• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hopes for Longevity: 99-year-old skier

wtcobb

Here's hope I can get another 60+ years out there.

https://youtu.be/J3QXbS_NJ74

"When you're skiing powder you either float through it easily or you get tired... I hate to admit it but I got tired."

Not bad for nearly a century, man.

"Powder makes you happy. You don't always have powder, but when you do you really have to go for it."

Wise words.

"I've learned you've got to love it no matter what kind of weather you've got. Or else you're not a skier."

Hell yeah.

wtcobb

Not only skiing at 99, but skiing well in powder. Impressive.

Right? I saw another post that said his son told him to stay on the groomers and take it easy. He skied past a sign warning "grooming ends" and laughed, saying "whoops!"

Here's hoping we all make it there.

SkiFanE

Only way to make this story more than perfect is if he lived on bourbon, cigars, bacon and eggs lol. May we all be so fortunate and healthy!

Smellytele

Over the years I have run into my Uncle who is now 85 skiing and take a few runs with him. He is also always in the bar after drinking Manhattans.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am so glad you posted this. I am a member of Ski Utah and saw this....it was moving. I was going to post it as well!

jimk

Thanks for sharing. That wasn't just about enjoying skiing, it was about enjoying life!

mriceyman

First goal: make it to 99
Second goal: make it to 99 in good enough shape to still ski!

Im 32 and give myself 1% chance of making it until 99 at all

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimk

Im 32 and give myself 1% chance of making it until 99 at all

Better plan for a long future just in case. I heard a quote from Sen Ben Sasse the other day speaking about fixing health care entitlements. He said his five year old son statistically has a 50-50 chance of living to 100.:-o

mriceyman

Better plan for a long future just in case. I heard a quote from Sen Ben Sasse the other day speaking about fixing health care entitlements. He said his five year old son statistically has a 50-50 chance of living to 100.:-o

Yea we have short and long term all covered.. thats a crazy stat.

dlague

This is very inspiring! We met an old gentleman at A Basin with Soul 7s and he skis every other day. these are the type of people that encourage me to want to ski as long as I can. More power to him!