Snowmaking in March - Page 16

AlpineZone

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Killington plans on making snow again...

"You won't see any snowguns running Monday, but that doesn't mean that The Beast is done making snow. We're eyeing a cold snap coming Tuesday night that should let our snowmakers get back to growing the Superstar glacier for May (and maybe even June) skiing and riding"

They are always good for the stoke factor.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

I hope to ride Killington in June this season. If nothing else other than to just be able to snowboard in June.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    I reached out to Mt. Snow this morning and asked if they are done. The person who responded to me on their Facebook messenger seemed to think with it being now March 20th that Mt. Snow is done blowing snow this season.
    Considering the amount of snow on the mountain now, the reality of no major melting this week, the chance of some snow next weekend, and only 2 more weekends with items on the events calendar, I'd be surprised to see them make snow again this season.

While I can vouch that as of noontime today there were still some fanguns with hoses still hanging on them, it wouldn't surprise me to see those hoses gone next weekend

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

Other than Killington, I would think it somewhat foolish for anywhere to make snow from here on out. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather see profits saved and spent on off season improvements.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I agree with DHS. Unless you are known for going deep into May and want to add some insurance on making it as far as you want, there really is no point in making snow now. Snowmaking trails should have adequate coverage (especially on spring routes) at this point at most major mountains to last well into April barring any major heatwave.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Other than Killington, I would think it somewhat foolish for anywhere to make snow from here on out. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather see profits saved and spent on off season improvements.

SR wants May 1st and they plan on hitting Sunday Punch, Right Stuff and Obsession. Obsession is critical if they intend to keep the Heat open, it is the access in and out. Especially the very top, it needs more base than it has (the blowtorch did a number to the top of White Cap on the rock face, it's like a damn microwave). This should ensure a long run into April with the WH quad and terrain.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

If Whitecap is open into mid-late April that'll get me back to SR one more time most likely.

Wildcat tweeted the other day #skiuntilmemorialday. While I highly highly doubt that, has anyone heard of plans up there to make snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Wildcat tweeted the other day #skiuntilmemorialday. While I highly highly doubt that, has anyone heard of plans up there to make snow?
    Have not heard anything about further snowmaking. I'm hoping for 4/30. I think that's realistic with the snow they have and traditional business levels if April weather doesn't get whacky. A weekend beyond that would be a great bonus

Thread Information