• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail to buy Stowe?

cdskier

you can still load an evolution stowe card for straight to lift. it seems they just eliminated bypass special pricing

Straight to lift as long as you load something in advance onto it...

If you don't do it 48 hours in advance, I'm curious to see what the rates will be when they announce them.

machski

Straight to lift as long as you load something in advance onto it...

If you don't do it 48 hours in advance, I'm curious to see what the rates will be when they announce them.
I think the 48 hours for best rate is beginning to become a norm in the industry, at least amongst the big resorts.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I think the 48 hours for best rate is beginning to become a norm in the industry, at least amongst the big resorts.

I agree. Anything within 48 hours will be walk up window prices (or close to them). Didn't online tickets from a lot of other resorts already need to be purchased in advance as well to get discounts? Some may have been only 1 day ahead, but I don't blame resorts for only giving discounts if you purchase at least a certain amount of time in advance. If you want to wait until the last minute, you pay the full rate.

tnt1234

you can still load an evolution stowe card for straight to lift. it seems they just eliminated bypass special pricing

But with by pass, you didn't even need to load the card - first scan at the lift charged you lowest price possible for that day.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They still participate in Ski Vermont passes + CT ski club days.

Nope, they pulled out of the CT club Awareness Days program. Recently, too. They had dates locked in that suddenly went poof...f*** Vail...

The ski club days webpage is also gone...even though it had been updated for 2017-2018... https://www.stowe.com/groups/council/

So instead of getting $150 or whatever it was for the three day weekend in March they'll get nothing from me.

Amen! I'll support VT resorts, but as a member of a ski club that seems like a bad business decision, at least for the current year!

BenedictGomez

Nope, they pulled out of the CT club Awareness Days program. Recently, too. They had dates locked in that suddenly went poof...f*** Vail...

The ski club days webpage is also gone...even though it had been updated for 2017-2018..
. https://www.stowe.com/groups/council/

So instead of getting $150 or whatever it was for the three day weekend in March they'll get nothing from me.

Wow.

That is HORRENDOUS from a PR standpoint. Really surprised given Vail isnt........ dumb.

My prediction was (nearly) correct though. IYR, I said that either after this season or the next season Vail would yank all those deals. The reason I believed Vail would leave them intact for this season is that they're usually a pretty savvy company, and you dont flip over the apple cart immediately post acquisition, because that tends to make people really angry (as well as the fact everyone is watching). So I thought they'd go with the boiling-the-frog-slowly strategy and pull those offers after a season or two.

EDIT: And I'd have to imagine this will be the last year for Stowe being on the Vermont 3 & 5 passes.

Last edited:

drjeff

Makes 100% sense from the Vail business model if one is honestly looking at things. Vail Resorts via their frankly underpriced Epic Pass is all about getting people to use their passes to take a destination trip or 2 or more to one of their resorts. They're not about the day trip model when it gets down to it. The long weekend to week long trip, very, very often with additional purchases of Vail Resorts offerings (rentals, lessons, lodging, food and beverage, etc) is far more profitable that a day tripper, on a discount ticket, who often won't buy very much, if it all other items from them. The majority of ski club day trippers also more often than not, won't be taking an extended ski vacation to one of their other resorts, I'm guessing that based on the number of Epic Passes Vail Resorts has sold in the general Stowe area as well as the Northeast, that they made the decision, using that data to end the ski club tickets, since they're expecting that that extra crowd volume isn't worth it to their Epic Pass guests.....

tnt1234

Makes 100% sense from the Vail business model if one is honestly looking at things. Vail Resorts via their frankly underpriced Epic Pass is all about getting people to use their passes to take a destination trip or 2 or more to one of their resorts. They're not about the day trip model when it gets down to it. The long weekend to week long trip, very, very often with additional purchases of Vail Resorts offerings (rentals, lessons, lodging, food and beverage, etc) is far more profitable that a day tripper, on a discount ticket, who often won't buy very much, if it all other items from them. The majority of ski club day trippers also more often than not, won't be taking an extended ski vacation to one of their other resorts, I'm guessing that based on the number of Epic Passes Vail Resorts has sold in the general Stowe area as well as the Northeast, that they made the decision, using that data to end the ski club tickets, since they're expecting that that extra crowd volume isn't worth it to their Epic Pass guests.....

I guess that is what they are thinking, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Day trippers do spend extra money there, and the mountain really handles crowds really well. Why not have the best of both worlds?

I'm also skeptical that Stowe pass holders are eager to visit other vail properties.

But what do I know...

jimmywilson69

I'm also skeptical that Stowe pass holders are eager to visit other vail properties.

But what do I know...

Its not the prototypical Stowe Pass holder. Its all of the other Epic Pass holders that will now be going there because they have a conduit to the west as well as the east.

Jully

I guess that is what they are thinking, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Day trippers do spend extra money there, and the mountain really handles crowds really well. Why not have the best of both worlds?

But what do I know...

I think the Stowe locals will not be eager to visit other properties, but the wealthier Stowe clientele coming up from NYC and CT may very well be interested in skiing west. Many of them likely already do!

BenedictGomez

I'll shoot them an email inquiring about PSIA rates...that'll be fun! :lol:

Please paste the response here!

But what do I know...

Oh, I think it will work great, at least in the short-term (5'ish years).

They slashed the Stowe pass in 1/2, that will drive volume growth right there to make up some of that difference. Only wildcard will be how obnoxious the crowds will be. If they turn Stowe into Hunter or Killington, it will be a disaster. But if that happens, they'll just raise the prices to sort that out.

SnowRock

Seems like they are still participating with the vermont travel club card.. $80 rate. Was what I used for stowe for a while pre mt collective and of course has a bunch of other mountain, food and lodging deals.

tnt1234

I think the Stowe locals will not be eager to visit other properties, but the wealthier Stowe clientele coming up from NYC and CT may very well be interested in skiing west. Many of them likely already do!

Yeah, I suppose.

Also, I know a some folks with houses up there who weren't buying passes because they were so bloody expensive. And even with a house, it was hard to make them pay for themselves. These families did often ski other places as well, including out west. So yeah, make that pass more affordable, make sure everyone who skies 10 days or so locks into it, and that will lock them into a vail propterty when they travel....

mbedle

FYI, but don't throw out your evolution card. They are not switching over to the epic pass system at Stowe this year. They are going to load a season pass onto your current evolution card. Not a big deal if you did already, you will just have to pick up a evolution card on the first visit.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Looks like the ski club & council appreciation days are back, @ a slightly higher amount!

$76 per day is still a tough pill to swallow. Most "awareness days" at other major resorts are in the $40-$55 range...exceptions being mid-season Saturdays where you might pay closer to $60. Even bulk-buy (valid anytime, buy in advance at the beginning of the season) top off at about $70.

Yes it is great that these club days are back...but if you're a ski club member chances are you're also a deal-hunter. And with all the ways to save these days, $76 just isn't a deal. They might get my money St. Patty's weekend. I don't know. Not having to buy in advance is a big win, I'll give them that.

hovercraft

On another note the riding has been excellent for early season. Looking forward to another great season