• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catskills trip advice

KustyTheKlown

Mountain bike trails from the top. It's a roller coaster thru the woods above overlook, then a short drop onto overlook, then thru the trees, back out onto overlook, then into the trees to skiers right of overlook, then hooking back to the tubing hill

if I kept going on run6, I'd have skied down onto the farm next door and wound up on the road. did that one time a few years back with a regular who parked a shuttle car

KustyTheKlown

platty really does not mark their boundary, which is surprising, because multiple people over the years have warned me that the farmer hates skiers on his land and isn't shy to waive around a shot gun

boundary is marked on the triple chair side, I think mainly because the beginner mountain bike trail/beginner tree skiing takes you right there, and they don't want kids getting lost, and because if you go out of bounds on the triple side, you wind up on the other side of the mountain, whereas on the double side all roads basically lead to the road

KustyTheKlown

if you look at a satellite image, you see that the first property next to the hill is a farm along plattekill road. 2 years ago when a local showed me the sidecountry route, he was careful to avoid the farm property line because the farmer is a dick. then yesterday I was chatting with some patrollers who said if I do go out of bounds make sure you avoid the farm because the guy has chased skiers with a gun before, and it causes grief for the mountain ownership/management

They also really don't like people skiing back along the tubing hill, and I had to climb up a bit yesterday after my first trip down the tubing hill resulted in a very stern warning from a rope tow lifty no older than 17

Jully

That's a little frightening about the farm. You'd think the farmer would mark his farm himself if he hated people skiing there...

Can't fault the lifty for doing his job though, no matter how young!

tnt1234

Looks like fun!

Was at Bell. yesterday . Good times. So true about the man-made. The bump runs under and around lift seven were nice and soft. Got into the trees off the HSQ and hiked cathedral brook which was fun but a little scratchy.

Great day all in all....not as good as Krusty's but solid.

cdskier

Looks like fun!

Was at Bell. yesterday . Good times. So true about the man-made. The bump runs under and around lift seven were nice and soft. Got into the trees off the HSQ and hiked cathedral brook which was fun but a little scratchy.

Great day all in all....not as good as Krusty's but solid.

I remember when you could pay a few dollars to take a ride on the Beast to the top of Cathedral Brook. That was pretty cool.

Old Duderino

Thanks for all the replies. Windham out Belleayre in, watch out for the farmer when skiing off trail at Platty.

BenedictGomez

the farmer is a dick. then yesterday I was chatting with some patrollers who said if I do go out of bounds make sure you avoid the farm because the guy has chased skiers with a gun before

I wonder if this is urban legend (or rural legend in this case)? Sounds kind of extreme, lol.

boundary is marked on the triple chair side, I think mainly because the beginner mountain bike trail/beginner tree skiing takes you right there, and they don't want kids getting lost, and because if you go out of bounds on the triple side, you wind up on the other side of the mountain, whereas on the double side all roads basically lead to the road

It looks like one of your runs goes through the trees down and across PowderPuff? Cant tell if you skied to the parking lot, but I've seen people do that.

cdskier

I didn't want to start another Catskills thread, but I'm planning on doing at least one if not 2 day trips up to the Catskills over the upcoming 3 day weekend. Right now I'm thinking Platty on Saturday or Sunday with my dad and then maybe Belleayre Monday. Anyone know what crowds are usually like on President's day itself at Belleayre? I've been to Platty plenty of times on President's weekend so I know what to expect there, but it has been a while since I've been to Belleayre at all so trying to determine if it is worth it.

Bandit2941

I didn't want to start another Catskills thread, but I'm planning on doing at least one if not 2 day trips up to the Catskills over the upcoming 3 day weekend. Right now I'm thinking Platty on Saturday or Sunday with my dad and then maybe Belleayre Monday. Anyone know what crowds are usually like on President's day itself at Belleayre? I've been to Platty plenty of times on President's weekend so I know what to expect there, but it has been a while since I've been to Belleayre at all so trying to determine if it is worth it.

Typically President's day itself at Belleayre isn't too bad. More like a regular Saturday. The Sunday before President's day is typically very busy. You have the right idea to do Plattekill Sunday and Belleayre Monday.

skimagic

Does anyone know if the East Peak area of Windham is shut down for midweek only, or for season? That side torched out?

According to mountain OPS, the East Peak area is closed for the season even though 2+ feet will fall today. This seems kind of early to close a major terrain pod (1000' vertical).

skimagic

Hunter west side??

Whats the deal with the Hunter west side? are the expert trails over there toast? I was thinking of going tomorrow but it was almost 50 degrees and the steep trails were closed, only one lone blue and a HSQ open. im not familiar with Hunter, only been once 10 years ago.