ABC's ski bumming season 2017, Part II, North America - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Just crossed into the state of Washington!

So it turns out my luck was good with the weather. There's a break in the storm, the pass was clear in the afternoon and early evening. I crossed it late afternoon. By then, the road had been cleared of any residual snow from the overnight accumulation.

I'm now north of the border, about 2 hrs from Whistler. Up early tomorrow, hope to be on the slope not too late.
    Last edited by abc; Mar 5, 2017 at 1:50 AM.

I made a big boo-boo yesterday.

After skiing at Sun Valley, I moved on, intending to spend the night at Boise, about 2 to 2 1/2 hr away.

Why Boise? Because it's a decent size city, have many hotels and restaurants. What I didn't count on, was the Idaho state high school basketball championship at Boise this weekend. So all hotels/motels within 50 mile radius were booked solid!

Now, I didn't just assumed there are many hotels and motels at Boise, I actually went online to get a sense of the availability and price earlier! Only problem was, most online "aggregator" sites don't just tell me all hotels were booked solid. It simply listed hotels 50-100 miles away!!!

Not familiar with the name of places, I didn't catch on the fact the hotels listed, with reasonable pricing, were actually 60 miles away!!!

So when did I find out? By the time I got closed to Boise, around 7 o'clock, I started seeing hotels on the outskirt of the city. I then called them to ask for their availability and price for the night! That's when I found out about the basketball tournament and no room within 50 miles!

There's no much I could do but to drive on for another hour and found the last room at Ontario, Oregon!

The good thing about that boo boo is, the combination of an hour extra driving last night, and the pass being clear of snow, I managed to make it all the way across the border, within striking distance of Whistler to ski tomorrow.

(the Canadian immigration officer was quite impressed by my New York state plate. A relatively long conversation on how I ended up in the other side of the continent!)
    Last edited by abc; Mar 5, 2017 at 2:43 AM.

Storm!!!
    (fortunately, this is the tail end of it, and it caught me in the flatland -- rain & slush instead of snow).
    IMG_0809.jpg

Colorful map showing terrain (mountains & wiggly roads -- we're talking interstates here: I-90)
    IMG_0813.jpg
    Last edited by abc; Mar 6, 2017 at 1:17 AM.

So I lucked out with the weather. Sneaking through the mountains in dry Roads

imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and look out of my window:

Attachment 22062

So, the week of skiing at Whistler past like a blur...
    http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...-BC-Canada-3-5

The forecast for Sunday was an unappetizing wet up to 1800m. So instead of paying through my nose for lodging at Whistler on a Saturday night, I left in the driving rain. Being the ultimate optimist, I only drove down valley for 45 minutes. That netted me a room for C$80 (~US$60). I rationalize I'm in position to head back up to Whistler if the weather prove to be better than forecast predicted.

But the forecast was accurate. Early morning report from Whistler was kind of wet in the village and completely socked in top of mountain. I've seen enough of Whistler that I can pass on the rain this time around. Instead, I spend my last day in Canada pigging out on the best Chinese food in North America at Vancouver.

More importantly, I need to formulate a plan of attack for the rest of my ski bumming season, now that Whistler is in the pocket.
    Last edited by abc; May 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    So, the week of skiing at Whistler past like a blur...
    http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...-BC-Canada-3-5

The forecast for Sunday was an unappetizing wet up to 1800m. So instead of paying through my nose for lodging at Whistler on a Saturday night, I left in the driving rain. Being the ultimate optimist, I only drove down valley for 45 minutes. That netted me a room for C$80 (~US$60). I rationalize I'm in position to head back up to Whistler if the weather prove to be better than forecast predicted.

But the forecast was accurate. Early morning report from Whistler was kind of wet in the village and completely socked in top of mountain. I've seen enough of Whistler that I can pass on the rain this time around. Instead, I spend my last day in Canada pigging out on the best Chinese food in North America at Vancouver.

More importantly, I need to formulate a plan of attack for the rest of my ski bumming season, now that Whistler is in the pocket.
    Maybe you should take a drive down to Tahoe, stay cheap in South Lake (there's tons of cheap rooms) and ski sunshine and deep base.

I met ABC in Whistler. Now I am even more impressed with the grand ski sabbatical. Amazing example of independence and determination to transit the continent solo and experience a big chunk of the ski world. This is a person facing a major disruption in work/career and took life by the horns to make it an opportunity for a great adventure! I wish I had made time to discuss your trip with you while we were both at Whistler, there were so many people in the group and so much action going on. Well done and safe travels as you continue your journey.

Jim, thanks for the kind words. Sorry we didn't run into each other until the very last day. I would have loved to discuss with you on that topic since you've done pretty much the same last season.

While I travel alone, a lot of my skiing were done with friends at various locations. Further more, a lot of the stops were on familiar ground from my previous travels. So it wasn't quite as "epic" (i.e. scary) as it may seem. Still, I do have an inkling that my "ski sabbatical" does break quite a few stereotypes.

And I do enjoy the experience enormously, as well as many lessons I learned along the way.

It was great we got to ski together for a few hours, especially on that memorable day.
    Last edited by abc; Mar 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM.

So back to the plan of attack for the 2nd half of my season-bumming.

You see, the 1st half of my season had been simple: to enjoy as many of the Rockies resorts included in my 2 passes (MCP + Epic) as I made my way to Whistler to meet up with the gathering of the Epic "Bears".

But as the weather dictates, I ended up spending more days in Utah and Jackson, and skipping Banff and Revelstoke.

Here I'm in Vancouver, after recovering a little bit, I have to make a plan on where to go next.

I can either go as originally planned, which is head south along the pacific coast till I end up in Lake Tahoe. Tour some of the Tahoe mountains I haven't done or haven't done enough of. Or alternatively, I could double back east and hit Revelstoke and Banff that I missed earlier. But to do the latter would means I'll miss the Tahoe mountains.

Unfortunately, the whole of western US/Canada are under the blow torch this week. Revelstoke is expecting top of bottom rain on either Tuesday or Wednesday! How long will it take for it to recover from that? Banff seems to fare better. But no new powder every which direction I turn.

Then I remembered someone mentioned the new MCP pass for next year. Lake Louise and Sunshine will both get TWO days each for next year. So, rather than just doing 2 days in Banff this year, I decided I'll let it go and wait till next season to spend 4 days there, plus 2 more in Revelstoke.

Going to Tahoe is looking appealing also because my Epic pass will give me UNLIMITED access to THREE mountains: Northstar, Heavenly and Kirkwood. Two of the three I've not ski much: Kirkwood only 1 day and Northstar zero days. Since I'm unlikely to get the Epic pass next year, this is the year to hit those mountains in Tahoe.

I'm missing out on the lovely Canadian dollar discount. Though on the other hand, Tahoe lodging is cheap as chips. So the overall expense will likely be less going to Tahoe.

Tahoe is also under the blow torch right now. But at least there's no RAIN in the forecast! If I can't have powder, the least I could do is be dry!

Also, after a whole week In Whistler which I only saw the sun for at most 2 hrs altogether (on top of the previous week of non-stop snow in Jackson), sunshine and blow torch actually start sounding rather appealing.

So on Monday, I pointed the car south and started the grueling 2 day drive from Vancouver to Lake Tahoe.

At least this stretch of the drive will NOT be mind-numbingly boring as the 3 day from NY to CO through the featureless Midwest In fact, I'm driving alongside the spectacular Cascade range. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of time to detour to sightsee. So, only the occasional glimpse of the snow-caped mountains whenever I could take my eyes off the road (mind you, roads busy enough to almost rival the NY tri-state area)!

IMG_0880.jpg
    Last edited by abc; Mar 16, 2017 at 1:04 AM.

That photo must be a vision of something in the southern hemisphere.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information