• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Day 2 - Steamboat

Whitey

We are skiing Steamboat for the next couple of days. Got our 1st day there on Tuesday. Relatively uncrowded, never waited on liftlines. I can see why it is known as a family mountain. Tons of kids and ski school all over the place. Not a bad thing - got to get the next generation of skiers and snowboarders going. The condo area is basically a small city & that feeds the families onto the slopes.

They've gone thru a bit of their own thaw/freeze cycle out here recently. So in the AM there were a couple of runs where I was thinking to myself "if I wanted to ski this I would have stayed back east". But there was still a lot of interesting terrain to ski. Spent some time in the Morningside area. While it was good I was a bit underwhelmed. Some steeps/trees at top but then very low angle below. I had more fun with the trails on the frontside of where Morningside is, Xmas Tree bowl, the Ridge, etc. I followed a good skier thru a section of The Ridge and ended up faced with a cliff and a pretty steep runout. Not going to be sending any videos of me skiing that to Warren Miller but I navigated it OK.

My boys and their friend took off in the AM and we never saw them again. They disappeared into the woods and rarely came out. One of the great things about raising them as eastern skiers - they don't know (or care) that the locals thought Tuesday's conditions were sub-prime. Ice, frozen hard, whatever - they were in the trees and having a blast.

By the afternoon things really started to soften up. I skied with my wife and basically lapped mashed potatoes runs. It was fun mostly just for being able to ski with my wife and skiing spring conditions. Fortunately she recognized the anguish in my face after about our 5th groomed run in a row and looked at me and said "go ahead, go have some fun. I'll see you back in the condo". Love her. I immediately found some bump runs that had softened up on the mountain. Vertigo was the best of the lot. Just soft spring snow, sun, and big bumps. The crazy thing was there was literally no one skiing these. Had them to myself. I was thinking that 90% of the time I am skiing the east I'd give my left nut for a run like this - and yet no one was on them.

Morningside Park area:
DSC01238.jpg

The Ridge:
DSC01240.jpg

Looking back at the cliff I had to navigate:
DSC01244.jpg

Spring snow bump run (Vertigo) at the end of the day:
DSC01250.jpg

Last edited:

dlague

Those runs look nice! We are planning on an early April visit using a Warren Miller Comp.

nkLottery

Just FYI I was out at Steamboat last week. Go to the Rendezvous lodge, take the South Peak Flats trail and ski the trees skiier's right of that and Rolex. They are unmarked trees but they're shaded almost the entire day--in a freeze/thaw cycle you'll find the best snow on mountain right in those trees. Just go for em. I've attached a screenshot of the map and circled those trees in red

boat.jpg

Steamboat's a great time. When it's prime conditions it's got arguably the most fun tree skiing out there. Morningside is a pretty low pitched area but it's fun to lap when there's no line and the snow is good. The runs off the front side of Mt. Werner off Morningside are pretty sweet too even though there's a good amount of flat you encounter after. My favorite runs over there are the "Chutes", Christmas Tree Gulley, and North St. Pats (which requires the hike). There are also some great trees in the Closets/Shadows near the top of the Storm Peak lift that you should check out.

JDMRoma

Great pics ! And I'll second the Closet/ shadows ! Nice glades with a decent pitch if I remember correctly!

Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Whitey

Day 3:

Paid the price for Tuesday's corn harvest. Froze solid overnight and day 3 was hard and fast. Boys bailed after a couple of runs and I stuck around until 2PM. Upper mountain was the best place to be as it hadn't thawed as much and still had some decent conditions. Did Xmas bowl a couple of times. Gave up and went snow mobiling in afternoon

Sundown express to morningside:
DSC01254.jpg

Xmas trees west bowl:
DSC01256.jpg

My boys (+ 1 friend) on snowmobile tour:
DSC01286.jpg

Great view from snowmobile tour:
DSC01276.jpg

Whitey

Day 4:

Started to snow. Not enough at first so we laid back in the condo and tried to let the snow build up. Went out at lunchtime. Didn't snow hard enough to really make a difference but it did help. By end of day we had some runs around morningside and the Xmas tree area that had boot top new snow. Had fun playing in trees upper mtn but down below it was a tough mix of frozen bumps with an inch or two over them. Most trails were a very mixed bag. Some decent to great sections and some just plain bad conditions. Enough good to make it a fun day.

My boys (+1 friend) in woods off of Morningside:
DSC01299.jpg

Xmas tree gulley:
DSC01313.jpg

Xmas tree west bowl:
DSC01301.jpg

Good times:
DSC01309.jpg

nkLottery

The Boat's trying to make a comeback! The pics looks good, the conditions look fun enough to get some good runs in. Nice that you took a pic of Sundown Express -> Morningside trees. That's the best part of morningside--entering at the Sundown gate, going right a bit

Whitey

Day 5:

Wanted to post an update sooner but work and travel.

We lucked out Thursday night. It snowed about 4-6 inches in the valley so I got close to one of the 1st chairs. This was the gondi line after they opened. I guess in a ski town you're not the only one who thinks "pow day".
Gondi line 1st chair.jpg

With the time I had to spend in the singles line for the gondola, I met a local guy who offered to let me tag along. I was surprised when he headed for the Sunshine Peak area as that's kind of the intermediate area of the mtn. But he knew what he was doing as we found knee deep powder and were skiing a lot of backside stuff and back into the woods. It was an amazing morning. That 4-6 in the valley was a solid foot up top. I've had so few chances to ski powder that deep and light. It was a great morning.

Here is a hacked together edit of some gopro footage I took of the pow day morning I got. It's about 2 min. Sorry no music and not much editting skill either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPSvswHyH4Y&feature=youtu.be

Some more pics - Nice pic of the tree skiing/pow off of the backside of sundial:
DSC01326.jpg

Ditto:
DSC01333.jpg

The Steamboat skiing cowboy wearing a coat of new snow:
DSC01339.jpg

A couple of moose decided to take up residence at some condos near the bottom of the mountain:
2 moose.jpg

mikestaple

That area off sunshine peak is great on a powder day. Looks like you found the secret over there - don't go right when the trail cuts right. Go through over the ridge to the edge of the resort. Then right for untouched powder or left into more glades and avoiding the morning side run out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

That area off sunshine peak is great on a powder day. Looks like you found the secret over there - don't go right when the trail cuts right. Go through over the ridge to the edge of the resort. Then right for untouched powder or left into more glades and avoiding the morning side run out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

I have a story that I may post about my boys dropping in & going the wrong way in that area late in the day and ending up below the morningside lift after it had closed. Me ending up with about a 1/2 dozen ski patrol trying to figure out where they were. . .

Whitey

Great pics ! And I'll second the Closet/ shadows ! Nice glades with a decent pitch if I remember correctly!

I only got a couple of runs in the Closet/Shadows area and it wasn't that great. Hit it after the thaw/refreeze and it was hard as a rock & not a lot of fun. I probably should have gone back there on our last day (the pow day). But it's a big ski area, there was only so many places I could get to in a single day. From what I saw/skied when I did get in there - I can tell that with better conditions it could really be great in there.