• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

let's talk about off map and sidecountry skiing at stowe...

kingslug

Well..ill be there saturday as well..wife isnt coming..730 chair..leaving at 2 am...the traffic friday night sucks..adds a solid 1/2 hour..2am..not a soul on the road but us slugs..

rocks860

Well..ill be there saturday as well..wife isnt coming..730 chair..leaving at 2 am...the traffic friday night sucks..adds a solid 1/2 hour..2am..not a soul on the road but us slugs..

This post reads like some hunter s Thompson literature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

Vegas is the obvious first thing to read. But I really like "the great shark hunt" as an anthology of his journalism. "Campaign trail" is seminal but you need to be able to wade thru lots of very dated politics. Hst was much more than just some drug guy

bdfreetuna

leaving at 2 am...the traffic friday night sucks..adds a solid 1/2 hour

Good God, man! 2:00AM?!

I wake up at 5:00AM for a day trip to Jay Peak, and that's as bad as it gets. I cannot imagine commutes like that on any kind of recreational basis.

KustyTheKlown

Good God, man! 2:00AM?!

I wake up at 5:00AM for a day trip to Jay Peak, and that's as bad as it gets. I cannot imagine commutes like that on any kind of recreational basis.

i leave between 2 and 4 on friday nights/saturday mornings any time i am skiing alone and dont have someone to split the friday hotel with.

work>whiskey/xanax>intentionally boring docutelevision>sleep by 8>wake at 2/3/4>drive straight to ski

such is the downstate new york life

leaving friday evening actually kind of sucks. if you have to work til at least 5, then an immediate departure means brutal NYC metro area rush hour traffic, and an extra 90-120 minutes in the car. if you're going as far as waterbury/stowe or further, you arent arriving until after 12, and by the time you settle in etc you go to bed at 1 AM to wake up at 7:30 to get out and ski. its not worth the money, especially not alone. at 2 AM you are cruising, just you and the slugs. and the police.

Last edited:

kingslug

I get up at 4 everyday to spend 10 hours in misery..getting up at 2 to ski is easy. And thankfully its to ski in vt now that im in ct..used to get up early to ski the lesser places..Hunter used to be 3 to 3.5 to get to...stowe is 5..a worthy sacrifice..and now we have our own little slice of heaven to snooze in.

bdfreetuna

and the police

Well that's why you have a patsy car driving 300 yards ahead of you, they'll get pulled over which leaves you, your 20 kilos with your "Support Our Highway Troopers" sticker to continue unabated.

but seriously, I guess you have to adapt to your situation. You're managing to 4x my season this year and with a less convenient location so that takes dedication.

KustyTheKlown

Well that's why you have a patsy car driving 300 yards ahead of you, they'll get pulled over which leaves you, your 20 kilos with your "Support Our Highway Troopers" sticker to continue unabated.

but seriously, I guess you have to adapt to your situation. You're managing to 4x my season this year and with a less convenient location so that takes dedication.

true story - on the way up to my friends moms house in plattsburgh (a stopover on the way to tremblant), we were doing 75 in a 65 in my friends car on the northway up in the boonie adks. my friend was driving. i was in the backseat packing a bowl. sneaky fucker cop is hiding in the darkness behind an embankment and comes at us for 75! the bowl i was packing was an intentionally disposable throw-away bowl because it was really just for plattsburgh, i dont take glass/flowers over the intl border, so i threw that shit right out the window. cop ended up bagging the guy driving behind us.

moral of the story - better to be the lead car than the follow car

bdfreetuna

Funny you mention the Northway because that's the one highway I've seen a cop car pace an entire flow of traffic at 90mph.

I find with oils and especially CO2 extractions stuff gets pretty much undetectable anyway ;)

BenedictGomez

I was going to guess lawyer... but that was a very telling replly... now I'm thinking cocaine dealer.

Good catch. You have to read everything a lawyer writes extremely carefully.

Funny you mention the Northway because that's the one highway I've seen a cop car pace an entire flow of traffic at 90mph.

I call it the Ski Highway. Friday nights and Sunday afternoons, early evenings it's loaded with 4WD/AWD vehicles with ski racks/boxes. I do roughly 75 - 87 whenever it's feasible. Radar detector has bailed me out numerous times, and has paid for itself several times over.

kingslug

I go 75 in a 65..never get a ticket..and dont eat gas. I dont understand people who go 85..just asking for a very expensive ticket..and most tyimes we end up stuck behind slower cars at some point

KustyTheKlown

we weren't even going fast. he made a move for us at 75
and tuna, oil pens continued on the cross border journey

Jcb890

it really isn't so hard. first of all, I live with roommates and pay $1000 a month for rent. that may sound expensive to people who don't live in NYC, but here its extremely cheap. secondly, max pass and a refusal to stray from it except for skiVT 5 pack. thirdly, a willingness to drive thru the night on Fridays and avoid two nights of hotels. fourthly, a willingness to stay in some highly questionable hotels. fifthly, a willingness to sleep in my car if I must. sixthly, credit card miles for trips out west and friends in high (elevation) places with comfy couches in the west.

I'd move away from NYC in a heartbeat, but I need to pay off my student loans before that is an option. id love to live in beacon, or hudson, or maybe even Saratoga Springs

edit - just in case there was an implication of illegal income - I'm a relatively underpaid lawyer in house at a big bank. I don't work for the investment bank or any of our big dollar departments. I make less than average for a 32 year old NYC lawyer, but I make ok enough money to pay rent and to ski and to not default on my student loans, but not much more. I used to do airbnb when I lived alone in NYC and that got me a solid $10K+ extra income per year. I have never been a pot dealer or anything like that.
$1,000/month isn't crazy for rent pretty much anywhere. In NYC, that is insanely cheap.

KustyTheKlown

yea, in other locales $1000/month may let you live alone in a decent place. i live in a tiny apt in an old converted house that is not in the greatest shape, with 3 roommates (it's a 4 bedroom, adults don't share bedrooms unless they have sex with each other, thankfully)

benski

it really isn't so hard. first of all, I live with roommates and pay $1000 a month for rent. that may sound expensive to people who don't live in NYC, but here its extremely cheap. secondly, max pass and a refusal to stray from it except for skiVT 5 pack. thirdly, a willingness to drive thru the night on Fridays and avoid two nights of hotels. fourthly, a willingness to stay in some highly questionable hotels. fifthly, a willingness to sleep in my car if I must. sixthly, credit card miles for trips out west and friends in high (elevation) places with comfy couches in the west.

Every thought about the south Bronx. I am not sure how safe it is, but I saw lots of construction there overt the summer, so I am curious whats going on there. It has to be cheeper than Brooklyn but I assume the developers are betting on it being safe for there renters.

KustyTheKlown

Every thought about the south Bronx. I am not sure how safe it is, but I saw lots of construction there overt the summer, so I am curious whats going on there. It has to be cheeper than Brooklyn but I assume the developers are betting on it being safe for there renters.

lots of development there, but no thank you. if anything, i'd move to deeper brooklyn (crown heights, bed stuy, windsor terrace, gravesend, south slope, clinton hill). i'll take my kind of crappy apt to be within walking distance of tons of restaurants, bars, entertainment. i have a girlfriend, but my neighborhood also crawls with single young women, which is nice.

benski

lots of development there, but no thank you. if anything, i'd move to deeper brooklyn (crown heights, bed stuy, windsor terrace, gravesend, south slope, clinton hill). i'll take my kind of crappy apt to be within walking distance of tons of restaurants, bars, entertainment. i have a girlfriend, but my neighborhood also crawls with single young women, which is nice.

I see that. I need to check out Brooklyn, its quite the schlep from Northern Westchester where I grew up though. I am looking to move out west.