Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    I can tell you as of now I won't be going to a Sugarbush or Smugglers because they are not part of a package. No doubt they are great areas, but a bundled product is so much more attractive then a solo one. I wonder how many people feel the same way I do?
    Put me down for feeling precisely the opposite. Granted, if the mountain's good the moutain's good, but in general in terms of the "other stuff", I'm not a fan of McSkiing, and prefer small independent ski areas which each put their own spin on things and have their own character, and worry that with big conglomerates you may start to notice similarities which exist due to cost savings via scale. I much prefer a Smuggler's Notch or a Plattekill to the giants. That said, I'm not an "amenity seeker" to begin with, 90% of my focus is on terrain/weather, so those who enjoy lavish lodging and 4-star restaurants will not doubt feel otherwise. My 2.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SnoDevil97 View Post
    Cool - so instead of $400/night rooms @ the Lodge & $100 lift tix - $600/night rooms & $150 lift tix.

Original prices were marginally prohibitive for me, but I've always wanted to ski Stowe. Guess not now. My fear is that Vail's pricing practices will cause increases elsewhere in the northeast, which are pretty high as they are. I fear for the long-term viability of skiing in the northeast given the decreasing snow due to warming & increased costs.
    The point is not to buy daily lift tickets but buy the pass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Certainly not common, but we weren't necessarily talking about common weekends at Stowe either. We were talking about holiday crowds.

That is exactly my point though, Vail can spread people out, Stowe can't. At least not in the same way as some western resorts.
    Well we skied Vail on new years day and trails were vacant. Christmas was the same.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Put me down for feeling precisely the opposite. Granted, if the mountain's good the moutain's good, but in general in terms of the "other stuff", I'm not a fan of McSkiing, and prefer small independent ski areas which each put their own spin on things and have their own character, and worry that with big conglomerates you may start to notice similarities which exist due to cost savings via scale. I much prefer a Smuggler's Notch or a Plattekill to the giants. That said, I'm not an "amenity seeker" to begin with, 90% of my focus is on terrain/weather, so those who enjoy lavish lodging and 4-star restaurants will not doubt feel otherwise. My 2.
    Well I like having diversity as well so the Epic Local Pass still gives us that. We have been to 6 ski areas that have a combined 15,000 acres and we will hit a few more. Terrain variety has not been a problem. We are not the overnight skin in ski out lodging type and limit our time in the restaurants and bars. So it works for us.

Last edited by dlague; Jan 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    The point is not to buy daily lift tickets but buy the pass.

Thats great for us enthusiasts but what I find with this model is, as a pass holder it's tough to introduce new people, and other families to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    Thats great for us enthusiasts but what I find with this model is, as a pass holder it's tough to introduce new people, and other families to the sport.
    I agree. Even though I'm a passholder and get terrific value out of it, I still worry about the daily ticket rates resulting in problems down the line with getting more people into the sport. For people that ski a lot, passes are fantastic. For people interested in trying the sport or casual skiers/riders, day tickets scare them away.

Question as I contemplate a MTN owned Stowe... is the thought that MTN would make their EPIC pass money based on volume considering current cost of that product versus a Stowe season pass?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
    Question as I contemplate a MTN owned Stowe... is the thought that MTN would make their EPIC pass money based on volume considering current cost of that product versus a Stowe season pass?
    I believe so, but remember only half of MTN's profits come from ticket sales. But with regards to pass holders its also about attracting new customers in the east and getting former Stowe passholders to go out west and spending money out there!

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I agree. Even though I'm a passholder and get terrific value out of it, I still worry about the daily ticket rates resulting in problems down the line with getting more people into the sport. For people that ski a lot, passes are fantastic. For people interested in trying the sport or casual skiers/riders, day tickets scare them away.
    I agree with you, but you already see other mountains trying to fill this void. Ragged has a free to ski and ride program where you get 3 free lessons with everything included. You then can buy your own gear at a reasonable discount and get a wicked cheap season pass for the rest of that year and the next year.

The program seems pretty popular too. The busiest lift most days I'm there is their beginner lift!

If more programs like these pop up, I'll feel even better about the future of the sport. Different mountains are just targeting different demographics!

If Vail is still in the buying mood, which I doubt they will be right away if they buy Stowe, I think these would be prime options:
    - Bromont: Closest sizeable ski area to Montreal and can drive traffic to Whistler.
    - Whitetail: There is a lot of money in the D.C. area and since the skiing isn't so great pass holders would be very tempted to ski out west.

Thread Information