• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GOS and Sherb

wtcobb

Toured up to GOS on Saturday. 3-4" of light fluffy pow on top of a half inch crust. Visibility at the slide was minimal.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1487009369.892499.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1487009150.807101.jpg

Given the new snowfall and sketchy visibility we didn't venture up into the slide, stopping just at the base.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1487009226.509808.jpg

Ride down was tricky for the first half: punching through the crust made for difficult & desperate turns. I had my ski ripped off under the crust for a good tumble in some soft fluff.

Second half was beautiful skiing. By that time the conga line had started up.

Back down at Pinkham our group of four was halved. My friend and I warmed up and rested a bit before committing to a second run of the Sherb.

Skiing was great down the Sherb but by that point our legs were pretty trashed. Solid day out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wtcobb

Thanks man - it's a great tour to a very remote feeling area even though it's only 2.5 miles from Pinkham, and just on the other side of Boott Spur from Tucks. I'm definitely planning to get back to ski the slide in better weather.

bdfreetuna

Does it get enough traffic to get kind of bumped up in the spring like Hillmans?

I have to get into this one of these days. More adventure, more exercise, less crowds and $. Have watched a lot of YouTube and whatnot of skiing ravines in the Presidentials, it really does seem like those runs are often well worth a day of effort.

wtcobb

Not nearly as much traffic as Tuckerman, but the aspect is better for sun exposure that Hillmans. Corn fields :p

It's definitely a great and different take on skiing. It opens a lot of possibilities, even on resort - I've been joining a group of friends on Wednesday nights to skin & ski Burke. Some smaller tours, like just hitting the Sherb, are done in a half day if you get an earlier start, leaving the afternoon for resort or anything else you put off to go skiing.

It's a whole lot more exercise than a normal day at the resort - I need to really up my skinning fitness, I was burnt Saturday after these two laps and I consider myself in pretty good shape. People always question sacrificing the downhill experience for the uphill (lighter equipment where you can't ski as aggressively), but if you're trashed after the uphill you're not skiing hard downhill no matter what you have on your feet. For me getting the exercise and endurance training is part of the draw, not just a means to an end.

There's a ton out there to ski, and on the busiest weekends I look forward to the skin track over the lift lines.

Basically, get after it! The effort is well worth it, as you say.

Bumpsis

Great report and comments on your skinning experience. It's good to hear that the Sherby got some nice cover. The hike up just to the top of Sherby with downhill skis and boots (I don't have randone equipment) on one's back is a good prep for Tucks later on this spring. I certainly will try for Tucks this year.