• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keystone

dlague

Keystone 2/17/17

Conditions: Very firm with 1 inch of fresh, bumps rock hard

My wife was on travel and my son had the day off from school so I planned to take him to Keystone for an Outback session. That did not pan out. It has been warm (40's) during the day and freeing at night and we all know what that means. My wife was flying into Denver at 3 and we started skiing around 9 parking in the lot next to the Peru Express. Being a Friday it was not busy so that was good.

Our first run was from the top of Area 51 to the Village via Pay Master some short trails then Dercum's Dash. Immediately, we knew it was going to be a fast day on groomers and no bumps or trees until it warmed up. We reconsider the Outback and skied everything blues or black that was not bumped - five fast long runs off the Santiago Chair. We actually had a blast since at high speed on firm there is an adrenaline rush. My son and I were blowing the doors off anyone on the trail. For western skiers this was ice for New England skiers this was really nice fast conditions.

Around 11 we went to the Outback and headed into the trees and immediately bagged it. Edges were not grabbing real well and it was not worth it. We then considered a bump run and watched a couples skier on it and once again bagged it. They were the first people seen by us on a bump run. We then decided that with enough time people skiing the front side that things should be good there which they were. Funny thing happened on our way, this guy decided to ski a bump run under the chair with his female counterpart and while he was struggling she was pissed and kept wiping out. What an idiot!

Runs skied on the front side were Wild Irishman, Frenchman and Palmas terrain before returning back to the car. We had a blast hucking over rollers and just challenging each other on each run. The trails were softening up by the time we were leaving.

Overall a real fun day doing nonstop runs. Clocked 22k vert in a little over 3.5 hours thanks to the high speed lifts and fast conditions. That is what the mountain gave us and we took it.

We closed out the session with a tailgate at the car! I think some people looked at us weird while doing that - this isn't A Basin where that is a common theme.

Breckenridge in the distance

dc63641a382a279e9c29f96b8ee9846c.jpg

View since there is nothing to write home about

c129b507b019ffb8be309e7bf6334f97.jpg

50e9c2f2f84feb76604aa500b2d9a487.jpg

07ab89bf473a489e751770fd8ac8f08b.jpg

Do not like dark spots on sunny days! Like cancer to snow.

dbe9b2e006f1c3b4e8f722320fd8f0d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited: