• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

let's talk about off map and sidecountry skiing at stowe...

cdskier

This is all way over my head..oy..
Cant imagine dropping in there..and coming back out..ever

I'm with you there. The super-tight technical stuff I'll stay away from.

On a somewhat related backcountry topic...I've never seen so many cars/people with skis in my life in the Brandon Gap area on Rt 73 in VT as I did Sunday on my way home. All 3 parking areas towards the top of the gap were packed and cars were parking along the highway.

KustyTheKlown

now that I've skied it, and I am 99% certain that "it" was octupus' garden, I know that (1) I will not go back in there unless I'm with other people who must be very strong skiers - the friends I usually ski with cannot go there, and (2) only after substantial snow - those landings would have been extremely dangerous without adequate cover

KustyTheKlown

hence the "will not ski it alone", and I didn't ski it alone. it worked out so perfect. I rode the single chair saying to myself "I want to find octopus garden" and the two dudes on the two chairs directly behind me just happened to be going there. one of those dudes is pictured.

kingslug

Just wastched some vids of paradise and other areas..sick..the one vid they are ripping everything at full speed..the other..falling all over the place trying to get down..crazy steep.

tnt1234

Yeah, I don't mind linking my way down a steep tight chute - it will take me forever, and it won't really be 'skiing' as much as it will be 'sliding with some jumping' but the big airs....no thanks! Wish I could. But I can't.

Last time in Paradise, tried to 'send it' off the first waterfall - where normally I would do that big hop turn on skier's left and slide down the ice - ended up facing the mountain with my skis spread eagle behind me tracking left and right! My daughter got a good laugh at that. Then followed my line and nailed it.

tnt1234

Just wastched some vids of paradise and other areas..sick..the one vid they are ripping everything at full speed..the other..falling all over the place trying to get down..crazy steep.

Paradise is damn steep - no getting around that....

KustyTheKlown

check out past paradise. makes paradise look like a bunny slope. i have skied one other line in between paradise and octopus, which i accesed from a bit lower down on paradise than i accessed octopus from. its also wild steep and narrow with at least one mandatory air. mrg gets pretty much vertical and cliffed out once you go past paradise.

bdfreetuna

now that I've skied it, and I am 99% certain that "it" was octupus' garden, I know that (1) I will not go back in there unless I'm with other people who must be very strong skiers - the friends I usually ski with cannot go there, and (2) only after substantial snow - those landings would have been extremely dangerous without adequate cover

afaik the garden isn't exactly just one way down, from your Ski Tracks and the pic it certainly looks like it.

Not the kind of thing I'm going to venture down alone -- and I normally have nobody to ski stuff like that with -- if we ever happen to be there on the same day let's just say you could probably twist my arm ...

KustyTheKlown

yea its just important to hit these drops with other people. it could go very south very fast alone.