ABC's ski bumming season 2017, Part II, North America - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm kind of behind in my trip reports. While I'm still catching up on my Colorado stay, I've already moved on to Utah, skiing Park City and Alta/Bird this week. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...-two-mountains!

Condition at Park City wasn't the best due to rain/wet snow Saturday. So I cut short my stay at Park City and moved over to Salt Lake side. and skied Snowbird & Alta instead. I'll write up a bit more detail in the next couple days.

In the mean time, I've fielded several phone interviews (I got very good at fishing out lodges that has good cell reception and not too noisy), which led to an in person interview next week. So I'll be taking a quick break on my non-stop skiing to fly back east for a bit. That also gives me a chance to pick up a few things I forgot to take when I left home a month ago.
    Last edited by abc; Mar 1, 2017 at 9:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I'm kind of behind in my trip reports. While I'm still catching up on my Colorado stay, I've already moved on to Utah, skiing Park City and Alta/Bird this week.

Condition at Park City wasn't the best due to rain/wet snow Saturday. So I cut short my stay at Park City and moved over to Salt Lake side. and skied Snowbird & Alta instead. I'll write up a bit more detail in the next couple days.

In the mean time, I've fielded several phone interviews (I got very good at fishing out lodges that has good cell reception and not too noisy), which led to an in person interview next week. So I'll be taking a quick break on my non-stop skiing to fly back east for a bit. That also gives me a chance to pick up a few things I forgot to take when I left home a month ago.
    Awesome on the interview. Too bad about PC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Yeah, I'm bummed about Park city too. I had high hope for checking it out. But the timing just wasn't the best.

Snowbird is skiing great. It's just high enough to escape the wetness. Tons of snow and blue bird days. Will post pictures later ( heading over there today, before flying back east in the evening )
    Last edited by abc; Feb 16, 2017 at 6:09 PM.

After a break back in the east, I picked up some of my forgotten items (a few extra layer, I was cold; another pair of poles WITH POWDER BASKET) and headed back to Salt Lake City.

The weather pattern had completely changed the landscape. While I was away, 30-40" of snow had been dumped on all the Utah mountains. And the forecast is for another foot or so in the Cottonwoods canyons, and Park City too.

Originally, I was going to drive up to Jackson and ski there for 2 days (burn the 2 free days on my MCP pass). But with the forecast of significant snow in Utah the next 36 hrs, I decided to stay at Salt Lake instead. I'll give Park City another chance, now with more snow. Or in the worst case, I could go back to Alta/Snowbird for another day too. Could be epic!

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    After a break back in the east, I picked up some of my forgotten items (a few extra layer, I was cold; another pair of poles WITH POWDER BASKET) and headed back to Salt Lake City.

The weather pattern had completely changed the landscape. While I was away, 30-40" of snow had been dumped on all the Utah mountains. And the forecast is for another foot or so in the Cottonwoods canyons, and Park City too.

Originally, I was going to drive up to Jackson and ski there for 2 days (burn the 2 free days on my MCP pass). But with the forecast of significant snow in Utah the next 36 hrs, I decided to stay at Salt Lake instead. I'll give Park City another chance, now with more snow. Or in the worst case, I could go back to Alta/Snowbird for another day too. Could be epic!
    Nice ABC, Nice. You going to be out there (Ut or Colo) in March?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'll be touring the west coast. Whistler & California.

Probably back to CO in April on my way home.

So do you think returning to suburbia is going to be a difficult adjustment after all this travelling? Will you maybe start making a plan for a more permanent move, like saving a pile of money-live lean for awhile while working?

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    So do you think returning to suburbia is going to be a difficult adjustment after all this travelling? Will you maybe start making a plan for a more permanent move, like saving a pile of money-live lean for awhile while working?
    Good question. The answer really depends on the individual's situation, age, family, finances, etc. After my 9 week ski trip in 2015 I went back to my previous worker bee mode in East and periodic ski tripping vacationer. The thing I miss most was how stronger I felt on skis then because I skied myself into shape, but also because I could ski for all day or just a few hours. I was skiing on my terms, rather than because I had to get the most out of a day ticket or pack as much "fun" into a compressed number of days on vacation. Even earlier in my life when I had a season pass and used a family ski house every weekend there was some of that compulsion to make the most of the weekend warrior mentality because I'd made a three hour drive to the ski house.

I think it's too early for that question.

As of now, I haven't quite get up to my previous season total yet. So I'm not sure I'm ready to give up what I have in NYC. Just 1/2 hr ago I got a text from my NY friend asking if I'm available to take advantage of a spare opera ticket! (We're talking about the price of a day lift ticket's worth here)

The other side of the coin, I just skied knee deep powder today at the Canyons. We did our last lap as the loftie were flipping the chair up! I'm still floating high with adrenaline 2 hrs later!!! (http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...ys-Powder-Daze)

I'll be better able to answer that question when I'm done with the season.
    Last edited by abc; Feb 24, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    Will you maybe start making a plan for a more permanent move, like saving a pile of money-live lean for awhile while working?
    Upon further reflection, I doubt it would be "living lean" and "saving a pile of money". It's just not my style to 'live lean". I've always live "rich". "Rich" in experience that is, even though some of those "riches" doesn't cost much money (e.g. cycling)

It is however, more appropriate to re-examine my priorities. Skiing is one of the most expensive of my many hobbies. So cutting back on other hobby isn't going to make much of a den on my finance nor would it go too far to help my skiing addiction. Unless of course, if you count living in NYC being one of the biggest "hobby" (which it is to a degree: opera and Broadway shows pretty much requires living within short distance of NYC, so does good authentic ethnic food).

So there're however, rooms for change in terms of lifestyle though. THAT, would be the trade-off in priority that I'll look very closely after the season.
    Last edited by abc; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:57 PM.

Thread Information