• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

let's talk about off map and sidecountry skiing at stowe...

KustyTheKlown

it certainly wont be empty either. the workerbees of the northeast are chomping at the bits to hit this snow.

cdskier

it certainly wont be empty either. the workerbees of the northeast are chomping at the bits to hit this snow.

Yes, but if it is cold, at least some of them will end up spending more time in the lodge than on the slopes! Still will be a busy weekend for sure though.

Jcb890

Yes, but if it is cold, at least some of them will end up spending more time in the lodge than on the slopes! Still will be a busy weekend for sure though.
I'm always surprised at how many people shy away when the temps drop to the single digits or below.

cdskier

I'm always surprised at how many people shy away when the temps drop to the single digits or below.

I drew the line at -20 earlier this year (with windchills forecast to be -50)...but anything above that has never stopped me. In retrospect, there's certainly a part of me that wishes I had gone out on that -20 weekend.

KustyTheKlown

right after xmas and the first full weekend of January were wild cold. both weekends I went up to vt and skied, but said fuck it on the last day of both trips.

Hawk

I drew the line at -20 earlier this year (with windchills forecast to be -50)...but anything above that has never stopped me. In retrospect, there's certainly a part of me that wishes I had gone out on that -20 weekend.
I went out that weekend. Put everything I owned on. 4 layers on the bottom 5 layers on top. Mittens with hand warmers.
Skied 5 runs top to bottom on the Mall. I thought the bumps would keep me warm. It worked for 5 runs. Then I lost my feet and called it a day. Pretty cold I would say.

tumbler

I went out that weekend. Put everything I owned on. 4 layers on the bottom 5 layers on top. Mittens with hand warmers.
Skied 5 runs top to bottom on the Mall. I thought the bumps would keep me warm. It worked for 5 runs. Then I lost my feet and called it a day. Pretty cold I would say.

I was out too with everything on plus facemask, first time for that. 2 runs and inside, repeat twice and then to heavy drinking to warm up

Jcb890

That week of brutal cold I went to Stratton when the high was -10 without the wind. I didn't dress warm enough and got sick. Went back out though for New Year's Day at Killington which was colder (-15 at base without wind), but had more layers and was OK.

raisingarizona

No thanks. Being in that sort of cold just sucks. But I am the guy that lives in sunny Arizona. :D

KustyTheKlown

this is how we do it. epic Stowe/mrg weekend with nice sidecountry hits. Ski pic is octopus garden. i dragged three friends around stowe and they were all about ready to die

IMG_6695.jpg
IMG_6696.jpg
IMG_6694.jpg

Last edited:

tnt1234

Yeah, we skipped teh last day of x-mas trip - I think it was -15 at the base before wind, and it was blowing pretty good. Kind of regret it, but after two days at -10 at the base before wind, we just didn't have it in us.

tnt1234

this is how we do it. epic Stowe/mrg weekend with nice sidecountry hits. Ski pic is octopus garden. i dragged three friends around stowe and they were all about ready to die

View attachment 23573
View attachment 23574
View attachment 23575
Nice! I'm curious about that #8 run at MRG. I think we tried to find that las time, but end up wrapping back into Slalom Hill, or something. I guess we just didn't push out far enough. Pretty well established line out there?

And how was that stuff out past Paradise?

KustyTheKlown

#8 - you get off the double and hit either the traverse out at the very top as you get off the chair to your right, or you ski down about 100 feet and hit the traverse to partridge. just keep going past slalom hill. best consistent powder of the day.

past paradise - probably the most exposed and technical run ive ever skied. at top of 'dise continue on teh long trail slightly uphill 5-10 minutes until you come to a clearing. a few normal turns take you to a ~150-200 foot chute no wider than your skis, extremely technical with jump turns required. drops you into some very steep tree skiing which takes you to a set of double mandatory 5-10 footers. one has a tree in the middle of the landing so you need to launch out and turn mid air to clear it. drops you into some very steep tree skiing which takes you to another set of double mandatory 5 footers (pictured above). below that is basically normal steep tree skiing and then it dumps you back on the trail. i would not have skied this without the oodles of fresh snow. these mandatory drops require soft landings.

tnt1234

Lol - #8 - that is the entrance at the top of the double that says "this is not a ski trail" right? We traversed on Partridge, but I guess we didn't go far enough. Few turns in the woods, then we popped back out onto the trail.

Past paradise sounds extreme. Nice job.

bdfreetuna

#8 as shown above appears to be what I described as taking a run with MRG employee in my last Trip Report from a week ago or so.

Fun area.

Have never skied that line past Paradise... and now I never will :D