• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1978 Pico Peak Hang gliding series

Glenn

I remember watching guys do that off of Mt. Tom at some point in the early 80's...I was really young.

Do people still do that? I wonder what happened to the popularity of it. Regulations?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I remember watching guys do that off of Mt. Tom at some point in the early 80's...I was really young.

Do people still do that? I wonder what happened to the popularity of it. Regulations?

I think there are a few areas where it's popular but not near me ,seems like paragliding is an easier alternative and doesn't require a roof rack . I think the performance is similar .

Those Delta Kites to me seemed to be pretty fragile, pretty suscepible not much turbulance ,there were a couple crashes in the video series . The Ballistic Recovery systems have made a huge saftey advance if you are high enough.

As far as regulations go near Blairstown NJ is the "Deleware National Recreation Area" Property taken by Eminant Domain to build a Dam that was never built. The glider pilots unfortunate to land there have a nightmare of a time getting acces to remove there sailplanes. So I'm guessing that Fedral property is the same , maybe state to state is diffrent ?