for Stowe. Perhaps the Epic Pass only includes Stowe midweek. If you want to ski Stowe on the weekends, it's another $500 or something in that neighborhood. That would still represent a significant savings over current pricing at Stowe and offer the benefit of out west destinations on the pass. $1309 also wouldn't be so cheap that people would start jumping over from Sugarbush, Jay, Smuggs etc.
    That was my thinking as well. Just because they did it with Whistler doesn't mean they would automatically do it with Stowe. Could they? Sure, but like you said they also could go with a lot of other options. It is way too premature to assume we know anything about what they will "definitely" do just because they did things that way in the past or with other acquisitions. An eastern resort is a whole new ball-game for Vail as far as I'm concerned.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Do you think Vail realizes that or cares though? I think about the crowds that I've heard of at Vail itself, their day with 50,000 skier visits or whatever it was. Is that not beyond capacity (not sure what their on hill crowding looked like)?
    Well, Vail has an uphill capacity of 50K people and can spread them over 5000+ acres. Stowe has an uphill capacity of 15K people spread over 500 acres. Pretty certain busiest days of the season at Stowe top 10K. So, the skier density on the trails at Stowe on busy days is nightmarish compared to Vail. Would Vail care? Maybe. Considering there are other options like the MAXX and Mountain Collective passes they might. Speaking for myself, I'd spend more money to go MAXX pass add on if my home Northeastern mountain was still manageable than go with the Epic on the cheap and deal with a total madhouse every weekend at Stowe that price likely causes.

  10. #60
    As far as pricing is concerned, Vail is not going to run Stowe as an island. The whole point is to drive business out west. So whatever the pass price may be, I am confident that Vail will want to sell as many passes as possible in order to get as many people as possible taking a trip out west.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:36 PM.