Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keelhauled View Post
    I gotta assume Vail would have planned a way to mitigate that. My guess would be to use Toll House, stick a new parking lot/garage down there and run a six pack up the hill.
    I can't find anywhere that a new parking lot of significant size could be put in near the Toll House. IMHO, they would have to build a 7 story parking garage where the tennis courts are to have enough parking spaces to make an impact there.

I think adding a partial deck over the main lot would be more effective (see Jay Peak's main lot) and more likely to get environmental approval.

You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I heard the Friday before New Years was a just under 10K day for Stowe. While the road/parking and even dining infrastructure was stretched to capacity, on hill I didn't think the density was that bad, in fact as someone that has to scratch my itch at a place like Hunter or Camelback on the occasional weekend I never feel the on hill density at Stowe is that bad. That said... adding more high speed lifts or additional parking down at toll rd would definitely impact how the mountain skis. Widening something like chin clip would be a travesty. Also wondering if additional parking really alleviate the mountain road traffic issue? Leaving was equally as bad New Years weekend for those that didn't leave a bit early.

I've also heard rumors about Vail looking at Stratton. I've been going to Stratton pretty regularly over the last few seasons, and have been following the Intrawest stock price. It's up considerably over the last year. (From approx 7.5 to over 20). That run hasn't been fueled by growing revenues but there has been some improvement in their bottom line. Still, I suspect the market expects some consolidation. I'm curious if Intrawest is looking to unload more properties.

http://finance.yahoo.com/m/4bc63f1b-...ldings%2C.html

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    The chicken hasn't hatched yet, but where are all of the people who have always insisted that Vail would never buy a resort in the northeast? I've seen many such posts here.
    I dont know that I've seen those posts, but it makes no sense. Assuming the numbers work, adding an eastern resort to the Vail portfolio decreases financial risk through geographical diversification. Frankly, I'm surprised Vail hasn't bought an eastern resort long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post

I'd be worried that Stowe would lose some of its character and become even more upscale than it already is.
    Is that possible? Stowe would have to add waterparks, rollercoasters, and a 3 story shopping mall to lose additional "character" at this point. I dont recognize Spruce. Thankfully they werent permitted to demolish the main lodge, which is really a "main lodge" in name only now given the stuff over at Spruce is really the "main lodge" now.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Is that possible? Stowe would have to add waterparks, rollercoasters, and a 3 story shopping mall to lose additional "character" at this point. I dont recognize Spruce. Thankfully they werent permitted to demolish the main lodge, which is really a "main lodge" in name only now given the stuff over at Spruce is really the "main lodge" now.
    Haha! I guess I am talking about the Mansfield side. You're right about Spruce, but when you're on the hill by the Fourrunner, it feels pretty different. Adding more HSQs and wider terrain could possibly harm that.

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    I can't find anywhere that a new parking lot of significant size could be put in near the Toll House. IMHO, they would have to build a 7 story parking garage where the tennis courts are to have enough parking spaces to make an impact there.

I think adding a partial deck over the main lot would be more effective (see Jay Peak's main lot) and more likely to get environmental approval.
    Vail would probably charge for parking, like they currently do in Colorado

Imagine the first winter it doesn't snow here and Vail has to realize how much money it costs to make snow over the entire mountain... Going to be a pretty big eye opener for them. Its not like out west where you make a base on some trails and nature does its thing. Even in a good winter, there are thaw/refreeze cycles. Totally different cash flow/profit model. Can it work, yes if they sell X number of additional Epic passes
    2017-2018

Ski Visits in PA
    Ski Visits in VT
    Total Ski Visits

Ski Roundtop
    Ski Liberty
    Stowe
    Sugarbush
    Killington

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Well, Vail has an uphill capacity of 50K people and can spread them over 5000+ acres. Stowe has an uphill capacity of 15K people spread over 500 acres. Pretty certain busiest days of the season at Stowe top 10K. So, the skier density on the trails at Stowe on busy days is nightmarish compared to Vail. Would Vail care? Maybe. Considering there are other options like the MAXX and Mountain Collective passes they might. Speaking for myself, I'd spend more money to go MAXX pass add on if my home Northeastern mountain was still manageable than go with the Epic on the cheap and deal with a total madhouse every weekend at Stowe that price likely causes.
    My fear is exactly that. While Stowe's uphill capacity is ~1/3 of Vail's its acreage is 1/10th. People are willing to suffer through long lift lines out west, but I personally don't think people would be willing to suffer through the same on trail crowding that could happen with too much uphill and not enough downhill capacity.

That is a good point about the MAXX pass though.
    Last edited by Jully; Jan 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    Imagine the first winter it doesn't snow here and Vail has to realize how much money it costs to make snow over the entire mountain... Going to be a pretty big eye opener for them. Its not like out west where you make a base on some trails and nature does its thing. Even in a good winter, there are thaw/refreeze cycles. Totally different cash flow/profit model. Can it work, yes if they sell X number of additional Epic passes
    One would imagine a publicly traded, multi-million dollar company wouldn't realize this after they purchase the mountain. They know full well what the potential costs are in a worst case scenario before closing a deal

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    Vail has old East Coast people in their management- Blaise used to be president at Sugarbush...

Thread Information