• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback 2/11/17

medfordmike

I don't think I have missed a Saturday skiing since Christmas Eve but I am on big project for work and needed to put in some time today. So headed up to my weekend place early hoping to get a half day in at Pico or Skiway in the afternoon but lost time due to the roads up from Boston. Worked remote a couple hours and before I knew it most of the day was gone. Thankfully Whaleback is very close and they do a last two hours of the day special for $20 (they also do $20 for Sunday mornings as well). I figured two hours was better than nothing.

Fourth time this season for me at Whaleback but the first time that more than one run was open from the top. I am usually there Sunday morning and just lap the run from the top for two hours before heading back to Boston. In fact some runs like Fluke and Ivory Run were open that I have not been on in a more than a season. Coverage was great. If this storm tomorrow delivers they will be in really great shape for Presidents' Week. The naturals were fun but a big storm would really make them shine. They definitely don't groom the place flat. Face looked nearly ready to open.

Whaleback really has very engaging terrain for a community mountain. While they lack the snowmaking resources of others they have made improvements each of the years since the non profit took over. I always forget how playful the mountain is when you can't get out on the most/all of the terrain. Glad I got there today to be reminded even if it was only for two hours.

IMG_1129.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg

Savemeasammy

That was the best day of the season so far for the whale. It's really great to have some natural terrain to ski, and the addition of several west side routes like fluke and the various trails below it, make the mountain so much more fun to ski. Belly up (top section), Jawbone and Kraken also opened on Saturday. The Face was due to open, but snowmaking ran longer than expected, so it didn't happen, but it sounds as though it will be open today (2/12). If the storm delivers the way we all hope, the entire mountain should be wide open!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

medfordmike

Love it. Hope to do a tour of smaller hills like that I've been mostly missing one of these years. Having kids should do the trick!

Sent from my LG-D850 using AlpineZone mobile app

I have no kids but look forward to skiing with my three nieces someday down in CT where they live for a similar reason. It will give me an excuse to finally try Mohawk and Sundown! I have been teaching my husband to ski this year and it has given me a new appreciation for how fun even a low blue can be for someone new : - ). I really enjoy seeing him enjoy getting his ski legs.