1978 Pico Peak Hang gliding series

AlpineZone

1978 Pico Peak Hang gliding series

Times have changed LOL

Great find. I've always been fascinated with hang gliding. Love the scenery of old Pico too.

I remember watching guys do that off of Mt. Tom at some point in the early 80's...I was really young.

Do people still do that? I wonder what happened to the popularity of it. Regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I remember watching guys do that off of Mt. Tom at some point in the early 80's...I was really young.

Do people still do that? I wonder what happened to the popularity of it. Regulations?
    I think there are a few areas where it's popular but not near me ,seems like paragliding is an easier alternative and doesn't require a roof rack . I think the performance is similar .

Those Delta Kites to me seemed to be pretty fragile, pretty suscepible not much turbulance ,there were a couple crashes in the video series . The Ballistic Recovery systems have made a huge saftey advance if you are high enough.

As far as regulations go near Blairstown NJ is the "Deleware National Recreation Area" Property taken by Eminant Domain to build a Dam that was never built. The glider pilots unfortunate to land there have a nightmare of a time getting acces to remove there sailplanes. So I'm guessing that Fedral property is the same , maybe state to state is diffrent ?

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    I don't know about the rest of it, but the helmets certainly have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by moresnow View Post
    I don't know about the rest of it, but the helmets certainly have changed.
    Gadgets too
    http://www.flymanilla.com/Equipment/...8/Default.aspx

Still 10-15 to 1 glide ratio sucks , guy had some nads to fly over all those trees though!
    http://skyout.blogspot.com/2012/06/play-time.html

Thread Information