• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keystone 2/5/17

dlague

Conditions: PP to Firm

We headed to Keystone for SB Sunday turns. We did not have a real plan out side of skiing some of the back peaks beyond Dercum. In particular, we wanted to ski The Outback. Turns out we never made it. I wanted to hit a few bump runs and conditions looked pretty good. In the end we only did two bumps runs and my wife was not thrilled - she dislocated her knee while at the Summit at Sugarloaf last season and according to the x-ray, she actually fractured her knee cap as well. She kept skiing into June and still is now but it has been getting worse and after a trip to the Ortho, the doc told her no bumps. Oops! She felt it was going to be OK but mid way down the second run she was feeling it, with no way out. We then went to the beach chairs at the base of Santiago Express for a Bloody Mary and an IPA to give her knee a break. I was feeling bad. BTW the bumps were a combo of firm with some soft snow but skied nice.

After that Experience, I started looking at the grooming report and found Starfire to be groomed and opted for a steeper run. I do find that Keystone Blues have decent pitch and there are runs that would be classified as black at most resorts back east. Starfire was pretty firm with a layer of PP so there was some scraping going on but it still tracked really well. My wife was skiing groomers really fast so we stuck to those for the next couple hours. We headed back to the front-side and skied Wild Irishmen, Paymaster and Frenchmen as they were skiing real fast. We were taking the rollers and launching which seemed really fun, we were also playing with fun spots off the the sides of the trails. When we went in for lunch we decided to ski off Peru Express and let our son play in the park for a bit and skied Go Devil which is a really nice run with intermediate bumps. We had a great day and really enjoyed how fast everything was.

There was a Patroller that picked us out of the lift line which was a little long and had us cut to the front with him which was cool.

Last edited:

dlague

where are pics?
why did patroller pull you out of line?
He was going up by himself and need three people. He said they usually pick a family. He also recommended Mary Jane.

Pics!

North Peak

f5cde006fecd762bf0dd1b7f21a9bdd7.jpg

Part of Area 51

dabd171f68d149b8e34171c84882ab52.jpg

Go Devil

949a942ee08fdfdeec18129a4a6c1360.jpg

Under Peru Express

d288e12d8027a94a5c3c79e74db5caab.jpg

Bump Break

f790a0cf340a1f0f7f3012bf5f61972c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

dlague

Down Mineshaft

43989dc411ed55e0a8ce6517b47caf6b.jpg

Up Mineshaft

06b22d65339f1b3d825cd916ed096e43.jpg

Son going over feature in Area 51 with town as back drop

e37d0a1b2ebb17868990a76f8ccd8c1b.jpg

Under Peru Express before Area 51

d05dff8fc137378b92f7a9e82115f76d.jpg

Beach chairs at Santiago Express base - real cool vibe here

9ce9874148d4c2443184303e2cd401d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Jully

Looks real nice! That is a real shame about the bumps though! Your reports have definitely put Keystone higher up on my radar for any future trips to Colorado.

4aprice

I absolutely get where you are coming from. My wife had her knee "rebuilt" several years ago and can only take limited bumps (low angle mostly). We had one late afternoon run in Colorado, which we really hit by accident, where she tensed up and took a while to get down. (bad light didn't help either). We've stopped for the "bloody" (her) and "R&C" (me) many times.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Looks real nice! That is a real shame about the bumps though! Your reports have definitely put Keystone higher up on my radar for any future trips to Colorado.

It is definitely worth it! Fast lifts, with a lot of terrain below tree line - like a New England resort on steroids! Cash in hand cat skiing above tree line. Wide open and tighter trees, pretty darn good bump runs. And you can ski 290 acres after dark until 8 PM all on one lift ticket. There are two different base areas - one on the Peru Express side that feels more old school and then the village side which a cool place to walk around for a bit.

Parking is tough, but there are free parking shuttles and they are convenient (what we have done a few time now). Parking close cost $'s and usually a line.

my 2 cents!

gmcunni

only skied KStone once several years ago. your comment of "new england on steroids" is how i remember most of today. i was skiing with my kids and we stayed mostly on what i ignorantly called the first tier of the mountain. it wasn't until later in the day that we went back to the higher peaks and i found that much more enjoyable... but it was early in our trip and daughter was badly affected by the altitude in the afternoon so we cut the day short.

benski

It is definitely worth it! Fast lifts, with a lot of terrain below tree line - like a New England resort on steroids! Cash in hand cat skiing above tree line. Wide open and tighter trees, pretty darn good bump runs. And you can ski 290 acres after dark until 8 PM all on one lift ticket. There are two different base areas - one on the Peru Express side that feels more old school and then the village side which a cool place to walk around for a bit.

Parking is tough, but there are free parking shuttles and they are convenient (what we have done a few time now). Parking close cost $'s and usually a line.

my 2 cents!

How far are the free lots that require a shuttle? I find busses to be better then driving when the routes when the route when reasonable priced and routes work well.

dlague

only skied KStone once several years ago. your comment of "new england on steroids" is how i remember most of today. i was skiing with my kids and we stayed mostly on what i ignorantly called the first tier of the mountain. it wasn't until later in the day that we went back to the higher peaks and i found that much more enjoyable... but it was early in our trip and daughter was badly affected by the altitude in the afternoon so we cut the day short.

I think North Peak and Outback are the better sections. The front side is made up of greens and blues. The blue trails on the front are really good runs though and very long. The Gondola travels about 1.8 miles from the Village to top of Dercum so every run is 2 + miles. But very few bump runs.

The other peaks have shorter runs but better pitch. The two bump runs on north peak pictured above are a little longer than Superstar at Killingon and have a constant steeper pitch but overall equal average pitch as Superstar.

jimk

I have a friend out in CO who swears by those Ruby and Santiago chairs coming out of North Peak base at Keystone. Says he has gotten more than 70k vert at Keystone in a day using them.