Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 72

AlpineZone

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
    Guy offers an on scene description of his 30 days. The internet disputes him....

thanks hovercraft.
    2017-2018

Ski Visits in PA 18
    Ski Visits in VT 4
    Total Ski Visits 23

Ski Roundtop 12/16, 12/22, 12/24, 12/26, 12/30, 12/31, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8 (LR), 1/11 (LR), 1/14, 1/16, 1/17 (LR), 1/20, 1/21, 1/25 (LR), 1/26 (LR), 1/27
    Ski Liberty
    Stowe 12/9
    Sugarbush
    Killington 2/2, 2/3
    Okemo
    2/4

* LR = 4 Lunch Runs

This is all due to weather. Jay Peak has pretty much been empty since the beginning of the year.

The other possibility is that lowering ticket price actually decreases crowds....

This is fun, again the weather wasn’t cold up to the 23rd. In that time frame compared to last year there were significantly less people at the mountain. Weather had nothing to do with that. I am sure that the weather since the 23rd has had an effect on crowds. In my experience I do not see the same amount of young people or bus tours at the mountain. It’s noticeably less. But who knows maybe my 31st day will be completely different....
    @jimmywilson69 your welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    Guy offers an on scene description of his 30 days. The internet disputes him....

thanks hovercraft.
    I wasn't "disputing" him, I was making the observation that ski resorts are never "crowded" before Christmas. I also used to work at Stowe for a number of years, and it was never "crowded" before Christmas.

Are ANY ski resorts "crowded" before Christmas? I was at Smuggler's Notch this year on a lovely mid-December Saturday after a TON of natural snowfall and on the very day that they dropped the ropes on Madonna - it wasn't crowded.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I’ve been up quite a few times so far. While it has been early season, outside of the absurd cold New Years time frame, I tend to agree that you don’t see the busses or group trips so far this season. I was up about the same amount this time last year and it certainly seemed busier. I have no doubt there will be days where it’s packed, it just has not been close to the predicted apocalypse with the crazy number of passes sold people were throwing out.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
    I’ve been up quite a few times so far. While it has been early season, outside of the absurd cold New Years time frame, I tend to agree that you don’t see the busses or group trips so far this season. I was up about the same amount this time last year and it certainly seemed busier. I have no doubt there will be days where it’s packed, it just has not been close to the predicted apocalypse with the crazy number of passes sold people were throwing out.
    I'm not debating yours or hovercraft's observations.

However, by all means it's been a strange year and I don't think it's possible to draw any conclusions at this point in the season, and certainly not based on current anecdotal observations. For all we know, globally, skier-visits may be down 50% in the east, with Stowe at 20%. As I said earlier, Jay Peak has been empty compared to last year. I have yet to wait for a lift, in my 15 days if skiing (not counting a few 10-minute lines for the Tram with the Flyer empty).

I think most resorts are hurting pretty bad right now.

Thread Information