• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ABC's ski bumming season 2017, Part II, North America

abc

Actually, I figured out the cause of the problem. But not the solution though.

I took the picture with my left hand (right hand on the steering wheel). So the phone was upside down. Hence the upside down picture.

However, even when I rotate the picture the right way up, then upload it AGAIN to the site, it's STILL showing up upside down!

At this point, I give up. It's 10:30 where I am. I'm going to bed.

dlague

Actually, I figured out the cause of the problem. But not the solution though.

I took the picture with my left hand (right hand on the steering wheel). So the phone was upside down. Hence the upside down picture.

However, even when I rotate the picture the right way up, then upload it AGAIN to the site, it's STILL showing up upside down!

At this point, I give up. It's 10:30 where I am. I'm going to bed.

Technology!

Edd

I think I've mentioned this to you before, abc, but using the app for pics is far easier than screwing with a computer. That's assuming you're carrying an Android or iPhone.

abc

"The app"?

I guess I missed it. I'm game to give it a try, if you would point me to it.

( perhaps the last time you mentioned it, I was in Japan so wasn't in the position to download any apps. Now I'm in the US, am in a much more position to give that a go )

Edd

Just go to the App Store your phone uses and search for Alpine Zone. Download for free and sign in. Easy peasy.

abc

When I left Vancouver, there's forecast of rain for the next few days. And the forecast for Lake Tahoe is sunshine and high temperature. I needed a rest after 3 weeks of almost non-stop skiing, except on the days when I was driving from one place to another.

There's a special concert in New York that I wanted to come back to attend. With snow condition less than ideal and my body condition in similar state, I looked into flights coming back east.

Unfortunately, that's when the blizzard was to hit the east coast. All the flights were cancelled and they all spilled over to the rest of the week. I have no choice but to wait till I get to Tahoe. Reno doesn't have nearly as many flights as Vancouver. But it's a southwest destination so the trade off is far more flexibility on dates even if less convenience in flight time.

I found enough number of flights to choose from for Friday. That left me with 2 days of skiing after arriving to Tahoe. So make the logicstic easier, I decided to stay in Reno and ski Northstar for those 2 days before I head back east for my short break.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...A-3-15-16-2017-Blow-torch?p=975420#post975420

Last edited:

abc

Fast forward a week, the blow torch hanging over lake Tahoe has been replaced by the river of snow again!

By Tahoe standard, a few inches a day is NOT a cause for celebration. They look for feet, not inches. And they got quite a lot of those FEET early this season. So nobody was too excited with the "trickle of snow" that's currently forecast for the region.

My objective is to find the best snow in the whole Tahoe region for the next couple of weeks http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/139251-3-22-2017-Lake-Tahoe

abc

Leaving Tahoe, heading back east, towards Colorado!

Another long stretch of nothing lay between me and my next destination, the Nevada desert. :(

4aprice

Another long stretch of nothing lay between me and my next destination, the Nevada desert. :(

How long you going to be in Colorado? Heading out the 19th through the 23rd.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

PS A lovely place called the Wasatch await you on the other side of that Nevada desert:razz:

snoseek

I've driven that stretch of US 50 a whole bunch of times....Love that drive actually!

abc

I've driven that stretch of US 50 a whole bunch of times....Love that drive actually!
I don't know about US 50. I was on I-80 the whole way, about 550 miles of nothing! :(

(To be fair, there's occasionally interesting scenery part of the way)

IMG_0970.jpg

Last edited:

abc

Another random roadside scenery to help pass the time

IMG_0990.jpg

(US 40, east of Park City)

Last edited:

snoseek

I always prefer 50 past Fallon and through Ely. Its even more remote than 80 but overall a bit faster if going directly to Colorado vs stopping in SLC. I love driving long stretches of empty road

abc

I did I-80 to SLC, then US 40 to Silverthrone instead, with a stop at the Dinosaur national monument.

IMG_0998.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg

Lovely desert scenery:
IMG_0999.jpg

Did a short hike and got to look at some petroglyphs up close:

IMG_1018.jpg

Last edited:

abc

• Aspen had extended their season for one more week. Both my friend and I had Mountain Collective pass we hadn't found time to use at Aspen yet. With Summit county mountains having ho-hum conditions, my friend was in the mood for a mini-vacation: 3 hrs away from home base, overnight at Aspen at a time when we can get cheap lodging, plus a couple of "side activities" along the way.

Sunday (4/16), Cycling the Glenwood Canyon bike path at 70 degree sunshine while watching brave kayaker tackle the (must still be very chilly) white water in that stretch of the Colorado River.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

30 mile round trip (mostly flat) for a first bike ride of the season. Feeling totally invigorated, and awaken my hibernating cycling interest!

Monday (4/17) Aspen Mountain: Blue bird day. Surfing cream cheese smooth groomers and soft bumps, with only one episode of getting stuck in a slope with inadequate cover.

We must be the only out of town tourists there! Everyone we met on the chair/gondola/slope were locals. It's also evident from how proficient the skiing of everyone on the slope.

A quiet picnic at the deck of Ruthie's (closed for the season). Having the gorgeous Aspen Mountain pretty much to ourselves.

Beer at Harp Culture to top the day.

Tuesday (4/18 ) Grand Junction: Biking the 20 mile "Wine and Orchard" loop at Grand Junction. Unfortunately, most of the wine tasting rooms were not yet open (or perhaps due to it being on a weekday?). So we had a good ride without the interference of alcohol.

Trailhead:
    IMG_1098.jpg

Vineyards and orchards:
    IMG_1095.jpg

The unspent time we allocated for wine tasting was instead used for a stop at a Mexican Tamale factory for some freshly made Tamales, which was then followed by ice cream at the Graff Dairy.

On our drive back, we stopped at the Iron Mountain Hot Spring (near Glenwood Spring) for a relaxing soak while watching the sunset behind the mountains.

( sorry, I can't seem to be able to delete the sideway picture, or any of the other pictures already uploaded. So I am maxed out on the five picture per post limit. The best picture which I save till last didn't make it)​

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

jimk

ABC, I'm enjoying the cycling and other non-ski pictures. Would love to ride that Glenwood Canyon bike trail, spectacular piece of highway engineering. I made the roundtrip drive from Virginia to Lake Tahoe with stops in CO, UT and WY in 2015 and drove many of the same routes you took. Route 40 from Park City to Glenwood Springs is a very remote drive through ranch lands and canyon country. The kind remoteness where you can't get any stations on the car radio at times:) Those long desert drives make you appreciate the beauty of the mtns even more.