• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail to buy Stowe?

farlep99

They could easily add a second level to the Mansfield parking lot. The entire thing is paved already, so no real stormwater runoff impact. They could even do it in phases if they didn't want to make the entire thing 2 levels at once. Start at the end of the lot closest to the Gondola and work towards town.

The Mansfield lot is not paved. Not sure what you're referring to here

dlague

While technically not the Front range, that's what summit county resorts and to a lesser extent Vail have been called for years.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
Did not know that nor have I heard it. But that makes sense as in the front of the mountain range? I mean they are all on the western side of the Continental Divide as in their snow melt flows to the Pacific like Aspen.

From a skiing vert Aspen does have a lot to deliver - wish it was closer to me. About 4 hours from where I live.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

WJenness

So.....12 pages later....any more evidence that suggests that Vail is going to buy the place?

Not exactly what a lawyer would call evidence;-), but someone on KZone was saying "look for a press release today"... So let's see what happens.

-w

Edd

So.....12 pages later....any more evidence that suggests that Vail is going to buy the place?

Googling it a few times a day since the thread started. Only hits on ski forums.

I selfishly would prefer that they purchase the Boyne trio of NE ski areas. It would cover more ground for them in NE and would be more consistent with their pass pricing structure. I'd go back to Boyne instantly assuming that they'd be incorporated into the standard Epic pass.

The bad news is that the already serious weekend crowds would reach EPIC-demic (sorry) proportions at those areas. But I'm a weekday guy. Again, I'm selfish.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't read back through every post - but didn't see mention of the quaint town of Stowe being a draw for Vail. It's the quintessential picture perfect NE town that people from afar kind of expect. Do people from afar fly to NE to ski? Not as much as the west I bet. But if you skip the east because of the snow/conditions, maybe you'd be more enticed by a NE resort town. I'm not sure what transportation is like - but do they shuttle from town to the Mountain? Can they do more to the resort vibe if you include the town?

Personally, Stowe was my favorite Mt in New England - before we had kids and committed to SR. Haven't been skiing there in 20 years - but it was always our first choice (and my brother settled there so I've visited Stowe more recently without skiing). I loved the terrain - we'd pop in woods all over the place. It'd bust our budget now tho.
Stowe gets a fair amount of British skiers, but obviously people don't travel great distances in the numbers they do out west.

The town does have e a great ski shuttle bus that stops at most all lodging properties in town

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

The Mansfield lot is not paved. Not sure what you're referring to here

It most certainly is paved and has been since at least 2014 according to this Google Street View. Judging by the pavement it has been paved for several years at that point.

Mansfield Parking Lot.jpg

Jully

Second article in the Stowe Reporter, but no press release. I've heard from a few different forums/comments that today is the day for the press release. We will see if that is true...

burski

The only people who put out a press release on a Friday afternoon are people who don't want a press release read... It seems unlikely we'll see anything today.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you look at the stock price it is on its way up. People anticipating a buy?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Or California, Colorado, and Utah are having a REALLY good winter after about five years of drought and revenues are up.

Zermatt

That's not the kind of thing that usually drives a stock up. Dumb purchases usually crush a stock, good purchases are mostly neutral or slightly negative until it becomes clear it was a good investment.

benski

Looks like its been rising for 10 days so must be another reason. Looks like its the snow and/or something that has to do with the general economy.
Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 4.08.33 PM.jpg

machski

Googling it a few times a day since the thread started. Only hits on ski forums.

I selfishly would prefer that they purchase the Boyne trio of NE ski areas. It would cover more ground for them in NE and would be more consistent with their pass pricing structure. I'd go back to Boyne instantly assuming that they'd be incorporated into the standard Epic pass.

The bad news is that the already serious weekend crowds would reach EPIC-demic (sorry) proportions at those areas. But I'm a weekday guy. Again, I'm selfish.
Well that would be a nice infusion of cash for these three, doubt Vail would attempt. Boyne holds long term operating leases and my understanding is they have an option to buy on SL/SR (the Loon deal is different).

dlague

Well that would be a nice infusion of cash for these three, doubt Vail would attempt. Boyne holds long term operating leases and my understanding is they have an option to buy on SL/SR (the Loon deal is different).
Yup do not think Vail wants operating leases. As far as stock prices. These huge snow events for Colorado Utah and California as well as the purchase of Whistler are probably more of a driver.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

farlep99

no press release but wall street now talking...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13971085/1/vail-resorts-may-acquire-vermont-s-stowe-mountain.html

in this article it says "nothing has been written or signed." this is consistent with what I've heard this past week. there was a handshake deal done, but nothing official. I think a lot of it is hinging on the price & potential Toll House area development. If there are no major obstacles to developing Toll House the deal could reach $500mil. But if there are land/development issues (and this being VT, there almost certainly is) it could be in the $275-300mil range. This is obviously very speculative, but I've talked to people pretty close to the situation.