• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Presidents Day Weekend - Catskills? PA?

catskillman

I would avoid Hunter at all costs. The weekends have been insanely crowded. The 6 pack and quad lift lines now meet on a regular basis. F lift is a wildcard. It was not running again on Saturday afternoon. Even the D lift (triple) had a 15 minute wait.

They now consistently get 20+ buses on Saturday & Sunday, about 700 passholders and 5-6,000 others. The mountain just cannot handle the crowds. and they keep selling tickets...... Check the lift lines before you purchase a ticket!!!

Everyone understands they are running a business, but they need to think about the experience also.

kingslug

I would avoid Hunter at all costs. The weekends have been insanely crowded. The 6 pack and quad lift lines now meet on a regular basis. F lift is a wildcard. It was not running again on Saturday afternoon. Even the D lift (triple) had a 15 minute wait.

They now consistently get 20+ buses on Saturday & Sunday, about 700 passholders and 5-6,000 others. The mountain just cannot handle the crowds. and they keep selling tickets...... Check the lift lines before you purchase a ticket!!!

Everyone understands they are running a business, but they need to think about the experience also.
yup..sad but after 20 years going there, its fading for me..too insane. But..its the closest option and has better terrain than Bell or Platt. I use it like a gym, keeps me in shape for other mountains.

Smellytele

Got a question. Outside of Monday, how many schools take the whole week off anymore? In our town, when my kids went to school, it started with them getting a week and then it was cut to like Monday or maybe Friday and Monday. They basically voted it out.

I will be in PA, getting yo-yo runs in early (1st tracks), fixed grips and bumps.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

In NH my kids do not have Prez week off, not even prez day. They have the following week off which is nice because there are no crowds and most ski areas are not charging holiday week prices.

tnt1234

In NH my kids do not have Prez week off, not even prez day. They have the following week off which is nice because there are no crowds and most ski areas are not charging holiday week prices.

That is so sweet.

tnt1234

yup..sad but after 20 years going there, its fading for me..too insane. But..its the closest option and has better terrain than Bell or Platt. I use it like a gym, keeps me in shape for other mountains.

So, though I grew up skiing in this area, for whatever reason, this was my first time at Hunter. Went three times before X-mas, and had a blast. Never had serious lines. I think maybe Dec. is the key to Hunter? We haven't been back since X-mas for fear of the lines, plus Bell has been really nice.

Going to Bell Saturday. Dream Catcher and soft bumps FTW....

BenedictGomez

This relatively new phenomena is the most BS'iest thing to hit the ski world. The ever-expanding holiday periods. For instance, all next weekend is "Presidents Day Holiday" period for Smuggs. Grrrrrrr..... Some tag days on to MLK too.

x10003q

Drive right past Belleayre to Plattekill. I have been at Platty on holiday weekends and there is rarely more than a few chair wait. With all the snowfall, Belle and Hunter will be crazy crowded.

catskillman

so many many say the same thing......the crowd at the bar is now young thuggy kind of guys, hardly any females ever, skiing was always male dominated, but the females were fun and athletic,

They drink PBR out of the can ... surprised that peak is courting this clientile...........

tnt1234

Drive right past Belleayre to Plattekill. I have been at Platty on holiday weekends and there is rarely more than a few chair wait. With all the snowfall, Belle and Hunter will be crazy crowded.

would love to, but it's just a little to far for a day trip.

cdskier

Well even Platty was crowded today (by Platty standards). There was around a 4-5 minute lift line at the double at times!
16832231_1769349933090419_647333699106514879_n.jpg

As I was leaving I couldn't believe how far cars were parked down the road. They had to be at least a mile down the road from the mountain.

Cornhead

Well even Platty was crowded today (by Platty standards). There was around a 4-5 minute lift line at the double at times!
View attachment 21892

As I was leaving I couldn't believe how far cars were parked down the road. They had to be at least a mile down the road from the mountain.
Heading there tomorrow, good for Laszlo, help to finance empty powder days, like last Monday. I must say, it is strange to see cars lining the access road. I can remember a day, or two, like that the last few years. Long live Plattekill!

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

Went to Belleayre yesterday - based on the parking lot, thought it was going to be a zoo, but crowds weren't terrible. Lines at the super chief, but hardly any lines at 7 or tomahawk.

Great day. Spring skiing in Feb.