• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking in March

chuckstah

If Whitecap is open into mid-late April that'll get me back to SR one more time most likely.
This is SR latest ops update. I'm sure it will change a bit along the way
7d1e5ea14b1cde7b7a8963808f8b0e4e.jpg

As machski has already stated, Sunday River is also blowing this week, and it sounds like more than marketing snow.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
What will be interesting to see is how the WC base may or may not contribute to season length. Obviously they've had numerous temperature swings, but I'm curious if the rock hard base they put down early season ends up helping

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

What will be interesting to see is how the WC base may or may not contribute to season length. Obviously they've had numerous temperature swings, but I'm curious if the rock hard base they put down early season ends up helping

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

My hunch is that it won't make that much of a difference compared to the eventual melting out of a "normal" Superstar Glacier. While they did have more snow down on SS earlier this year for sure, let's be honest, the "snow" that's under most any manmade, regularly groomed trail, over the course of a many month season with multiple thaw/freeze ups and/or liquid events throughout the season tends to generally end up as rock hard, glacier quality snow. Also as we all know, especially with Superstar or any other late season rail out there, once the snow from the adjacent areas, off the side of the trail melts off, and/or around a bare spot if they form, the melting occurs not just from the top of the snowpack down, but also from the ground on up as the adjacent mud/dirt/rocks/etc warm up courtesy of the sun.

I get to see this every spring at Mount Snow where when they're done with the post season magazine and video shoots at Carinthia, they plow down the last 3 BIG hits on Inferno into 1 BIG pile, that they then spread out for their annual Memorial Day rail jam - the pile tends to start shrinking more from the sides in, than the top down, once the adjacent snow melts and the earth underneath the pile starts to warm, and the melt water starts flowing under the pile

WWF-VT

My hunch is that it won't make that much of a difference compared to the eventual melting out of a "normal" Superstar Glacier. While they did have more snow down on SS earlier this year for sure, let's be honest, the "snow" that's under most any manmade, regularly groomed trail, over the course of a many month season with multiple thaw/freeze ups and/or liquid events throughout the season tends to generally end up as rock hard, glacier quality snow. Also as we all know, especially with Superstar or any other late season rail out there, once the snow from the adjacent areas, off the side of the trail melts off, and/or around a bare spot if they form, the melting occurs not just from the top of the snowpack down, but also from the ground on up as the adjacent mud/dirt/rocks/etc warm up courtesy of the sun.

That snowmaking will guarantee that Killington has a torch light parade on Superstar with fireworks on July 4th

Kleetus

WOW. Every year for the past few years I've been scared they won't try as hard as in years past, and every year so far I have not been disappointed.

Looking forward to some May laps on SS as my annual season close out. Would love to get some June laps in if they make it. Maybe this will be the year it happens.

dlague

WOW. Every year for the past few years I've been scared they won't try as hard as in years past, and every year so far I have not been disappointed.
I would love to see K make it into June. The tried really hard over the past few years and always made it to the alter but never got hitched. It used to be common many moons ago. That was before GW.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Really hoping Killington makes it to June so I can ride SS. 2 years ago was the 1st time riding in April or May with the last day being May 25th... so close!

CoolMike

Judging by the Killington conditions report today it seems like they are done with snowmaking for the year at this point.

Looking at the 10 day NWS forecast shows that only Saturday night would work for snowmaking and then we hover around freezing at night and well above freezing during the day. That said, making snow the week of March 20th is pretty unusual I think.

CoolMike

Really hoping Killington makes it to June so I can ride SS. 2 years ago was the 1st time riding in April or May with the last day being May 25th... so close!

Two years ago was my first time skiing in May and now I'm totally hooked. I've been looking forward to May turns since the blowtorch spoiled the end of winter (before the big storm came in and saved us).

Last year my wife was 9 months pregnant (37-38 weeks) and I dragged her up with my to Killington so I could get some spring skiing in - it was totally worth it!

drjeff

Judging by the Killington conditions report today it seems like they are done with snowmaking for the year at this point.

Looking at the 10 day NWS forecast shows that only Saturday night would work for snowmaking and then we hover around freezing at night and well above freezing during the day. That said, making snow the week of March 20th is pretty unusual I think.

I think you're right about them likely being done with Superstar snowmaking for the season. There sure looks like there's LOT's of snow on it now, and historically, once they've gotten somewhere around the depths they're looking for, unless they get a multi day, very favorable wet bulb temp stretch, they're not going to fire up the system for a few hours.

So unless we get another GOOD shot of Canadian air for a 48hr + window like we had the last few days, and that's getting tougher and tougher to do with the higher sun angles and April rapidly approaching, while they probably won't be pulling hoses off Superstar this coming weekend, that item on their "to do still" list is probably nearing the top of the list....

dlague

We have a May 28th lift ticket from Killington from a couple or few years back it was their last day before the S opened up. It was a walk on walk off day.

Jcb890

We have a May 28th lift ticket from Killington from a couple or few years back it was their last day before the S opened up. It was a walk on walk off day.

Nice! I think the 25th was that Saturday and I had planned to ride Saturday and Sunday, but didn't wind up riding Sunday due to coverage. I think they remained open that Sunday, but that was the last day (26th). Perhaps yours is from the year prior to that?