• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

let's talk about off map and sidecountry skiing at stowe...

Jcb890

Won't have to, we'll already have a place to crash :D
Damnit, didn't think of that... how did I miss that?!
Okay, so who's the most well-off person on the board? Whoever that is needs to buy a nice big house out West we can all come visit/live at. :D

kingslug

Too bad if and when we move west we wont make the money to buy another mongo house..
Friend of mine on the other hand did exactly that..except he had millions to play with..

Jcb890

Too bad if and when we move west we wont make the money to buy another mongo house..
Friend of mine on the other hand did exactly that..except he had millions to play with..
You'll just have to sell the place you bought up at Stowe ;)
I'd be happy to be able to move out there mortgage-free. Then, I wouldn't have to worry about making big bucks in order to make ends meet or have the things we want.

mbedle

Wouldn't mind simplifying..I'm...tired.

I can't tell you how much I have been thinking that. I honestly do not want to wait until I retire to move up north. Sell the farm, buy a condo and never have to spend every weekend spring, summer and fall taking care of the place.

Hawk

Krusty, you should go back up to he Chin and try again for Hell Brook and the surrounding areas. Just go on line and look at a USGS topo map and in will make more sense. Only one piece of advice. don't no go too far skiersleft or you get into those chutes that lead you down to 108. Some of them cliff out.
Also Bruce trail is good but a little tricky at the botton in the XC area. I would do a little search on the internet to figure out the last piece. There is one or two trail choices that make you life easier.

bdfreetuna

I hope if you do go beyond the obvious choices of Angel Food and Kitchen wall that you give us lots of pics and accurate directions :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
??? Hellbrook proper does lead down to 108. I suppose you could try and take a high line back to the right and catch the Angel Food traverse back behind the utility barns, but it's really much easier to just take it all the way down to the road. Then it's about a mile easy skate back to the gondola base

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ha, I'd supply the snorkel on the tour!

TBH I'd be a pretty shitty guide these days. I probably skied Stowe about 250 days between 95-01. Since that time maybe 20 days and none in the past five years. I still do think the mountain offers the best combination of natural snow, terrain and lifts in the East, but I don't know it like I once did.

Overall, VT is just too busy for my tastes these days. For the most part I'd rather ski Wildcat or Cannon

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

Where did you hear that??? I was looking at the Sugarbush forecast and tomorrow is mostly cloudy highs 20, tomorrow night is low 10, Saturday is high 15, Sunday is High 17. What is going to make is crusty?

cdskier

Where did you hear that??? I was looking at the Sugarbush forecast and tomorrow is mostly cloudy highs 20, tomorrow night is low 10, Saturday is high 15, Sunday is High 17. What is going to make is crusty?

Not quite sure what he's talking about either. Other than a bit of wind, the forecast looks fine. Maybe the "cold" temps will keep some people away, which would be perfectly fine with me!

kingslug

The windchills for top of mansfield..20 below...makes me crusty.. th he skiing will be off the hook..theyre digging out the top of the spruce lifts..massive drifts..place is buried..just going to be super cold..and prolly somewhat empty..gondi on windhold now..hope not this weekend..cold quad..