• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 2/16/07

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 2/16/07

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: PP

Trip Report:

Wow. Absolutely amazing how small Wa looks after returning from Sugarbush and MRG. It looked like a little ant hill. Despite the way that it seems like the mountain shrunk, it was a great night with crowds decently low for the second week in a row and conditions were great.

Roper's: Took it as my first run and I thought I was back at MRG. The entire trail is opened on natural for the first time in 2 years after Wednesday's storm. The first half has plenty of grass, ice, and 2 nasty waterbars. The second half is covered better, but the pavement from the road is showing though in spots.

Balance Rock/Conifer: Upper Balance was better than normal since most people went past it to go down Roper's Road. A little scraped in the turns, but much better than normal. Lower was a little worse with more traffic than Upper and the turns were all scraped. Conifer was pretty good before grooming and I got to it about 10 minutes after it reopened and it was mint.

10th/Salamander: 10th was pretty good before grooming with a few bumps in the trail with a scraped spot or two. Speaking of bumps, the natural from Wednesday just about filled them in and they're little mounds now. They also blew bigger whales in the middle of them. After grooming, 10th was very fast and nice. Salamander was normal... a little scraped but not bad.

Smith: Didn't get to it before grooming, but it was very nice after grooming. Very little corn on the steep and no scraped spots at all for the second week in a row. Lower was also very fast. Polar started the night slow, but was sped up around 5. Longest line was around 3 minutes and it was usually around 20 chairs long.

Hitchcock: They took the boxes and rails out the park leaving a couple of mounds. They were actually pretty good for getting air. After those, I stayed on Hitchcock at the split and it was good the rest of the way.

Look Ma: They took out the lip on the second small jump, leaving just a mound. Other than that, it's virtually the same as last week. Halfpipe is getting pretty screwed up once again.

Ralph's: Normal cruise down it. Nice snow. Mounds near the bottom are pretty much gone. Minuteman had a maximum wait of 5 minutes and was more like 2 or 3 for most of the night in normal speed.

Well, that wraps up my 19th day of the season. I'll likely be at Berkshire East sometime next week and then next Friday is the 24 hours of skiing at Wachusett.